The "How did LP make that sound" Thread - Research

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Arachnids, Apr 19, 2014.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Just random string noise, it usually shows up right before you start playing on just about any untouched guitar recording because you're getting your strumming hand into position, sometimes resting the pick against the strings, etc. Usually gets edited out, but in that case I think it's just something they felt broke up the near-total silence right before the song kicks back in. It's a nice touch IMO.

It's been ages since I heard that one, I THINK it was an audio interview with a radio station during the Meteora period, but it'd probably be tricky to find at this point. I was never big on recording interviews, I just listened when I happened to catch them. I do remember Mike saying the stuttering was a trick they picked up from Don Gilmore, though.

EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

With You had cool vocal glitches.

Also, there are a few things I'm looking for;

01. What's the sound that they used in 1stp Klosr that sampled from the Pokemon movie?

02. What is that background synth/nature like sound at the end of Until It Breaks?

03. What is the intro of Lying From You? Synth? A sample?

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

That's probably just a synth pad.

abbaslp

abbaslp Fortyoneaxes

in the end sample

as we know in the end piano sample is easy to get.but the scratch sound intro? if u see new concerts u can see hahn playing the piano but in old concerts (see live in docklands arena,london) hahn doing that scratch sound.pls help me to get that one.2.the hardest one is CASTLE OF GLASS M.SHINODA REMIX the last vocals and synth and backing sounds r impossible to search.help this 1 too :)

Arachnids

Arachnids The way out is through...

I absolutely love the last 2 and half minutes of the Castle of Glass remix. The backing sound is an arpeggiator sequence, though I'm not sure how exactly the 'sound' is made. It's pretty amazing.

Astat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n4mroSaf4I - 0:13-0:14
    vs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roMB4NabzNY - 6:22-6:23

Joe has never done the scratching sounds in the intro of In the End, that's just a pre-recorded loop. Just watched the Docklands 2001 performance and he's clearly playing the piano melody on his MPC like always.

Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Thanks, I was just looking for the reason that they kept it in. Just surprising that they basically never used that in any other songs.

Bane

Bane Together we'll fight the long defeat

What's the origin of that bit of talking at the start of Bleed It Out? Anyone know what was being said?

Also, the "a true master paralyses his opponent" part in Step Up, does that have an origin or is it one of the band members voices?

Astat

Start of Bleed it Out is Chester talking as he's walking into the studio, what you hear is something like "...all driving, with their heads...out the window! Such great fun!" Just a random snippet of conversation that wound up in there, the sound of the entire band, Rick, the rest of the studio crew, and some other random friends "partying" in the studio is in the background throughout Bleed it Out and that's just what happens to be at the start of it. Kind of cool how you can hear Chester's voice approaching and the door to the studio open and everything though. There's clapping, laughter, people yelling certain lines of the lyrics, all kinds of stuff in there.

No clue where the Step Up speech comes from.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
    Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

This one's for Astat.

Do you know why the intro to A Place For My Head in HT is played on bass, unlike every demo or live version?

Shadow

Shadow The Evil That Men Do.. LPA VIP

Don't remember if it was in an interview or Meteora DVD but that's a vehicle tire burnout sample then audio reversed and slightly chopped?

As for this, I believe that Pokemon: The First Movie sample bit you heard is stock Warner Brothers audio property that Mike must've used for Reanimation. This is not the first time Mike is known to use samples from various sources. He used a sample audio for "Believe Me" in his Rising Tied album from Garage Band another artist Jay Chou (and many others) used the same sample.

Now how I came to this conclusion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avjEZL4eI14&t=5m48s 5:48 - 5:55

That's the original movie as this is a japanese anime that has the original audio source. That sample isn't present in the original dubbing. I am sure is in-house only WB property.

I have a dilemma with ESPNs Playoff intro song, this is also Warner Brothers in house IP. So I am dying to find this variation of the song. And I feel that may be the case with that sound you heard for 1stp Klosr

Last edited: May 30, 2014
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I read somewhere that it isn't a bass

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

It's a distorted guitar through a piezo mic. Whoa. Mystery solved. I always thought it was a bass.

Astat

Not bass. Ibanez guitar with a piezo pickup that's supposed to simulate the sound of an acoustic guitar. Doesn't do it particularly well (acoustic guitar sims have come a LONG way since 2000!), which is why the album version sounds kind of strange compared to every other version.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

How did Brad achieve that killer sound in No More Sorrow today?

Astat

EBow with an apparently-dead battery. :lol:

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

A dying battery on an E-bow wouldn't really affect the tone I would think. It's just vibrating the string constantly.

Edit: Apologies. I just read the Rock in Rio thread. It was definitely apparent that it was a dying battery and not him sucking at guitar lol. Then he switched to picking.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

the synth in the bridge and ending of "not alone" how do you make that sound?

Astat

I THINK it's done the same way the synth solo in the middle of The Catalyst was done, needle drops on a record with various string samples on it.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

That's how The Catalyst was done? That is really cool.