Why do most people dislike Meteora?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by limonpower, Jun 13, 2014.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I would be among those people. In fact, I fucking love the snare.....

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

dac22c84aa08241d7c47e4f658dad36bf9de4b6b48e8acc344a6fc1ef76432bf.jpg

MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

I second that. In fact I think it gives the track a darker feel and a more vivid atmosphere.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

After the behemoths in Hybrid Theory and Reanimation, Meteora failed to impress. It was like a popcorn teaser for what could have been. The final result involved an ensemble of creatively-infused tracks deliberately packaged for commercial success; indefinitely both circumstantial and the safest route they could have taken with their sophomore release.

Not a hater of the record, it just irks me due to acknowledgement of how much further the band could have pushed with Meteora. The album presented a lot of surprises and continues to harbor a certain weight with the instrumentals in unison with Chester's vocals. The heart was clearly there and it is unfortunate that the potential was never completely met.

A far more cohesive record in comparison to Living Things.

mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

I won't ever hate on Meteora, but I can certainly understand it's flaws.

At the end of the day, it's much easier for us as LPs fan base to critique the album now as we've seen them diversify their sound and grow so much since Meteora. But you have to understand, at the time Meteora was released, the band could literally do NO wrong. They could have pretty much flown a steaming pile in the air and slapped it across don gilmore's face, and top 40 radio would have eaten that shit up all day. This was the band in their prime - it's just a shame looking back on it from our perspective now, thinking they could have done more with it.

LP were like kids in a candy store back then. Did Meteora shape up to be their best work? No. But it's what put them on the map and you really can't hate on them for making the album at the time they made it.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Some would argue that that's precisely what happened. :kappa:

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

It's a boring, uninspired, repetitive album. The only Meteora song I like is Breaking The Habit because of how unique it sounds and it's lyrics are not completely cringe-worthy like the rest of the album

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Hm... "boring" and "uninspired" are pretty much vague criticisms that people can use for whatever type of music they don't like.

I see those everywhere on the internet. "Why don't you like XXX? Boring and uninspired"

Especially "boring", it's really subjective. I don't think nu-metal fanboys find Meteora "boring".

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Something I've started to realize about Linkin Park is that, for a band with a bunch of huge radio singles, that don't actually write great melodies as often as we think. That's one of the things I dislike most about Meteora. It's an album full of pop singles that aren't even catchy.

A good way to test this: Play the main vocal melodies of the songs on a piano or some other instrument. Don't play anything else, just the main vocal or instrumental melodies. Don't Stay, Somewhere I Belong, Hit The Floor, Faint, Figure.09, and From The Inside all have such dull, monotonous, repetitive choruses. Numb and Easier To Run aren't much better, but at least the verses are nice. If you're going to make an album based on catchy choruses, it would probably be good to give them better melodies. For comparison, play the Final Masquerade chorus melody on piano. A lot more variation there.

Also, Qwerty19, you made the argument that Meteora being a similar sounding album to Hybrid Theory made sense because artists do that all the time to establish themselves. That would make sense, except we know for a fact that Linkin Park specifically did not want to establish themselves in that genre. They've spoken about it time and time again. The band does not like nu-metal. Minutes To Midnight was all about them de-establishing themselves. This is part of what drives me and other fans to dislike Meteora, we know that the band was pushed into it from multiple angles.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I don't know much about whether or not the songs are catchy - I'm far too removed from 2003 to be able to tell you anything there - but I agree with this point about the vocal hooks.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I don't like it because it feels all about style over substance and what substance there is kinda sucks

Qwerty19

Gotta disagree with the lack of catchiness.

Those melodies are those that made me a music fan to begin with. "Numb" was litteraly the first piece of music I ever enjoyed, and that was mainly due to its hook as I had zero interest in musichianship and technicality and song-writing at the time.

And Figure.09 / FTI still have some of my favorite LP choruses. So yea, I just can't agree with that. It's really a matter of tastes.

And yep, the guys never were fans of nu-metal (aside from bands like Deftones), but I don't think they considered themselves as nu-metal either. At least when they were making Meteora.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

It is a matter of taste, but I would bet so much money that if we made simple piano recordings of the Meteora vocal melodies, and then made piano recordings of the Final Masquerade melody, the Waiting For The End melody, and the In The End melody, and played them for random people who had never heard Linkin Park before, an overwhelming majority would prefer the second group.

Because many of the Meteora choruses are objectively monotonous. There is hardly inflection in the melodies. This kind of goes back to what Mike once said about the band's songwriting abilities: they can make something very mediocre sound a lot better with their polish and bells and whistles.

Qwerty19

Yep, they are monotomous and repetitive.

However, looking back, I think that's why they had this big impact on me. Those hooks were "to-the-point", easy to remember, and easy to sing along / jam to. I don't know. From a musical theory perspective, they're poor chorus, but from a pop listener perspective, I'd say they're golden chorus.

The only way I can defend this opinion is...Watch a Numb performance and the public reaction :p If anything, the catchiness from Meteora came from its repetitiveness, if that makes sense.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    Francois Dillinger

Francois Dillinger Well-Known Member

How are Faint, SIB, Figure.09, Breaking The Habit, From The Inside, Numb not catchy? I think of them as the definition of catchy. Simple, big, repetitive. Stick to your head immediately. A melody doesnt have to be elaborate to be good or catchy. Sometimes a vocal line of 2-3 notes can hit the mark. It's better to have that than having a complex melody just because it's complex.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

It looks like Meteora will never be able to find peace in the fanbase, regardless that this album is from over a decade ago. It's also hard to believe that the songs on Meteora were once widely regarded as "pop" and "mainstream", especially when you compare them to the poppiest radio-friendly songs of today. The music industry really has dramatically changed in terms of sound. Today's pop music sounds nothing like Meteora yet shares its formula and structure, interestingly enough.

To be honest, I think Meteora is a fine album with a great atmosphere and powerful vocals. I do not have a problem with the powerchords and guitar riffs, even if they aren't all that intricate. Most of the songs to this day still manage to give me that rush of excitement and energy. Lastly, I do not have a huge problem with the lyrics, either. They may be simple and straight-forward yet they still help the songs convey intense emotions and feelings that greatly impact my listening experiences.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Nah, Meteora is still incredibly "poppy" for a rock album. I think a lot of people on this board hear "pop" and immediately think Katy Perry, One Direction, "Call Me Maybe" type shit. Even in 2003, when the band was at their peak as the biggest rock group in the US/planet, Meteora (and Hybrid Theory before it) were very much considered poppy. Extremely polished with sing-along hooks and all in a compact, easily digestible 3 and a half minute format? That there's some of the elements of pop.

Another thing is that "pop" is also often used on this board as a derogatory description, which i really wish people would get out of using. Sometimes pop elements have a place in what are in otherwise rock songs (isn't Green Day still big on this board? Along with LP they're one of the best at adapting pop elements to rock songs).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for as much as the people on this board likes to consider themselves knowledgeable about music and all the its many genres is to stop trying to put things into neat little categories constantly.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

What you said makes a lot of sense in terms of the structure of pop music. I will admit that I have never been 100% sure about the details and characteristics of a given genre of music or what would automatically put a song into a specific genre. I find it quite confusing, as music really does tend to blur lines that separate genres. I can live with the fact that Meteora may very well be a "poppy" album at its core, though that is by no means a bad thing ;)

I also see where you're coming from when you talk about the derogatory meaning given to anything deemed "pop" or "mainstream". I tend to not like music that's given such a description, as I associate music like this with genres like EDM and maybe Dubstep. I realize now that virtually all genres that have ever existed can be poppy in their common structures that define them. So, it can be concluded that music that isn't necessarily popular today can still be considered poppy if is built/structured around the criteria that you listed.

SeLDfC

SeLDfC Well-Known Member

Because LPA fans are like hipsters in real life

D2D

D2D Member

The Reason it's my least favorite album ('cept MTM) is because, it is the same album as Hybrid Theory only worse.
    If you take a look at the albums side by side they're almost identically built:
    Papercut/Don't Stay - Opening song, that opens with almost the same drumbeat, then the guitar joins in, then the rest of the band.
    One Step Closer/Somewhere I Belong
    With You/Lying from you
    Points of Authority/Hit the Floor
    Crawling/Easier to Run - Ballad to slow things down in the middle of the album, though I've got to give Easier to Run credit for the Verse-Chorus-Verse-Bridge formular
    Runaway/Faint - and then a fast song to get us hyped again
    By Myself/Figure.09 - and then the really heavy song
    In the End/Breaking the Habit - The best song on the entire album
    A Place for My Head/From the Inside
    Forgotten/Nobody's Listening - A song largely driven by Mike's rap with a sing-rap-sing-rap chorus
    Cure for the Itch/Session - The Instrumental
    Pushing Me Away/Numb - Another "Ballad", both these songs are practically identical (see also What I've Done and New Divide)

Minutes to Midnight is also built very similarly though there are bigger differences and more varied songs there.