Stream Linkin Park's The Hunting Party on iTunes in Full

Discussion in 'News' started by Zane, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

I actually agree with some of this, especially being interested in hearing what the scrapped "indie pop" stuff sounded like.

I'm never keen on bands boxing themselves in with albums as usually you'll end up with some of it sounding forced or getting boring, which parts of THP do imho. LP are at their best when they surprise you, and after listening to a few tracks I found that I wasn't that surprised by what came next, which is fine if you like more consistent albums, but personally with LP I don't.

Although as i've got older i'm into more mellow stuff, I often still listen to and really enjoy the likes of Metallica, Slipknot, SOAD, Rammstein, Enter Shikari and even some Limp Bizkit, so this album should really be right up my street. Somehow I have different expectations when it comes to LP though, as they always brought that special something to virtually all their releases, something which is missing on some of THP for me.

When I was 14 I thought Meteora was the best thing ever, and i'm pretty sure I would have absolutely loved THP when I was 16, which I suppose is what one of the bands stated aims was for this album, but now i'm not so sure as my musical taste has matured and i've mellowed somewhat.

I still enjoy this album, but it's not likely to end up as my favourite.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. Keyboard Warrior

Keyboard Warrior Well-Known Member

We already got your opinion many posts ago.

3. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Ok, I think that, after a shitload of listens of the album (and also one of LT in between), I've come to a conclusion. Nevermind how my feelings about THP change in the future, I can still say now that, if I had to show some people what LP is about, I'd show them 3 records in particular:

Hybrid Theory

Because, wether you like it or not, it is their breakthrough record, and it will probably remain forever their most influential one .

A Thousands Suns

Because it showcases the band at their most creative and experimental. Once again, wether you like it or not, it's impossible to deny this album is a major step in their discography.

The Hunting Party

Because, whatever happens in the future and how people will rank it, it just showcases the band at their most technical, organic, and raw form.

While I like the three other records, I feel like they aren't as special. Meteora and LT are fun records hiding in the shadows of the one coming before them. And MTM is, in my opinion, simply a good record with some great tracks (TLTGYA comes to mind). Just my 2 cents :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  4. Forfeit to Break

Kind of agree, although I don't see too many similarities between ATS and LT.

I would have loved THP to have taken some elements from MTM, especially some of the less agressive solos and definitely the mixing which for me was hugely superior. If only THP was mixed to the same standard as MTM it could have been even better.

5. jsantoslive

jsantoslive Well-Known Member

How can you say anything about the mixing when you have only heard a stream and a 192kbps stream? The mixing is perfectly fine on the 5 official releases and will be fine on the actual CD

6. Tweak

Tweak Well-Known Member

Did not care at all about this record after Until It's Gone dropped. But this might be the best Linkin Park we have seen since A Thousand Suns.

Also it is by far their most screamy album. Reminds me a little of Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist. and i am positive i heard a little bit of Radiohead in one of the interludes, well at least a sounds similar to Exit Music (For a Film)

7. mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

I disagree - the fact the band pushed themselves on this record proves that it is indeed not forced, actually.

One of the things I was quick to write-off about this album was that the tracks in which they featured artists like All for Nothing, GATS, & Rebellion, would steal the show. These tracks featured contributors who are inherently better musicians than LP, and that's pretty much a fact (IMO). I think featuring artists put the band in a position to really learn, and push themselves, not to be outdone from those who they consider true musicians, and to some respect, idolize. As a result, i think some of the albums best work are songs in which nobody is featured. Songs like Keys to the Kingdom, War & A Line in the Sand show a new refined LP ready to take names and kick some ass.

By comparison some other albums (LT) really don't show the band pushing themselves. I felt like it was a record Mike had an urge to make, so he just kind of...went out and did it?

8. DannyLP

DannyLP Well-Known Member

Apparently Helmet fans are digging AFN a lot :D

9. TheLPStanFan

TheLPStanFan Well-Known Member

Great. ;) :D

10. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Sweet! Got a link to the fans talking about it? :)

11. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Helmet fans where? I saw the post on Facebook about Page being featured and I saw mostly negative feedback.

12. Mitch

Mitch YTB

First time in AGES where I've seen mostly positive feedback on Ultimate Guitar about Linkin Park!

13. DannyLP

DannyLP Well-Known Member

There was a couple of post on the Helmet forum and I've been reading youtube comments

14. TheLPStanFan

TheLPStanFan Well-Known Member

I am really starting to love Mark The Graves!!

15. SigmaZero

SigmaZero Well-Known Member

What I'm hoping they do next, is keep the heaviness, and do something incredibly unique with it. Just off-the-wall experimental. Straight up massive mind fuck of a rock album. That seems like the next logical step. So...that pretty much means close to zero chance of that happening. But if they really wanted to make a change in rock music, they would do that. Am I right?

16. MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

Mike said that one band will not be enough to induce a change in the state of rock music, add that to the fact that LP always do something different no one can really expect each album, then it seems the next album won't be a hard rock one like this.

But I could be wrong :p

I wish they would try more things that we don't expect apart from having different sounds. For example it would be awesome to hear Chester showcase the vocal range he displayed in 'The Messenger' or even from the Grey Daze tracks.

Would be nice to hear Brad sing again but find something that really suits his voice.

Some scratches from Joe and interesting DJ sounds would be welcome.

Maybe even see if Mike can do something harsh/raspy with his vocals, I don't mean screaming but maybe he could sing in a deeper voice or something as I remember he did something like that in one of the LPTV episodes while playing on a keyboard.

And what about their influences? Maybe they can do something more hip-hop inspired, or learn from albums like Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd and make some modern electronic 'groovy' tracks.

Bottom-line is that there's so much they could do that would showcase their talents and skills. Looking at their whole discography most of it is guitar driven (first 3 albums + THP), they could do with some more experimentation.

17. tallmarkymark

tallmarkymark Linkin Park. Circa Survive. My Morning Jacket.

Dude, I was thinking the same thing about Dark Side Of The Moon. It would be awesome to see maybe a psychedelic side of Linkin Park.
    Like ATS on drugs. Experimental, but with like you said "electronic 'groovy' tracks."

Also, having another side of Mike's vocals on their next record would be something I will hope for.

18. MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

I found the video I referred to where Mike 'sang' more harshly (he was kinda joking in this one but think of the possibilities):
    [video=youtube;Ft323gmQWUE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft323gmQWUE[/video]

Man you only need to look at LP's underground material to see that there's a lot we miss out on the studio albums. I can almost say that LP went electronic 'psychedelic' when you consider this:

[video=youtube;PQcL-p3L28Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQcL-p3L28Y[/video]

That chorus from Chester sends a chill down your spine :eek:

They've done several interesting things like this that just don't make the final cut. Maybe it's music they can't get behind, maybe they don't think they can improve to the quality they want or maybe they 're playing it safe. But nonetheless it would be awesome to see something like this on future LP albums :D

19. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

one of the facebook comments: "You have to go full retard to like lincoln park" :D

95 percent of the comments are of that nature...

20. Forfeit to Break

It would be interesting to hear a track with Chester singing the softer parts, or even rapping if he can, and Mike doing the harder singing/screaming.

Other then that, I would really like to see the band go for a more hip hop influenced sound next time around, maybe even get SOB on a track or 2, I really enjoyed their contribution on The Rising Tied and would be interested to hear something heavier. Also more Joe.