The Hunting Party: Full Album Track By Track Impressions

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

Still I don't get your first post. Would you be more positive if he gave THP a bad review?

2. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

I can kindasorta see it in the last four songs maybe? But it really feels like there's experimentation sprinkled throughout, judging from this review. A more even-handed approach than Living Things, at the very least.

3. ToTheCitadel

ToTheCitadel Wisdom, Justice & Love

This album may be too metal for me.

I don't think I am metal enough.

I need to listen to the metal.

4. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

Hey, Derek! How many guitar solos are we looking at here? Sounds like Brad's stepping up for sure on this side, I'm hoping he can pull it off life better then he has been lately with a little practice.

5. Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

Where did he say that? Just read that it is the heaviest opener.

6. LPAA9

LPAA9 Don't eat the yellow snow

Nice review, can't wait for listening to it myself! Also Wastelands is on spotify btw.

7. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Glad to see the lyrics on Final Masquerade and A Line In The Sand sound far better than the 3 tracks we've heard so far. I was beginning to think this album would be weak as far as lyrics go. I'm most excited for Final Masquerade and A Line In The Sand, those descriptions makes them sound so promising. Only ten more days, even less if it leaks. I'm not expecting another MtM or ATS, but I'm sure I'll find something in it to like.

8. Squish Mitten

Squish Mitten I'm a five-star general; infantry controller.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. My hype level had gone down the last couple of months but this brings it back up there! So excited for ALITS and FM. :)

Thanks a lot, Derek!

9. Francois Dillinger

Francois Dillinger Well-Known Member

Not trying to bash anyone here, but this a review coming from a guy who loves Linkin Park, so it's expected to have an extra amount of praise in it. Whether that is right or not, we won't learn until we hear the album ourselves. On another note, I can't remember a pre-release review of any LP album since M2M (that I've been following) that was negative, even from big music sites/magazines. Reviews are just opinions, even though this one does a great job describing the sound rather than critisizing it. And that's the part I mostly take under consideration.

That being said, the thing with the same single note in intros/outros of diferrent songs of the album reminded me of what NIN do in Downward Spiral or Fragile, where little piano parts repeat throughout the whole album. That seems cool. I'm skeptical though about everything else, cause I've read reviews saying "LP are experimenting and going crazy on this and this track" and it turned out nothing special.
    PS. Final Masquerade sounds just like another LP ballad like Iridescent or Shadow of The Day...yawn.

10. Jovertop

Jovertop Well-Known Member

Im so hyped after reading this review. thx derek!
    but i dont want to get my expectations too high as it happened with until it's gone :'D

11. marcleo

marcleo Active Member

Hey Derek, Thanks for the review! Quick question... how do you rate Chester's voice on this album? especially after some people here started to say his voice is getting weaker after the auto tune thing. I've read what turtle said the other day that Chester's voice on KTTK will blow people's minds! what's your thoughts about that?

12. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

From the point of view of the three public tracks, I can say that it's less of a problem with his voice as much as the mixing of the tracks, he feels very much in the background and sounds rather hollow and... Not very present.
    His voice has also changed a lot, which you can notice going through all of the albums. His voice has a lot less intensity, a lot less idle rasp and he is forcing a lot less anger into the tracks these days. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though, and for soft songs, he has gotten nothing but better.

13. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Are there any tribal drums on the album (beside Wastelands) ?

14. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Oh! i can't wait for this Album man. sounds promising and mind blowing.
    Especially the experimentals ones (War, MTG, FM, ALITS). And also i'm curious for THE DRUMS,
    ROB IS A BEAST.

15. marcleo

marcleo Active Member

I've noticed that also, especially at on live shows. But that's why I was wondering what Derek thinks about it. Turtle already said he is amazing.

16. morfeo

morfeo Active Member

I didn't wanted to be overhyped, 'cause i don't want to get disappointment of this record. But... it's happening right now. I'm looking forward to hear this album, descriptions for KTTK, Summonig/War and tracks 8-12 winding me up goddamn high.

17. stringsibanez

stringsibanez ...

Another nod to Derek for what he does here. Seriously.

I trolled this site/board A LOT in its early days and around the Meteora album cycle.. trolled it more during The Rising Tied cycle and then finally joined the boards around Minutes to Midnight. I don't exactly post much since I seem to think my opinions more than I voice them.. but 12 years later this is still the only fansite I frequent (or really even visit at all). I like a lot of bands/music, but I generally just glance at official sites/wikis/facebook for news tidbids. When it comes to Linkin Park news: I check the LPA. I probably haven't been to LP's actual website in at least 3 years, but this site is fixture of my daily (or multi-daily) browsing routine. I think it says a great deal about the quality of service / content that this is a better source than the band's official channels. The whole team here deserves a share of commendation, but I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to say that the above/beyond Derek puts into the site really makes it what it is. I really appreciate/respect it; you do great work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Topic: This track-by-track has me feeling pretty positive about the record. I'm not too concerned with being over-hyped as I'm less prone to that.. I think I have a fairly-balanced hype level, positive overall expectation. Thanks for the insight.

Silliest thing I'll say today: If this album does turn out to have a bit of a conventional-vs-experimental split like Living Things did then I suppose the fans who prefer convention will have a solid Living Party to listen to, and the experimentation crowd will have Hunting Things.. roughly one album's worth each? :shrug:

18. Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I'm definitely looking forward to Mark The Graves, since TLTGYA and NRL are two of my favorite LP songs. Keys To The Kingdom, A Line In The Sand and Final Masquerade also sound very interesting. My excitement for this album has been fully restored. Thanks Derek!

19. NateXY

NateXY I was by your side, powerless.

Random question, how many of the songs flow together after another? (like Wastelands into UIG)

20. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Maybe UIG into Rebellion (Baby laugh)
    And also KTTK into AFN (Derek just said KTTK has a funny outro).