Linkin Park vs Lana Del Rey

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Jayhov, May 16, 2014.

1. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

^I agree with everything you said. I've said many times that it doesn't matter yet people (not just on this site) attacked him. People just like to see one of their favorite bands do well.

2. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The Hunting Party was sold out at the Best Buy I visited yesterday. I managed to pick up the last copy.

Also, Lana Del Ray's legs. *hump.

3. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Cool. Maybe it's doing better than we thought

4. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

"With one day under their belts, we think that Lana Del Rey will come out with the gold on next week's album chart for Ultraviolence, but Sam Smith is closing the gap with In the Lonely Hour (see above). We're certain, however, that Linkin Park will snag the bronze.

Lana Del Rey (Interscope) 170-190k
    Sam Smith (Capitol) 140-160k
    Linkin Park (Warner Bros.) 100-110k

Willie Nelson (Legacy) 35-40k
    Jennifer Lopez (Capitol) 30-35k
    Deadmau5 (Mau5trap/Astralwerks) 25-30k
    Tiesto (Casablanca/Republic) 12-15k

We feel quite comforted and acknowledged this week, as we generally relate strongly to ultraviolence, loneliness and hunting. (6/18p)
    "

It's not about who sells more to be honest. It's about how much LP, the band I love, is selling. If this was in 2010, Lana and Sam wouldn't be even close to ATS's debut of 240k. It's just a little sad to see the band debut with 100k. At least, to me, that's how it is.

5. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I don't personally like Lana Del Rey, but I'm happy that Sam Smith's debuting high. That guy has a great voice (even during live shows), and at least LP loses to someone with consistent talent.

6. ChazyChaz92

ChazyChaz92 Well-Known Member

I really think they underestimate LP in physical sales. Or it is just me?

7. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I would love this to be the case, but regrettably 100-250k has been the first week average for the band for the last few releases. The last album to sell over 500k the first week was MTM and that was 7 years ago, Since then ATS sold 241k, LT 223k, Recharged only 33k (although expected due to it being a remix album) so expecting 100-120k is actually dead on given the previous trends they've shown in first week sales. I personally hope they're wrong and it sells 200-220k like LT did, but I wouldn't count on it.

8. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

I'm hoping the album goes on to sell at least a million in the US. Worldwide, the album will probably sell 3 million+
    It's funny. US was LP's strongest market so many years ago and now its every place but US.

9. ChazyChaz92

LP is damn strong in europe now. But someone here said (dont know who), LP did prove so many times, that they are one of the biggest acts in music business. They dont have to care about album sales or if it get the #1 or not. It would be so nice to see they get the #1 again, but it doesnt really matter. I think THP is such a good album, thats what really matters...

10. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

The band members themselves, actually. :p

11. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I thought LP would get #2 and beat Sam Smith but I guess I underestimated Sam's rising popularity. I thought he would become famous after this album but it looks like he's become a star before this album was released.

Personally, I am ok with LP losing to Sam because Sam is very, very talented and I found 'In the Lonely Hour' to be a better album than 'The Hunting Party.'

12. ChazyChaz92

@minuteforce: this is so inspiring! great interview, and i love the view the band has. amazing!

13. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

While I still believe 100k+ album sales is healthy now days, it's still sad to see them hit that low. Usually I don't care about album sales that much, but it does worry me a bit. Whether it's a sign of overall declining album sales in general, or a hint that this is becoming the end of Linkin Park commercially in the US. At least Europe is a stronghold for them. I suppose it doesn't matter anyways, I don't expect them to make another album for many years, unless they stay true to making new albums faster that I believe Chester talked about. I'd rather them go into their side-projects, I for one want a new "Fort Minor" album.

14. Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

I remember Living Things sold over 200k, so if it's really 100k, that'd be a disappointment.

15. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

It going to be over 100k

16. ChazyChaz92

17. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

18. TheLPStanFan

TheLPStanFan Well-Known Member

Another reason the sales are so low IMO, is because there's been no promotion.

19. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

On the contrary. This album has had every bit as much promotion as LT if not more. There's been a lot of partnerships to promote the songs (MTV, iTunes, Spotify, SiriusXM to name a few) and the band's latest single has been played extensively on NBA and MLB sports programmes along with highlight reels. I've also seen ads on websites, and there's banners up near WB offices. This album has had PLENTY of promotion, it's just people don't buy records anymore and haven't for years.

20. mastae

mastae Some Honky

That, and they didn't have a huge debut single like they've had on every album since Meteora. None of the songs even charted on Billboard. Honestly, I think that has a lot to do with it.