Stream Linkin Park's The Hunting Party on iTunes in Full

Discussion in 'News' started by Zane, Jun 9, 2014.

1. TheLPStanFan

TheLPStanFan Well-Known Member

Yeah Mark The Graves is weird...haha

2. Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

MTG sounds like Blackout's teenage brother

3. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

First impression is just...wow. I definitely think LP delivered us their heaviest album to date.

Technically, I would call this their best work. Creatively, almost. I'd say it's right there with ATS as their best album. I prefer it to ATS just because of the abundance of energy it also contains.

KTTK and War...holy fuck are those gnarly songs.

4. JSigcha10

JSigcha10 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I respect you and Jason's opinion. However, I have the opposite feeling. The album isn't perfect, but I could definitely kick back and drink a 6-pack to this album. LT I probably could but with the second half of the album it just wouldn't really feel right. And ATS is the one album from LP I really had to take time to get into. The first time I listened to it I had the exact same sentiment you have about THP. And even still ATS is not an album I could kick back to save for three or four songs.

5. LPFAN5000

LPFAN5000 Member

I posted this earlier but I recommend trying this because I think theres way more to this thought... There's definitely a similarity beyond coincidence.

earlier post:
    "I feel like this deserves its own thread but I must say that 'Mark the Graves' is DEFINITELY a 'Blackout' continuation.
    Same Key
    Same Tempo
    Same Melody (at parts)
    Same Chord progression

I even overlaid the heaviest part of blackout with the heavy part of mark the graves and it lines up perfectly. Its forms a whole new song! it's fantastic. I would love to share the link but unfortunately... rules...
    If you want to do it yourself play Mark the Graves from exactly 0:27 in, and blackout at exactly 2:18, and play them simultaneously. The start at cut-off at the same time perfectly and the chords sound amazing over the glitched screaming. I feel like this was too careful to be unintentional and there's probably more to this.
    Try it!"

6. KrylonShadow

KrylonShadow Well-Known Member

I have a feeling this will be my least favorite album. I don't dislike it, however it is lacking my favorite aspects of Linkin Park--melody and meaning.

I feel that in trying to reach this heavy and "primal" sound, they have detracted from the beautiful melodies that they've created since their inception. In fact, they've tried so hard to go against the grain that it actually sounds wrong sometimes--not even beautifully dissonant--just bad.

Lyrically, I find the album to be the most disappointing. Not only are the lyrics just not good sometimes, but the delivery of some lines is poor. There are also very few deeply thought-provoking concepts or ideas that they have not already explored in previous albums.

Also, I hear so many, many sounds that I've heard before from other artists, some from very specific artists and others that are more typical techniques you hear in different songs throughout time. I did not (personally) feel much musical discovery while listening to this album.

Hate to say this because I love these guys and I still consider them my favorite, but this feels like a mid-life crisis kind of album.

I'll give it some time, though I'm usually impeccably accurate with hearing my favorite LP songs of all time upon first listen--I can't say any of them made the list this time.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  7. outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

i really dont hear the similarity.

they probably just repeated themselves unintentionally, like many times before

i kind of feel the same as you, i think they forced themselves down this "heavy" path, with no real reason, just to show they can do it, almost all the songs sound soulless to me.

8. SKaRR*oKi

SKaRR*oKi Everything.Falls.Apart

Listened a few more times.
    To summarise
    Everything on the album is good apart from War which is just a bit rubbish

I don't really get or see the point in Mark The Graves and The Summoning. MTG feels lost on this album. Like it needed releasing separately or on a different record to have a proper place. And the Summoning is just good but doesn't really lead from or to anything

A Line In The Sand overtakes TLTGYA as the best album closer on a Linkin Park record. Keys To The Kingdom overtakes Papercut as the best album opener. Both exceptional

Wastelands feels like LP trying to go "back to there roots" and succeeding but unspectacularly. All For Nothing feels like LP saying "we know where we came from, we can still bring it, but not without a twist, so enjoy the glimpses to the past or just leave us to what we're doing"

Drawbar is for me the most unexpected song after reading reviews. Awesome. If you want a good instrumental this is incredible. If you want nothing from this song it's incredible. If youwant RATM guitar grooving power riffs and melodies with morello singing or Chester pretending to be RATM lead vocalist then you'll be hugely disappointed

9. Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Had to agree with this. The album is kinda lacking that 'Linkin Park sound' that we have come to love so much (and I'm not just talking about HT and Meteora). Almost without Mike and Chester's voice this would not sound like an LP album at all.

10. lilj4425

lilj4425 Well-Known Member

What is a LP album supposed to sound like? They could make a jazz or country music album if they wanted to.

11. JSigcha10

I agree with the MTG idea. I finally heard it again and it still just doesn't feel right to me, like it could go on another record and sound great because it fit in with the flow of the album. On THP its just out of place.

Drawbar is actually a little bit better now that I've heard it again and without the expectations of hearing Morello do something crazy.

12. xEsaul

xEsaul Well-Known Member

Consider what you're saying though. What is Linkin Park's sound to begin with?

Hybrid Theory and Meteora are the only albums that sound similar.

Minutes to Midnight saw them branch off from their 'traditional sound'.

A Thousand Suns went in a complete opposite direction. They went all out for it and it worked.

Living Things saw short fire cracker songs. - And it had Castle of Glass, I find one of their best crafted songs structurally and lyrically.

Now we have The Hunting Party, abrupt, in your face.

I can't find any album since Meteora that sounds like the next.

And I hope they keep pushing their boundaries while incorporating what they've learned as they progress. It's why I find them the best. They don't rely on one defining sound. The Hunting Party has a lot to offer. Some do have the atypical Linkin Park sound. But then you have Keys to the Kingdom...and shit.

13. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Not sounding like linkin park is what they and a lot of us wanted.

14. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

I'm falling in love with MTG

15. Jason

Jason "My pep talk turned into a pep rally." LPA VIP

I appreciate your response.

However, there is no way I can sit back, relax, and drink a beer or 6 to this album. That is generally the type of music I am into. I listen to music to relax and find calm in my day. This album does not allow me to do that. It agitates me and makes me feel on edge- which was probably their intention. It is not well received by a guy like me, but several in this forum, including yourself, are raving about the album, and I respect that.

I will pass on this album and hope for something more up my alley next go round.

16. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Wow, Keys to the Kingdom is NUTS. This has made waiting till next Tuesday both easier and harder.

17. JSigcha10

PREACH IT

18. JSigcha10

No doubt man, I understand completely what you mean. ATS is definitely that album that I relax and find that calm point during the day.

19. Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Sadly I'm unable to describe what it is.

Rather calling it a 'sound', it's more like a certain vibe, a certain tone in their songs. Take Hans Zimmer's music for example, they all have a certain tone that makes you realize it's a Hans Zimmer song right away, not matter it's an orchestral epic or a simple piano track.

But like I said, THP is still a welcoming product and I'm glad they went that way this time.

20. outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

i agree. i actually like the album, but i'm dissapointed.