Until It's Gone Review Thread

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by EastGhost, May 5, 2014.

EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

The repetitive nature of the pre chorus and chorus sometimes sound like Chester is trying to remember what to say. And then how he sings "til it's gone!" it's like he remembered. I wish he remembered how to come up with better lyrics. Look at Burning In The Skies. Lyrically solid front to back.

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

My first impression of the song was like that of many others here: disappointment.

I was disappointed even though I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. However, the 15 second sampler piqued my interest for the song more than I had been. Yet that interesting part was relegated to the LAST 15 seconds of the song. I wish it had carried on with that intensity a little longer and built off of it, perhaps with an aggressive rap verse/coda for the song sort of like "And One." That would have been an unexpected way for this song to become something more.

I echo the sentiments about the cheesy lyrics as well. After this and GATS, I wonder whether any of the Linkin Park-penned lyrics will be decent at all. "Revolution" sure doesn't sound promising...

On my second and third listens, I respect the song for what it is. I just wish the guitars in the choruses were more prominent. There are actually interesting things going on there, and the synth line isn't strong enough to be so "up" in the mix. But it's a fun enough song.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Lyrics seem really cliche and lazy, but the melody is catchy. Thus, the perfect radio single. It's what I expected the song to be, just not what I wanted it to be.

-NodA-

-NodA- Well-Known Member

Like i said, I like the song but...

lp_meme.jpg

LPGuy

LPGuy Banned

I was really underwhelmed at first, first thing that hit me was the sparse and repetitive lyrics and what I thought was a lack of variety in the song, I said instantly that this was one of my least favorite LP songs and I preferred Valentine's Day, but my mind has changed.

I really like the punk rock composition of this song which starts seeping in half way through. It throws me back to bands like The Offspring which is awesome, LP are on the right track and they've won me over. I was against the hard rock album idea, I didn't think LP were capable of it after Living Things and A Thousand Suns. They've proven me wrong.

My thoughts so far:

Guilty All The Same - 8.6/10

Until It's Gone - 8.7/10

The electronics of the song almost made me put this lower than GATS, but that final chorus after the bridge is one of the sweetest things i've heard.

AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

Ironic that we use a cliche statement to describe a "cliche" song but UIG is definitely a song that grows on you. I liked it but didn't love it at first listen, and now I'm very happy with it ;)

Little over 5 weeks until THP!

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

Isn't it funny how people talk of UIG being a complete cliche, and how many don't like it, when one of LP's most popular songs Numb is quite possibly the greatest cliche song of all time. Nothing against anyone, just funny how it works.

Like really, if you read through Numb's lyrics, you'll find almost every line has an element to some kind of saying. Great song tough. Once that synth starts up, there's no mistaking it. Almost a timeless hit that we'll still be hearing years from now IMO.

Dannje

Dannje Member

I think LP is smart. They have decribed the album as heavy and visceral a lot. Think about this. GATS is exactly as lp have describe it and it represent the hunting party sound and direction. It is a heavy gressive song. As you all know lp have a very wide fanbase. Some like only the heavy stuff, some only like the electronic, and some like both at the same time. Gats is the lead single that represent THP but the fans who doesent dig their heavy stuff will not be interested in that. AND thats why they made/ chose UIG as the second to interest the other part of the fanbase who are into the electronic side BUT still having the DNA of THP in that song. To get the whole fanbase interested. THP will probably be a heavy album but more people will buy it or check it out and in the end it will be better to do it like this than just release GATS only. Its smart.
    And yes. I like both songs

elcappucino

elcappucino Like that.

I actually like it a lot. Even the lyrics. I agree with the cliché statement, but even then, I fucking love it.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I think it's safe to say that everyone who isn't a fan of UIG's lyrics are not people who have listened to Numb even remotely recently :lol:.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

On a side note, between GATS and UIG, I'm such a big fan of the Hunting Party melodies we've heard so far, those seem to be as strong as ever. And personnaly I'd take a good melody/vibe over good lyrics anyday, even if having both is even better :p

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

THIS!

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

UNTIL IT'S GONE

To begin, judging the song off the samplers, I expected a very layered, atmospheric song. Knowing the infamous cringeworthy chorus lyrics, I expected the song to instead rely on range and emotion rather than lyrical value. In other words, I fully expected a rock ballad influenced by Waiting for the End, which I feel is one of the most atmospheric tracks the band has ever released.

Then the 15 second sampler with the heavy outro was released. Most people's expectations radically changed, however mine remained largely the same. My guess was the song would build with aggression over time until the final chorus.

What was released is to me arguably one of the most "epic" tracks the band has released. There's so many incredible layers from the instantly classic synth to the explosive guitar and the haunting choir vocals hidden in the background. The verses retain the cold atmosphere I was expecting and Rob's killer drumming truly hypes up the chorus to be explosive. The instrumental present in this track far succeeds anything from Living Things. It needs to be reiterated that Rob excels in this track: his drumming is a definite highlight for the first time since Minutes to Midnight.

Chester's vocals carry the passion I had hoped for all along. I must say I'm really enjoying his raw aggression on this album so far. It reminds me of a live performance which hopefully allows the vocals to translate well onstage. The lyrics in the verses seem original and fresh to me and up to Linkin Park standards. On paper, reading the chorus lyrics brings a cringing reaction, however thanks to Chester's melody, these lyrics are translated in a way that makes them dynamic and enjoyable.

Is the song better than Guilty All The Same? That's hard to say. I definitely agree GATS is far greater in creating a heavy #visceral track, but there's no question that Until It's Gone certainly has some built-up aggression that would make most modern radio look downright embarrassing.

Rating the song seems pointless until I can hear it within he context of The Hunting Party, but the track's accessibility makes it incredibly addictive to listen to, so it's definitely in the upper class of Linkin Park rock anthems.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Top 3 LP song for me already

JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

The song is a real earworm! Just a little note:
    I kinda don't like that Chester's final scream is not a single, longer scream, but instead consists of two screams with a little gab between each other.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Many bands do it that way. First put out a single that sounds more experimental to attract the inner fanbase then release a radio single 1 month before the album to reach the casual fans.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Seriously?

soun'wave

soun'wave can't shake the shock

personally - I think this is the best Chester has sounded since ATS - something on Living Things just didn't sit right with me

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Linkin Park sure know how to write a hit song.

What bugs me is that they seemingly know only one way to do it.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

What bugs me is that they write hit songs and put no effort into promoting them.