What is the most disappointing thing Linkin Park has ever done to you?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by LPGuy, May 12, 2014.

1. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

The fuck?

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  2. Fury99

Fury99 4EVER LP

Not release a remix album based off Meteora. Still waiting...

3. Gravity_LP

Gravity_LP Well-Known Member

so much hate for meteora ): and i thought living things is the worst studio album of all ( Still love that album though)

Disappointing thing?
    - LP no come to my country D:
    - Recharged
    - Recent music videos

4. Joshua

Joshua is Mr. "to many Mind"

One thing what bothers me is, that they use expletives. I find this stuff unnecessary and it gives me always the feeling of "lack of phrasing" or that they are to lazy making more intelligence lyrics. For me it's better to paraphrase their feelings with certain words, instead of using simple swear words.

5. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I just want to point out that using strong language can help put emphasis on subjects. Just saying.

6. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

During my first couple of years as a Linkin Park fan, I listened to Shinoda swearing in his raps on the Xero tape and the "Hybrid Theory" EP, and, then, there were censored expletives on "Reanimation" and various LPU CDs. Outside of the songs, Shinoda and Chester don't hold back their swearing on-stage, so, to me, it makes sense for them to have used expletives in their music in order to make the lyrics a little bit more relateable.

In my opinion, the expletives have always been used sparingly and tastefully - as a tool rather than a crutch - and "Living Things" even proves that the band aren't completely dependent on them, even after their third and fourth albums.

I respect and understand your position, though. It's not one that's often expressed around here. :)

7. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I agree with Joe. Here's Marilyn Manson's take on the subject (skip to 4:05):

[video=youtube;9T6OsQgk8Wg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T6OsQgk8Wg[/video]

8. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

This. This so much. Strong language makes for strong statements.

Joshua, I want you to consider the following example:

You're stupid.

Okay, that's nice. You're getting a message out there. But it's not strong enough. More complex descriptors are necessary.

You're a fatuous dolt.

That's better, I guess? I mean, you're more specifically conveying the idea you want to communicate, but does it have the emotional impact of what you're wanting to say? Let's examine how different uses of "strong" language can change the meaning and tone of a message.

You're a damned fatuous dolt.
    Notice how your mind reads this sentence. There are several interpretations one can use here. There's an undercut of incredulity along with some possible resignation that the statement will never change. It could also be read as a term of endearment, much in the way the Terminator and Apollo Creed call each other "son of a bitch" at the beginning of the documentary Predator.

You're a fatuous shit.
    All possibility of endearment is gone. Calling someone a shit makes it clear that you are belittling the person in question along with insulting their intelligence. But it doesn't quite go into pure anger. YET.

You're a fuckin' fatuous dolt.
    Notice how there's so much more malice in the statement? Just the use of that curse word adds an entirely new colour to the spectrum of the message.

Now you may be thinking, "Yeah that's true, but that's only because your word choice and examples are [insert complaint here I don't care]". Well let's use the three in random situations and see if the shades of interpretation are still prevalent:

You're stupid.
    You're really damned stupid.
    You're a stupid shit.
    You're fucking stupid.

That guy just ran over a dog.
    That damned guy just ran over a dog.
    That shit just ran over a dog.
    That fucking guy just ran over a dog.

Oooh, there's more opportunity to elaborate with cursing in this example. Tell me how you feel and read these sentences:
    That damned guy just ran over a fuckin' dog.
    That fuckin' cunt just ran over a fuckin' dog.

I'm sure you get the idea.

9. Joshua

I agree with you, but to me this is just 1 of couple possible approaches.

I can express my feelings also with my voice (if it is full of emotions / anger etc.). When i hear "Hybrid Theory" for example, i can feel the emotions of Chester, how angry he was about all the things he experienced - also when i see earlier live performances (where the mien plays another role). I buy his emotions totally. One Step Closer is a good example here. I don't need to hear "Shut the f**k up, when i'm talking to you" to get his point. It's only his voice, it "replaces" the swear words.

One negative example to me is "When They Come For Me". That "Motherf**ker" destroy almost the whole song, also, when it is normally one of my Top 4 tracks on ATS. It's completely out of place. I might be the only one in this whole community saying this (or feeling that way), but that word is just disgusting and demeaning / contemptuous to me. Also, Mike say that word with a "undertone" like: "Look how cool i've said that word". But this is just only my personal impression.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  10. Carnivore

Carnivore Well-Known Member

Mike throwing that chicken fricassee out the window. What a waste of food, he could've at least given it to a homeless guy :D

11. JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

Agreeing 100%. It sounds very arrogant to me. The song would be better if they would have refrained from using this word.
    The opposite example is Blackout, where I think the "fuck it" fits very well.

12. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Yall need thicker skin.

13. minuteforce

I'd definitely agree with you here if you were referring to any of the Fort Minor songs, but I don't hear the profanity that way on "A Thousand Suns" or "Minutes To Midnight", personally.

14. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Listen to the censored version if it bothers you that much.

The "mother fucker" line works wonderfully. As opposed to Fort Minor's "Shit, I find myself...", for example, which sounds forced. The band definitely knows how and when to swear.

15. Joshua

I can say almost nothing about Fort Minor, because i was never really interested in that project, but i think in "Remember The Name" is a similar situation, when i remember right. I would referring this also only in "When They Come For Me" (concerning "A Thousand Suns" and Minutes To Midnight").

I did that couple of times, actually. :shutup: ;).

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  16. minuteforce

AWW, SHIT, you in for a treat now! :phone: Get ready for Shinoda's impressive rhyme patterns and totally-not-forced swearing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9SUZGOOXkY

17. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

They congregated a fan-base comprised of mostly fucking idiots who are extremely close-minded.

18. Joshua

Hehe, true. I can't remember that he is swearing that much in this song, when i listened it the last time couple years ago, sounds really forced^^.

19. Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

What is the most disappointing thing LP has done to me?

Well the first has to be missing out on the LPU Summit in London. I was a LP member at the time and I attempted to purchase tickets for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity but no matter how many times i tried, I could not get through and buy a ticket for it. Sometimes i got the message saying it had sold out. Other times the website would crash, and even after asking help & support I got nothing and being an LPU member from 6-9 it really irked me. All because they had to change the bloody website.

I know its not the bands fault, but I'm still gutted to this day about missing that event

And now I'm starting to regret signing for LPU13 again due to their appalling website and abysmal import charges for the LPU package. :(

20. cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

In Between.