The "How did LP make that sound" Thread - Research

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Arachnids, Apr 19, 2014.

Blackened

Blackened Blackened Symphony

I remember that the vocal skip from In The End when Mike says "Acting like I was part of your property" was actually a glitch when the band played the song while mixing it. They liked it that they went back and added it into the song.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

That was intentional. There's an interview where they talk about how they did a lot of "glitching" on Mike's vocals on the first two albums by taking a clip of a word and duplicating it a bunch of times with short gaps between each "chunk" of it. I think they even used In the End as an example.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Man, I miss the glitching.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

The ''fast cars passing by'' sound in Mike's remix of Victimized. How was that done?

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, that's likely a synth lead run through pedals. You can hear it isolated and stuttered very briefly at 2:16.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I really want to know how they made the synth at the start of Lies Greed Misery.

I figured out how to make the Castle of Glass synth on my own which made me feel kinda cool. Acoustic guitar with distortion effects.

[video=youtube;B1V-rhKESxc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1V-rhKESxc[/video]

Delicious Dave

EDIT: Shit I wasn't meant to double post I was trying to edit it and didn't notice I was actually replying to my own comment. I'm stupid.

jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

If I remember correct that isn't synth but actually a piano riff played in reverse in COG.

Delicious Dave

I'm going to try that now and see how it sounds.

Astat

It's a mix of a piano and a really fuzzed-out guitar (not sure if it's an electric or an acoustic with effects on it), at least one of which is backwards. I think the piano is pretty much "clean" except for being backwards, then the guitar is added as more of a background thing to give it that fuzzy sound.

Delicious Dave

Pretty sure it's acoustic.

One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Hey have some sound again
    1.The intro to "Points of Authority" has something that sounds like beatboxing in it, you know like some beatboxed scratching. Is it just that?
    2.the claniking in "What I've done" what is it?
    3.in "In The End" there are some sentences that have some weird sound effect on some bits of Mikes Vocals. I don't know what exactly it is. But the sound occurs for example when Mike says "Right out the window"
    4. What is the source of that interview that is in the 2000 version of "High Voltage" also while we're at it, why are the curse words in that song censored? after all I think radio never really played it.

Astat

1. Beatboxing, no scratching. Just two tracks of Mike's vocals, there's an "uh uh" track and a "ch ch ch" track. :lol: I think they may have been run through an EQ filter to give them a "lo-fi" sound too.
    2. There are a few noises in What I've Done that you could be referring to, one is the regular drum bit run through a bit crusher-type filter, the other is the sound of Rob hitting his ride cymbal stand with a drumstick.
    3. That's just Mike selectively doubling certain lines of his rap parts for emphasis, he does that on most songs. On In the End, the doubled parts also have echo on them.
    4. Nobody's ever been able to find out where the spoken parts in High Voltage came from. The song is censored because the band censored all of their studio-released music between Hybrid Theory and Minutes to Midnight, with the exception of Collision Course. There are no uncensored versions of the 2000 version of High Voltage, Dedicated, Standing in the Middle, X-Ecutioner Style, and the majority of their live material from that period as well (Live in Texas, live tracks on singles, etc.).

Arachnids

Arachnids The way out is through...

[video=youtube;AoNdzm_OhAg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoNdzm_OhAg[/video]

Does anyone know how to make that Synth sound that's used on the main hook? Starts at 00:43. when the Drums and Rhythm Guitar kick in. Sounds very Numb-esque.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
    Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

What happened before the wall of noise at the end of Roads Untravelled? It sounds more like an accident hit on the guitar than anything that they planned.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, listen to the part when it gets quiet after the bridge when Chester says "and if you need a friend, there's a seat here alongside me"

If that wasn't intentional, I'm more curious as to how they let that get by in mixing.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Not sure how to describe it, but it was just two staccato notes played on the guitar before the heavier guitars came in. It's most likely intentional, sounds too natural to not be.

Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

The timing seems off and that is the only instance which is why I wasn't sure of it. I wouldn't even call those staccato notes either, it sounds like Brad/Mike hit the strings too soon when recording.

Delicious Dave

I really want to know how make that voice effect used on The Requiem, I want to use it in a remix.

Cylock_Dnb

Cylock_Dnb Well-Known Member

Is there a place where I can still find said interview? Want.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

To me, it's accidental, but they figured that it made for a nice "calm before the storm" moment and kept it rather than retaking it. :)