Who stepped up their game the most on The Hunting Party?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Atticus, Jun 15, 2014.

?

Who left the others in the dust?

1. Brad Delson

14 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Rob Bourdon

75 vote(s)
    79.8%
  3. Chester Bennington

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Mike Shinoda

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

With Linkin Park reaching what most people tend to consider a new technical level in their game instrumentally, who do you think stepped up their game the most and really came into their own as a musician?

Brad Delson
    Hyped up as a "modern guitar god" by an overly modest review, he's told the press on numerous occasions that he wanted to go back to guitaar-playing that would inspire his 16-year old self. Linkin Park has never been known for guitar solos, but on The Hunting Party Brad really stepped into the spotlight for blistering solos that encompass nearly every track on the album. He's no Hendrix, but he's far from the lazy power-chord obsessive we all remember.

Rob Bourdon
    While he has always been capable of great work in Linkin Park's discography, Rob definitely took a step back from the limelight in A Thousand Suns and Living Things in favour of a more electronic backbeat. Much like Brad was re-inspired, Rob has been quoted to play drums for several hours on end to practice for The Hunting Party and his efforts have not gone unnoticed. Each track has a blasting background of drums thanks to Rob's participation, and we can even see a more technically sound Rob live on stage. Clearly he is a fundamental element to The Hunting Party.

Chester Bennington
    Although the argument of whether his voice sounds "weaker" or not may continue for the rest of his career, there's no denying that Chester's vocals have never sounded more raw and aggressive on an album. By finally stripping the digital studio layers off his voice, we can see a more vulnerable side to his vocals, and the results are fantastic. From gritty performances on "War" and "Guilty All The Same" to crisper cleaner deliveries on "Final Masquerade" and "Until It's Gone", Chester continues to perform at an elite level, and his screaming has arguable never sounded more powerful, thanks to "Keys To The Kingdom".

Mike Shinoda
    Mike returns to The Hunting Party with three prior albums worth of lead-vocal experience and over a decade and a half worth of rapping under his belt. His flow and delivery on "All for Nothing" is something to behold, and his presence on "Wastelands" will not be soon forgotten. However, his chance at clean vocals are his highlight on the album, as his verses on "Rebellion" and "A Line In The Sand" are undoubtably stand out performances, sending a message through a level of emotion that Chester could probably never reach.

EDIT: due to the fact that we cannot hear much of Dave or Joe in the mix, and therefore cannot properly judge their contributions on the album, they have been taken out of contention.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

A tie between Rob and Brad for me.

Dekar likes this.
    Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Lol you're speaking very matter of factly on stuff that's awfully subjective. I mean, you have no idea what Dave and Joe's contributions were. Phoenix might have tore the bass up (we know he's capable of it) and he just got buried in the mix.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Brad. Lol, who the fuck would say anything else?

wolfboy

wolfboy Active Member

Rob's always continuosly improved on each new album release, and it shows through the recordings and lives. Brad's next, though I feel he's hit and miss when it comes to performing live.

Mike and chester are always on point as usual.

Joe I think just wants to do stuff in the background to add to the atmosphere of the tracks. He does a good job of it for the most part.

Phoenix hasn't done anything worth talking about his entire LP career. I doubt we'll see anything as he seems comfortable playing the BG role, which is a shame since the bass can really help diversify their songs. There's only about a handful of bass driven songs: Forgotten, A Place for my Head...and that's all I can recall at the top of my head.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Rob, it's not even a contest.

outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

joe

TheLPStanFan

TheLPStanFan Well-Known Member

Rob...the unsung hero. I'm proud of Brad too though.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Of course its awfully subjective, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That's the point of this thread, to have a discussion/debate of who people think stepped up their musicianship. Not for someone to spit out indisputable facts that automatically shut down all argument.

Example of the subjectivity in play:
    Two vastly different opinions that both happen to sound pretty "matter of factly".

The fact that Dave and Joe's contributions to the album cannot be heard due to the mixing, makes it pretty damn hard to argue for either. That is why I decided to hold them off of the poll. If anyone can argue for their sake, then I would gladly accept it.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Rob. Most of Brad's solos aren't THAT great. Lots of sloppy chromatic pseudo-shredding that screams "I don't actually know my scales so I'll just play ALL THE NOTES!!!!"

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Rob has been performing at an incredibly high level for the last 4 albums. This thread says "improvment". Compare GATS to BID, guitar wise, and tell me the answer isn't Brad.

Edit: says stepped up but its the same thing. :lol:

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

This. Rob has always been good, but he got after it on this album. I guess Brad did good for Brad, his solo's didn't blow me away. Not to say they're not good. They are, it just wasn't face melting.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Nah.

Reflectionist

Reflectionist Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Rob has definitely improved after taking the throne back from Robo Bourdon on two records...

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Why i cant choose Joe :(

I would say Rob. He kills the whole album.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Rob Bourdon. I was kind of underwhelmed with Brad on this album for the reason Astat gave. His solos are pretty similar to the Faint outro, which is a deceptively easy thing to do. Also his performances were hyped as great in the reviews so maybe I had unrealistic expectations.

Also, is it just me, or are some of Brad's solos in this album mixed surprisingly quiet? Sometimes I feel like I have to really focus to hear them clearly.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Rob.

I kind of enjoy the fact Brad solos are fucked up at times though. I mean, sometimes they definitely sound more like "I DONT KNOW WHAT IM PLAYING" than like great traditionnal guitar solos , but somehow, I find it cool. It gives them a distinct identity.... even if it isn't on purpose :lol:

Infinity

Infinity *

Rob owns the record and his live performance is amazing. Brad did good but it hurts watching the moderndayguitargod play live at times

SeLDfC

SeLDfC Well-Known Member

Rob the most I think!! Then Chester and Brad I mean Brad did some good work if you compare it with the guitar work of the last 2 records but it could have been better I think Chester and Rob have stepped up their game a bit more Chester is doing some awesome screams like in the early days and Rob is better than ever on the drums

Francois Dillinger

Francois Dillinger Well-Known Member

Rob. Not only he goes the fastest he's ever gone, his drums are also really creative and groovy. What he is doing in Mark The Graves is absolutely nuts.
    Brad had some good riffs, but his solos were hideous. No particular scales, absolutely no groove on his leads, no phrasing. Just fast tremolo picking with no purpose. He really should have worked more since he wanted to include a solo on every single song of the album.