What is your favourite thing about Linkin Park? Why are you a fan of them?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Delicious Dave, Jun 2, 2014.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

There's so much hate for Linkin Park on this Linkin Park fan site. I want to know what you like about Linkin Park? Why did you become a fan and why are you still a fan? For me, I just love their melodies, sometimes great lyrics, Chester's voice, Mike's voice, their cool instrumentals and sounds. Their songs have lots of layers of sound and are very atmospheric and you hear something new each listen(on ATS I discovered some new sound every time I listened)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I came for the angst, I stayed for experimentation. Maybe that's why I'm not as in to em these days. Got out of the angst and they stopped experimenting. Guess we'll see where I stand with this record.

Delicious Dave

It really does suck that they've stopped experimenting. If LP7 doesn't have an awesome new sound to it I'm probably done.

Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

Whatever I'm feeling at the time, Linkin Park has a song specific for it. That's what I love about them: I can actually connect myself to their songs a whole lot more than other bands and artists, not to mention they're awesome whatever their sound is. Not to mention, this band is the instrumental in my life and the guys are amazing people.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

People actually like Linkin Park's music? I came here for the Other Music section of this site.

Anyways, this is pretty much everything I was going to say. Thanks, Abel!

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Became a fan due to Hybrid Theory, stayed because of A Thousand Suns. With LT, I became very uneasy as a LP fan. I will no doubt enjoy THP, but I'm sure it won't blow me away or anything. It seems like now, they are just regressing. They should have continued experimenting after ATS, similar to Radiohead after Kid A.

I feel like I follow Linkin Park out of sheer habit now, rather than truly liking their music. My music tastes have evolved drastically since I was a 12 year old (they no doubt have fantastic songs, but those songs are few and far between). My 12 year old self could have never imagined that I would be open to all forms of music, and even like something that at the time, I would consider "screamo." My younger self would also be appalled that I like Justin Timberlake, and music in that vein. Hell, I feel like my younger self would shoot me, simply for loving Coldplay.

Delicious Dave

I feel like Linkin Park have some of the most wasted talent in music. They can make some incredible stuff but they always go with the same old structures and sounds. It's a shame, hopefully they pull off just one more crazy album like A Thousand Suns before they finish. Linkin Park survived because they adapted and changed instead of sticking with the Nu Metal thing, but now they are just backtracking and make music that is outdated and predictable. I feel like Linkin Park are just lazy. They should just constantly be experimenting. Fuck the whiners who want the nu metal back.

Gibs

They are just falling back on old tricks again. The last 3 songs have all followed the Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Chorus pattern. It's rather predictable and boring.

I have to agree with you. They're doing nothing special. I like Wastelands, but you could place it on Meteora or Hybrid Theory, and in no way would it feel out of place. It's kinda sad.

brady

Except GATS had a one minute and 30 second long intro which is completely unusual for Linkin Park. They don't always need a unique structure to have a unique song.

Gibs

Yes, GATS has a different intro for LP, but it doesn't change the fact that it' not THAT great, plus, the song still follows the same verse chorus pattern. It would work fine, if LP actually did something interesting with the songs, but they don't. It's either typical Mike rapping the verses over some beat with Chester singing some tired melody on the chorus, or the same thing, but Chester sings a moody, quiet verse. It's rather lazy, and uncreative.
    w

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I feel like people keep talking about the genre of the band. I don't a fat fuck what genre they are, I want something out of left field. Something I didn't see coming. THP is far from that so far. It's just pop rock/metal. Like we already have that.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

1. Chester's Voice
    2. They have never put out a bad album
    3. They Seem to care about their fans
    4. One of the best Live Acts IMO

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

In regards to how they're a wasted potential: I agree. It's a talent in itself to be able to express talent to the full ability; one that the band obviously doesn't have, only managing to do it once with ATS, and give or take a few more times before and after. It's one thing to have all the pieces to a puzzle, but another to know how to put it together.

Only out of habit do I still say Linkin Park is my favorite band. They were one of the first bands I really connected with (*sigh* my 12 year old self...) and I still enjoy them today. Just not on the level as I once did, especially after realizing there are way better bands out there.

Gibs

4. Did you even see the Rock in Rio performance?

brady

I like how this thread was created to get away from the Linkin Park hate and actually focus on why everyone likes them, but people still come in here and hate on them. Come on guys, can't we just keep thoughts positive in one fucking thread? I'm kidding getting sick of this place. The LPA has an awesome community, but lately, I'm getting tired of coming to this place and seeing my favorite band being shit on 24/7.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Generally, the "negativity" was explaining why favorite aspects aren't favorites anymore. But yeah, you're right. Personally, I didn't even answer what the OP intended.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I did. Every band has off days, but overall Ive always felt they are a really good live band.

Chester and MIke sing better live than most singers out there.

However, they have nothing on Ed Sheeran live

Gibs

Fine then. What do I like about LP? Hmmm. :obama: I feel like LP's softer material is their strongest suit, or songs that constantly build, or just create a great atmosphere. Songs that do some of these things well, or all of them:

- The Little Things Give You Away (of course)
    - My December (so damn sad)
    - Roads Untraveled
    - Tinfoil / Powerless
    - Robot Boy (them harmonies)
    - Waiting for the End
    - Iridescent (them gang vocals)
    - Shadow of the Day (dat bass)
    - Breaking the Habit

When LP goes more heavy or angsty is when they start to become stale IMO. Though I will probably enjoy THP, I really wish Mike would have gone down the road the "thrown out demos" were going. I feel like LP's better material would have been created from those sessions, evident by LP's great track-record of softer material

It's weird how I listen to mostly heavy music, but want LP to be soft. I've noticed how, even though I listen to mostly heavy music, most of my favorite songs are always the soft ones.

EDIT: Also, Chester's voice, but that really doesn't have to be said, amirite? And the interplay between Mike and Chester, especially on albums like ATS, and LT, when Mike actually sings. It gives a nice dynamic to the music.

Clever Name

Clever Name Well-Known Member

I became a fan when I was 7 years old, when Hybrid Theory was released due to my brother playing them very loudly in his room at the time. Over the past couple of the years, I have come to realize that there are indeed better bands out there, but Linkin Park will always have a special place in my heart.

Things I love about them:

1. Chester's voice. All though, in their most recent shows, his voice has been awful.
    2. Linkin Park are a great bunch of people and love their fans, it's a shame they mostly get hate in return.
    3. Mike's clean voice/rapping
    4. Being able to connect with their music (Live shows included)
    4. Mr. Hahn. (It's a shame his ability's aren't used much on their albums, he's awesome!)

brady

I've always preferred Linkin Park's softer songs over their heavier songs (which means it's pretty logical that Hybrid Theory and Meteora are my least favorite albums). But I've been enjoying the hell out of these three new singles. And it's not just that their new, it's just that it sounds so mature compared to their first two albums (which I think were missing that maturity).

And I also love the interplay between Mike and Chester. Both are amazing singers (Mike needs to sing more), and the harmonies in some of their songs just make the songs that much better. Sometimes that's all you need to make boring songs sound better.

I'll probably list some more things tomorrow, just too tired right now.

EDIT: Sorry for that outburst. I've had a really shitty weekend, and seeing a bunch of hate was not exactly making me any happier.