[AUDIO] Until It's Gone - Listen to Linkin Park's New Single from The Hunting Party

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, May 5, 2014.

1. AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

I disagree. To me, What I've Done sounds super phoned-in. Until It's Gone sounds different and interesting.

Not defending for the sake of defending. Sorry if you don't like my opinion ;)

2. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

It's cool man. You like what you like at the end of the day :)

3. AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

High five for an adult conversation on the LPA!

:awesome:

4. Vic

Vic No game no life

Finally :awesome:

5. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

But did Linkin Park really create a lot of hype for the song? The only thing Linkin Park did to hype up the song (that's a thing, right?) was announce the premiere and release a 15 second snippet of the song. We created the hype ourselves. Especially here on the LPA (not sure how other fanpages were), we were so excited for the song and kept building up the hype on our own. That's not at the fault of Linkin Park, but ourselves. Just wanted to make that clear, I know I'm not going to change your opinion on the song or anything.

6. Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Being in a band that's recorded albums and toured I humbly disagree. It's not like we ever went to the table like "we need a song that sounds like Arcade Fire" or "let's write something that will REALLY sell" but we've certainly written songs in the vein of other songs we had, but more evolved. "Hey our fans LOVE that song, so do we. That was two years ago. Let's see if we can tap into that energy and go further with it." It's a little more nuanced than just "marketing strategy". After being in a band for a while sometimes a poppier song just comes out of you. Or you feel you need to balance your CD with something heavier, or slower, or poppier, or more experimental until you feel it's "done". This isn't everyone of course. Some people are satisfied with a whole cd of balls to the wall, others may done 4 fifteen minute experimental songs. All I can see being in a rock band with female singers, a guitarist and myself who like to let it rip sometimes, a drummer who started out in pop punk bands, a jazz trained bassist and me throwing whatever keyboard and sample I want in there I can understand how songs like "Until It's Gone" happen. When you're a band with no defined genere like Linkin Park it's hard to please yourself. I feel like Thrice was the same way. Coldplay too. Metallica? Not so much, as long as it's hard and fast they seem to be happy releasing any ol' song.

They heard a sound they liked and decided to be brave enough to include the poppy goth rock song instead of being afraid of it. The song sounds soft to me in comparison to GATS but it's still harder than anything on the past two albums and I do want some balance on the CD. 12 tracks of GATS would bore me because I expect such a wide spectrum of sounds from Linkin Park.

7. Stonecold

Stonecold Your Portal To Everything Cool!

this song is cool, and i think it will sound even better within the album...just wait and see! plus i think it will sound awesome live

8. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

T
    I agree! I believe it is track 7?

So it's a perfect halfway point to go from all the heaviness to a tones down track. I'm sure it will fit right in!

9. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I have no problem at all with the sound of this song. There's nothing wrong with having a couple radio friendly songs. Derek explained that well.

It's just those fucking lyrics. It would be MORE radio friendly if the lyrics weren't cringe worthy.

10. lilj4425

lilj4425 Well-Known Member

Wow, the video for this song is near the top of the "most popular videos currently" on YouTube here in the US. :)

11. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

My first though reading this was "Mission accomplished?" :lol:

I mean, the song has all elements to become a hit, so at least it would be nice if it actually becomes one.

Anyway I have to admit it's very uncommon for me to have a song growning on me as rapidly as UIG. Eventually I think the vibe of the track really compensates for the radio-friendly aspect of it... And I feel privilegied of not being a native english-speaker, so that the lyrics don't bother me that much.

12. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

What's so bad about the lyrics? They're too cliché? Even he says it in the song "I've heard it a thousand times before."

13. Crussong

Crussong Member

The song was stuck in my head the whole day at work. Guess thats a good sign then, haha :)
    I like it, i really do. BUT something feels weird.. i'm just missing some kind of.. i dont know.. clear structure :D

14. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I personnaly think they are too repetitive. Not really bad, just not diverse enough.

15. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

+1000. I'm not as affected with lyrics either.

16. mastae

mastae Some Honky

I just heard the iTunes version. That fucking baby cry at the end ahahahha

17. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Much better quality?

18. mastae

mastae Some Honky

Better quality and there's a cool interlude into what will be Rebellion.

19. Pay-per-cut

Pay-per-cut Well-Known Member

It is too radio friendly. With the first single, it was heavy. Then this is released; polar opposites.

Very contradictory to what Linkin Park have been saying in interviews about their album, saying that Rock music is missing something and making it seem like they are here to save the genre, but whatever, every album needs a Burn It Down, What I've Done, and The Catalyst.

20. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

FTFY