Why do most people dislike Meteora?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by limonpower, Jun 13, 2014.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I really like Meteora, safe for the lyrics being cringeworthy at times. But aside from that, huge vibe, great melodies, great energy, and also, of course, the nostalgic value.

The way I see it, if the band hadn't made that record, I'm not sure they'd still be around today. Sure, it's their only record that didn't really push the envelope. But is that really a bad thing? The band was still at the beginning of their career, and I don't see any problems in a band releasing a lot of the same stuff at their beginning to establish themselves. As long as they don't do it for the rest of their career, it's all fine.

Think about it. No Meteora, no Numb, BTH, or Faint, and no collision course. Thus, no garanties of such a huge commercial success back in the days. Indeed, if they had released a drastically different record at the time, chances are people would have immediately lost interest in them. So, less sold out live shows, less popularity, less money. All of tha could have happen without Meteora. What would have been the impact of that on the band mind? No one can tell. Maybe internal conflicts would have popped up. Maybe Warner would have fired them. Maybe the band would have tried to recapture the success of HT on their third record. Hell, maybe, the band could have disbanded. Of course, those are only the negative possibilities, but what remains certain is that the story would have been different.

So, in my opinion, Meteora definitely was a necessary step.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

I like Meteora too. No one hates Meteora. People just criticize it. I think it's a good album. But, even you gotta admit Don't stay, Lying from you, Hit on the floor, Faint and from the inside all have same lyrical theme.

Gravity_LP

Gravity_LP Well-Known Member

I love meteora...just that over here there seems to be much more hate for meteora... people make jokes about meteora but when u joke about ATS, people come bashing u up over here. Not all but some.However, it doesn't matter if there's so much hate on an album as long as you like it..in the end it doesn't matter :)

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Because it's the only album where Linkin Park let the expectations of their label/their producer/their fans/the press/the music industry etc. influence the sound of the music they were making, and listening to that album in comparison with the rest of their discography 10 years later, it really shows.

I don't entirely DISLIKE Meteora, I just like it a lot less than most of their other work, and I can honestly say I only enjoy 4 or 5 songs on that album.

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

If you want to see people bashing a thousand suns you should go to Linkin park youtube channel's comments. It's filled with vitriol. One guy said a thousand suns fans were pretentious pricks and fans who like all their stuff were creeps with a thing for Mike. Personally, I disagree, a 'real' fan has a creepy thing for every band member ;) .But, yeah sometimes they go overboad with LT and Meteora bashing but otherwise this is a great place.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I'll only ever half understand it. Half the reason is that was angsty, cheesy, and pop structured. Which is probably the reason I got into it in the first place. But the other half of it is that it is Hybrid Theory's twin sister. I don't understand the hate towards this. They made 2 albums that sounded similar, big whoop. There are bands that do that their entire career. One album in the same vein of music isn't even a big deal and I wish people would lay off it for that reason.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Basically.

2 same-sounding album isn't a big deal at all in the grand scheme of things, especially when those are the first 2 albums of a discography. As I said, it's just the case of a band establishing themselves.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

My opinion has changed so much since that second thread :lol:

I used to think Meteora wasnt bad, but had some terrible lyrics. Now I can't listen to it in full anymore and I give the album a C rating on the tier scale.

However, 'Breaking the Habit' and 'Faint' are still good songs.

EDIT: this post :rofl: http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37226&p=1193546&viewfull=1#post1193546

Minus

I think the most telling sign of how the members of the LPA feel about Meteora and it's fanboys is that, looking at these past threads, the majority of the people supporting Meteora have been banned for violation of forum rules.

MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

I wish people would revisit Meteora and make remixes that improve the songs that were made, or even incorporate lyrics into the demos to capture the potential they hold. You see many remixes for HT songs like Crawling, One Step Closer (which I think is the worst song on HT), In The End and Pushing Me Away.

But despite so many people being like "LP died after Meteora...LP should go back to nu-metal like HT and Meteora" its like no cared to remix many Meteora songs or even mention some of them. In my opinion Session is the best instrumental LP made, and Hit The Floor is one of the most lyrically aggressive tracks but it lacks instrumental momentum and energy (I think it would mashup well with A06 ). Figure 09 also feels like another underrated track, and Nobody's Listening should be given some credit for incorporating that Japanese flute as it was creative and makes it differ a bit from the rest of the songs on the album.

It would be awesome if LPA had a Meteora remix contest to revitalise that record's songs and bring to the songs some fresh vibes and energy that the band wouldn't do at the time, considering how much better the demos sounded than the album collectively.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Meteora had some of the bands highest highs and lowest lows. While stuff like Lying From You, Faint, and Breaking the Habit are top notch, there's some stuff on that album that made me cringe a decade ago, even moreso now.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I think the problem with the lyrics is how badly straightforward they are. There are virtually no metaphores that basically made up Hybrid Theory. It's "poor, poor me" again, but in a worse kind of way.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

I get the hate, even retrospectively I'd say the lyrics are awful but for me Meteora is why I'm listening to Linkin Park today, hating on it if you're an LP fan is stupid as fuck, it's arguably one of the best classics, not only a classic, of the 2000s so far. It was such a step away in terms of music from the usual "raw, gritty, unmixed" feel guitar sound most bands have, the polished sound of Meteora is timeless. In a way, the structures and riffs are really simple but it doesn't seam sonically similar to albums from that time like Rise Against's Revolutions per Minute (also out in 2003) or Foo Fighters One by One (2002) or even Red Hot Chili Peppers' By The Way (2002), Meteora to me sounds like perfection, every little detail on the album is perfect, it's as cutting-edge as the nu-metal sound could ever get.

outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

I like meteora more than Hybrid Theory.

the "HT copy" factor really weight against it, and the lyrics, song structure and shit. but i like the atmosphere of the album, how its more crafted and the vocals also show a huge change, for the best, there's not only screams and raspy vocals like HT, there's also more challenging notes and the clean vocals are amazing (like the back vocals on don't stay)
    i can hear a clear musical evolution compared to HT. SIB, BTH are songs that could never fit in HT. SIB is actually one of my favorites of the album, and i would like it much more if it had better lyrics.
    Meteora doesnt have the "dark" element of HT, its more pop and catchy, and its not a bad thing. it is hated or criticized because HT came before it, but its a good album on its own. but it really piss me off everytime i listen to it, because it had a big potential to be a great and unique album, but instead they wanted to please the new metal crowd.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with the album at all. I also don't find the lyrics to be that bad, Simply lyrics don't = awful. It's like the people complaining about Victimized and UIG. I also don't find the lyrics to be any worse than Hybrid Theory, yet we have no one complaining about Hybrid Theory's lyrics.

Let's compare

Hybrid Theory

"CRAWLING IN MY SKIN, THESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEAL. FEAR IS HOW I FALL, CONFUSING WHAT IS REAL".

"You like to think you're never wrong (You live what you've learned). You have to act like you're someone (You live what you've learned). You want someone to hurt like you (You live what you've learned). You want to share what you have been through (You live what you've learned).

"(I’m with you) You, now I see keeping everything inside. (With you) You, now I see, even when I close my eyes. (With you) You, now I see keeping everything inside. (with you) You, now I see even when I close my eyes."

Meteora

"(And now)
    You've become a part of me, you'll always be right here. You've become a part of me, you'll always be my fear. I can't separate myself from what I've done. Giving up a part of me, I've let myself become you".

"I will never know myself until I do this on my own, and I will never feel anything else, until my wounds are healed. I will never be anything till I break away from me. I will break away, I'll find myself today".

"Don’t stay, forget our memories, forget our possibilities, what you were changing me into. Just give me myself back and don’t stay. Forget our memories, forget our possibilities. Take all your faithlessness with you. Just give me myself back and don’t stay".

Both are just about the same, so I'm not getting the complaints there. Unless that's the problem itself, the fact that both albums are nearly identical. However, with that said, I feel like both albums are pretty dated, and I barely ever listen to them anymore aside from the classics (If you consider songs like In The End, Breaking The Habit, and Numb to be classics :D).

MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

Well seeing as Mike Shinoda himself said that Somewhere I Belong had 20-30 rewrites of the lyrics to really try and put words in there that flow properly, I'd say that's pretty forced. This hinders the creative process since it's not very 'natural' in that sense.

I think if they were to try and replicate SIB using their new method they would make something better both lyrically and instrumentally. The song would have similar sounds but vary to the original melodies, leaving room for more meaningful and diverse lyrics.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

You'd say that's pretty forced because Shinoda said so. Again, I know that the band talked about it, but it isn't concretely obvious when you actually listen to the songs. The vocals and the instrumentation fit together to me.

What I'm saying is that, even with the understanding that there was some level of "forcing" involved, I can't actually perceive it myself

Minus

Didn't you know? People can have opinions.

Not everyone likes the Beatles. Not everyone thinks St. Anger is bad.

Most of us on the forum don't like Meteora. We make fun of how childish the lyrics are. How unoriginal those powerchord verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus songs are. That doesn't make us any less fans of LP.