What is your favourite thing about Linkin Park? Why are you a fan of them?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Delicious Dave, Jun 2, 2014.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Come on, man. I wouldn't shit on Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd like that. ;)

Praydox

Praydox Me, Myself and I

7 things I really love about LP:

1. Chester's voice
    2. Numb, Breaking The Habit (...and Primo)
    3. The unmistakable 'Linkin Park Sound'
    4. Mike's rapping
    5. Their personalities
    6. Live shows
    7. Artworks

AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

I explained to my fiance recently that what I love about LP specifically is that based on my age, I kind of grew up with them. In my teenage years, they released Hybrid Theory/Meteora and it went hand-in-hand with what most teenagers feel at the time. #angst.

As I left my teen years behind, the band left their "angsty" song writing behind and progressed into the MTM/ATS era. It's as if their music matured as I did. Now that I am well into my 20's with a job and getting married soon etc. they are also kind of settling down into what they do best. The band is at a point where they know their strengths and play off of them, kind of like how you settle into who you are once you reach a certain age.

tl;dr I grew up with the band and can appreciate their growth over the years and how their music coincided with a lot of the things going on in my life.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I was lurking, and just signed in to approve this post. So, so true.

That "experimental" thing has become about as hypocrite as it gets. More than often, when I read about it, I understand "LP didn't do what I wanted them to do this time. Let's say the new music is not experimental and that they need to go back to experimenting, so as to justify objectively why they should do the music I like ".

Experimental means trying new things. That's the litteral definition of that term. With THP, LP is becoming more heavier and raw than ever. So, they're trying new things. So, they're still experimenting. Wether people like it or not, that's how it goes.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

When I can't find anything to listen to they are an easy go-to band. They have something for everyone I feel like.

lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

Completely agree. Whenever I want good music, I know where I can find it consistently and that is Linkin Park. At first I was just a fan of their music but I really grew to love them when I started watching the behind the scene music videos where it is just six guys making a lot of music and having fun with it. They just seem like great people to hang out with.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

:chuck:

:shankyshank:

Well that's the misconception here. As good as ATS is, is it really as inivotive as some say? Probably been mentioned before, but songs like "Burning in the skies", "Wretches & kings", "Iridescent" and "The Messenger" are pretty traditional structured songs compared to a lot of ATS and as much as people shit on Living things for being "a back step" or "treading on familiar ground" songs like: "Roads untraveled", "Victimized" "skin to Bone" and "Untill it breaks" are just as innovative as many of the experimental songs on ATS. If the whole album was filled with songs like "Burn it down" then I could understand.

I also wish people wouldn't write off the hunting Party already when it hasn't even been released yet. :dave:

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

This is gonna come off as really cheesy, but...

The integrity, passion, tenacity, and utmost respect they have for their fans, music, and work ethic is what drives me to continue in following the band to this day. They are a band of whom inspires the notion of having an open-mind upon not only music, but all aspects of life; harboring the hybrid theory mindset so to speak. Hands down, some of the coolest guys in the industry today and I'd be honored if I could reflect even half of what they've been able to achieve, promote and inspire from their careers and as human beings.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I don't think the verse chorus verse chorus structure is bad, you can have that structure but make it sound more interesting and have it not be so noticeable. How To Disappear Completely has that structure but it's not very obvious. The song changes and stays interesting throughout. One of my favourite Linkin Park songs is Wretches and Kings, it has that structure but it sounds so different, both Mike and Chester sing and rap in a way they haven't before. But with Wastelands it sounds like an unfinished Meteora demo that they finally decided to finish. Until It's Gone sounds like New Divide with worse lyrics. GATS is the best of the 3 so far but nowhere near being one of their best songs.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

[​IMG]

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Did you know that Paul Heyman's client Brock Lesnar conquered the Undertaker's undefeated streak at Wrestlemania?

Paul Heyman's client BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAWCK LESNAAR! conquered the Undertaker's undefeated streak at Wrestlemania!

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I'm having trouble accepting this. I just listened to Wretches and Kings and Wastelands back to back and came to the conclusion that they're eerily identical. Without those annoying "experimental" speeches and the cheesy "front to front" vocals by Mike on the bridge, Wastelands is essentially Wretches and Kings with prominent guitar and real drums. They both feature a pulsating riff from start to finish that serves as the main hook of the song, Mike raps with the exact same swagger he did in W&K, except maybe slightly faster, and Chester's delivery would be identical if you removed the digital layers from his voice. In other words it is kind of mind-blowing that you choose to call Wretches and Kings one of your favourite songs while ripping on Wastelands and the rest of The Hunting Party, when the former track would happily find a home on the track list for their upcoming album. Just my two cents though.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I actually have no idea why Linkin Park have remained my absolute favourite band for well over a decade and continue to interest me still. Or maybe I suck at putting these things into words

RYFO

RYFO Active Member

Very soon I will be performing 11 out of 15 songs of A Thousand Suns for my solo project in high school chorus, and that's what I love about Linkin Park. They're so diverse that even though I say that I'm performing "Linkin Park", the sound they hear is going to be something entirely different than what they're expecting. They hear "Linkin Park" and they probably think hard drums and guitars, but they'll be very surprised when they hear piano-driven ballads and acoustic guitars. It's all in the diversity that satisfies every genre of music.

NikoLpSoldier

NikoLpSoldier Daimonas

Theyll be surprised yeah.. in a bad way.
    And theyre mostly going to tell you that ATS is soft and shit, when they expect HT and Meteora LP

Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but this is a really shitty thing of you to say. We get that you don't like ATS. You've made it loud and clear. This is a solo project in high school chorus, I doubt you would even want anything hard for that.

In any case, RYFO, I'm really curious how you'll do this so I hope you find a way to get it recorded!

shwcobb

shwcobb 持ち上げて 解き放して

Their music simply 'clicks' with me, I guess there's a certain combination of personalities that, when put together, make music that I simply love, and feel like it's written especially for me (as silly as it sounds).
    I'm 100% certain that I'll be able to go back to HT and Meteora (yes, I love Meteora, and find it absurd most people on here do not, but okay) at any point in my life and just enjoy it as much as humanly possible. I find it interesting that I don't particularly like heavy music or nu-metal in general.

I have a strong feeling that this band has absolutely monumental potential, and they tapped into that on ATS. That being said, I extremely didn't like LT at first, later I was just 'meh' about it, though I listened to it all summer. That's the point where they went wrong for me. Their songs became too simplistic, as if ATS exhausted them and they needed a break. I made my peace with that. But now, having listened to GATS and UIG, I'm afraid they're even drifting further apart from what I'd like them to be, it doesn't feel like a natural progression after ATS for me. I'm fine with a heavy and aggressive album, but just make the songs good... We'll see.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

GOAT, dude?

mastae

mastae Some Honky

Mine's going to be cheesy and long...

1. They were the band I grew up with. (22 now... heard them first when I was about 11)

2. They were the first band my father introduced me to

This began a musical relationship with my dad that continues today. He introduced me to some of my favorite music. I saw LP live three times, each time with him. I met LP at a meet and greet with him. We always discuss them when they've got new things coming out. It would feel wrong to go to a Linkin Park show without my pops :)

3. They were the band that REALLY got me into music.

They sort of opened my tastes to a wide array at an early age. Mike Shinoda's reinterpretation of Enjoy the Silence led me to buy several Depeche Mode albums when I was 13, and Depeche Mode opened my tastes even further and so and so forth.

4. This may sound odd and to some people it sounds overdramatic, but A Thousand Suns got me through my parents divorce

I had just moved to a far away college for my first year... so it was my first year away from home and everything. Oddly enough, I came back home for an LP concert on my birthday. That's when they announced their divorce, and I listened to Burning in the Skies, Robot Boy, Waiting for the End, Iridescent, and The Messenger over and over again. I know those songs aren't about divorce or anything, but I relate the line "I'm holding onto what I haven't got" to my family a lot.

5. They continue to surprise me

Even though they come out with many songs and singles that I think are rather bland and cookie cutter (Burn It Down, Until It's Gone, etc.) they still do many things on their albums that I find exciting and surprising and beautiful. I'm always excited to see what they do next.

6. They're just a bunch of great guys!

I'm one of those people who will stop listening and supporting an artist when I feel their ego has gotten too big. This also works in reverse where I appreciate artists who have proven themselves to be kind, gentle people with big hearts. This is definitely true of Linkin Park.