Chester's vocals then and now

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Broman, May 11, 2014.

1. Narc85

Narc85 Well-Known Member

Jared Leto already does this for many songs in the Thirty Seconds To Mars live set. Completely understandable given the difficulty of some of those songs (hello 'From Yesterday', 'This Is War', etc.).

I've always been very impressed that Linkin Park haven't done that yet (at least to the best of my knowledge).

Edited to say: With exception of 'The Messenger' ;)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  2. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

No doubt that some of that footage will appear in LPTV eps.

3. outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

but jared goes way higher and more usually than chester in studio, so avoiding those notes live is ok, and he is also older than chester.
    the notes chester hits live and struggle with very often, are the same jared hits (and also struggle/avoid), even with the lowered keys.

EDIT: what i said doesnt mean jared has more range than chester, he just goes higher in studio more often, while chester doesnt leave his confort zone, both of them got a nearly identical range, the main difference is that chesters speaking voice is a bit higher, and jared has a better low register, in case anyone wants to know.

4. outcastboy

what you guys think about chester's voice on the carnovores tour? better or worse than on summer?

sorry for the double post

5. Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

Judging by today's live webcast, it sounds to me like he's already worn out, he can't scream properly so he keeps adding random screams here and there in the songs to make up for that.

6. Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair, Jared still doesn't sing jack shit at his concerts. He sings 1 1/2 verses and 1/2 a chorus. Chester (for the most part) sings the full songs which are more vocally demanding when he is constantly screaming at every concert.

7. outcastboy

thats true, he does that to protect his voice, its a bit lazy, but he is a great singer anyway.

listen to The Kill or Search and Destroy. its nearly impossible to sing that live night after night.

the fact that chester usually dont skip parts of the songs is admirable, but its clearly bad for his voice. last night's concert i was shocked with his vocals, he sounds shaky and weak even on easy vocals, like the verses of Crawling, WID, Rebellion...

8. Aden

Aden Well-Known Member

It's clear that Chester's screaming voice is going downhill. But I mean it's rather inevitable, and he's figured out a nice alternitive live, just doing that yelp that leads into a scream. He will never sound as insanely badass as he does in his early days again, but that's okay.

As for his voice, based of those clips it sounds like it's holding up well. As others have said, his range has grown, and his voice hasn't necisarily begun to noticeable decline yet.

9. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;7iO0rVG3vUo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iO0rVG3vUo&index=3&list=PL6PPW0qL1Styaew_SHrRozE_sVTiZpvUQ[/video]
    He hasn't done the last scream in years(as far as I remember) so I would say his screaming has gotten better actually

His singing seems to be a hit or miss but I still think he can scream like a boss --> See Rebellion.

Well it just depends on the singer. Rody Walker sings almost impossible high notes + he growls and screams every night and his voice don't seem to take damage. He even smokes and probably drinks a lot too.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  10. Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think he's done that last scream since 2011, but I would say that his screaming has been improving a bit. It began to decline in 2008 and onwards, then slowly picked up in 2012.
    His singing has been hit or miss since late 2012. Previous to that, he was pretty good. His voice got really squeaky in 2012 as well, after the European festivals.

I

11. outcastboy

of course, chris cornell or axl rose could sing that easily too, because of their singing technique.

but jared singing style is pretty much the same as chester's, and thats about as high as a man can get in the way they sing (like the high notes on the backvocals of In My Remains)

12. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Read the title and immediately knew who started the thread without even looking :lol:

13. BIBBLE

BIBBLE Well-Known Member

Chester is having a good year for his voice in concerts!! He still has a ton of good years left in him.

14. rocker94

rocker94 Well-Known Member

Voice/singing of chester on the future

do you think that the voice/singing of chester could be better on the future? with a little of rest, i guess...
    not like the times of hybrid theory, meteora or mtm, but like ATS :unsure:

15. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

If they stop making songs with screaming, i think his singing could evolve to the better.

16. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

I think Chester sounds like a strangled donkey. :kappa:

17. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

I was going to make a separate thread, but for right now at least, fuck it.

Chester's singing voice has been going th SHIT since 2007, but it's gotten especially worse since 2012. Chester has absolutely NO contrast/range to his singing voice anymore. Compare the chorus in the OSC video above to Telekom Street Gigs 2012: [video=youtube;KALepPd5vbQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KALepPd5vbQ[/video]

Anybody remember watching the band at Club Nokia in 2012? Everyone in the shoutbox thought Chester sounded bad on New Divide. Let's take a look: [video=youtube;gD6zKgkaPtM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD6zKgkaPtM[/video]

And here's New Divide from Rock am Ring 2014: [video=youtube;odoW8K9khpU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odoW8K9khpU[/video]

There's a ton more examples; WID and ITE from Rock in Rio 2012 sound much better, Crawling didn't sound amazing in 2012 but at least Chester didn't sound downright cringeworthy like he does now on that song.

See what I mean? That signature high-pitched part of Chester's voice doesn't even seem to exist anymore. A grown man's voice should NOT change this drastically before 70-ish, no matter how much it's strained. It's completely unnatural.

I think Chester needs to get this checked out. There has to be SOMETHING he can do... especially with millions of dollars at his disposal. I refuse to believe that there's nothing that can be done. So, I think as fans we should take it upon ourselves to try to convince Chester to get professional help because we love and care about our favorite rockstar and want to see him kill it on the stage for decades to come. And as far as I know, that's what he wants too.

18. mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

i seen a youtube video where he sings in mike shinodas home studio and they have to repeat all the time the singing.. its hard work and would make you crazy to repeat this all day.

19. rocker94

rocker94 Well-Known Member

I don't understand how others singes of rock and metal like matt shadows (avenged sevenfold) haven't the same problem with the voice. Avenged Sevenfold have the same number of records than linkin park, but the evolution of the voice of each singer has been very different. For me, Matt continuous on a perfect evolution of his singing, with a very powerfull voice. But in the case of Chester, it's strange that he is losing his power voice when he has more ballads than the other band. Sorry for me english ;)

20. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Well, LP has also songs like Given Up, where he has to "scream" a lot. He do this almost every fucking week more than once (well, maybe not that much). ANd this is just one song. I think it just normal that Chesters voice change with the time.