The Hunting Party: Listening Party Facts

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Broman, Jun 19, 2014.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

The Hunting Party: Listening Party Tweets By M. Shinoda

KEYS TO THE KINGDOM
    - Of all the songs, Keys to The Kingdom was my favorite to open the album because of the constant sonic surprises
    - The chorus vocal was a stream-of-consciousness vocal (and lyric) by Chester. He didn't write it down, just sang whatever came to mind.
    - That's me saying "Try and do the other thing"--I was talking to Rob when we were recording drums
    - The "I'm not allowed to say certain things" was a clip we put here because we originally had another clip...
    - But we weren't allowed to use it because of legal reasons!

ALL FOR NOTHING
    - "All For Nothing" features Page Hamilton from the band Helmet. Helmet was one of the bands whose aggressive / melodic sound was...
    - ...one of my inspirations while writing #TheHuntingParty
    - If you listen, you can hear my vocal mixed with Page's in the chorus
    - The music behind the interlude before "Guilty All The Same" is an original piece. That's me singing "ohhh"

GUILTY ALL THE SAME
    - Guilty All The Same was the first song on #TheHuntingParty Rob recorded drums for. He worked up to this performance for about a month.
    - Rakim is one of my favorite rappers of all time. His verse here is a perfect example of why. #TheHuntingParty
    - To me, Rakim's verse is the perfect mix of technicality, content, and emotional expression. #TheHuntingParty'
    - HOW REAL COULD REAL BE
    - GATS was one of the early demos that helped define the direction of the album. #TheHuntingParty

THE SUMMONING
    -"The Summoning" was a sonic experiment that we added late in the process, to give the listener's ear a palette cleanser before "WAR"

WAR
    - "WAR" was a demo that Chester brought in. Very little changed between the demo version and the final. #TheHuntingParty
    - If you listen carefully, Chester actually says "1, 2...1-2-THANK YOU"
    - There was an alternate version where he said 1-2-1-2-F*CKYOU
    - Rob recorded the drums to "war" in one take

WASTELANDS
    - My verses in "Wastelands" were written before the music ever existed. Just words on my computer. #TheHuntingParty
    - Actually...just the 1st verse. The 2nd verse, on the other hand, got re-written during the final month of recording. #TheHuntingParty
    - The last chorus in "Wastelands" completely changes chord structure (it's not the same as the rest of the song).
    - I think that was the first time we ever did that on a song.

UNTIL IT'S GONE
    - The structure of "Until It's Gone" is based on building to a DROP; got the idea when working on "A Light That Never Comes" w/
    - Although it can be about regret (the usual meaning of "don't know what you've got until it's gone"), UIG has an alternate meaning
    - As a parent, your child won't grow into their potential until they leave the nest. You don't know what you've got until it's (your're) gone
    - There were more trap elements in the album at one point, but we thought they ended up being silly, except this UIG interlude

REBELLION
    - REBELLLIIOOOON!
    - We've run into those guys many times over the years. Daron joined me in the studio and brought the guitar riffs that became "Rebellion"
    - One thing I love in "Rebellion" is the cheekiness/sarcasm in the lyrics. We usually have a hard time pulling this off, but it worked here.

MARK THE GRAVES
    - "Mark The Graves" was one of the earliest demos on the album. At one point, I wanted it to be the 1st song on the album. #TheHuntingParty
    - We recorded all the drums on the album to tape instead of computer. I think you can really hear it on this song.
    - We also set up a really unique kit for this song. In particular: we balanced a couple tambourines upright on Rob's snare, with duct tape.

DRAWBAR
    - Tom @tmorello came through to hang/write. The conversation and experience was the best part. We included this jam as a reminder of the day
    - Tom's writing style is alien to us, ha. Very "jam" oriented, while ours is more "writing into the computer."

FINAL MASQUERADE
    - Final Masquerade was one of the last songs finished for the album. The original vocal was me singing all the way thru. CB sounds better!
    - Rob saved this song, too. The original beat I wrote was more complicated but had no soul. Rob improvised this drum groove & it felt perfect.

A LINE IN THE SAND
    - The opening vocal part on A LINE IN THE SAND was written years ago, while we were making A THOUSAND SUNS #TheHuntingParty
    - It didn't work back then. But when I was working on this song, I sang the vocal and it (finally) fit.#TheHuntingParty
    - There are lots of different guitar tones and amp setups on this song, giving each part its own flavor, and holding attention over 6 minutes
    - LINE IN THE SAND is one of my favorite #TheHuntingParty songs. It feels like it does everything that LP does, in one song.
    - Brad's solo and Rob's drums at the end of LINE IN THE SAND are one of the best moments on #TheHuntingParty
    - The fill that ends the song was an improvisation. I didn't know Rob could play that fast, ha

ADDITIONAL
    -@ask_brittany The artwork was a collaboration between @JamesJeanArt, us, and Ghost @gtmvfx #TheHuntingParty
    - The album began with a series of demos that were more electro/indie/alt. Then I realized I didn't want that.
    - Trivia: our first show EVER was opening for @systemofadown
    - Chester & I usually do all the lyrics on the albums, but Brad helped too on #TheHuntingParty
    - MOSH PIT​

Arachnids

Arachnids The way out is through...

Hoping for Mike's version of Final Masquerade on LPUXIV. *Fingers Crossed*

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Hmm, I was hoping he could confirm whether the chorus in A Line In The Sand reusing the chord progression from the chorus in GATS was intentional.

TheLPStanFan

TheLPStanFan Well-Known Member

UGH. I forgot all about the listening party. :( I missed it. Darn it.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Well the best parts of ALITS are from ATS... I wonder why :kappa:

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

"If you listen carefully, Chester actually says "1, 2...1-2-THANK YOU"

:lol:

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

This wasn't a fact from THP but a reply to a question. It cracked me up:

Why aren't you guys making the new song for the new transformers movie?

Mike:Because Imagine Dragons is so hip right now

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

The best part of ALITS is the final explosion with the solo + drums + screams.

Nevermind if everyone here is crazy on Mike's parts. At least Mike has the same opinion as mine :p

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Did Mike confirmed the baby laugh interlude on UIG was a reference to HT EP album cover?

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

same here :lol:

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

So A Line in the Sand is an ATS demo and reworked as a THP track?

Mario007

Mario007 Well-Known Member

A few things:

Mike if you admire Rakim so much and try to get your lyrics on part with him. It's really jarring listening to Rakim's hard-hitting lyrics and then Mike's "tough man" lyrics on the album. Especially since we know that Mike can rap about stuff with much more substance.

KTTK chorus- it's pretty damn clear those were improvised lyrics. And I really hope they'll never do this again. That chorus has some awful fucking lyrics.

Glad War didnn't have 1-2...1-2-FUCK YOU. That would have been cringeworthy.

Hats off to Rob. THE MAN behind THP.

tripleh3lix

tripleh3lix Well-Known Member

Because whether people like it or not, electronics are dominating. Whether people consider them real "music" or not, they sound fucking amazing and songs sound a bit bland without them these days. Doesn't need to be dubstep, but something as simple as Lying From You electronic beats would've benefited this record more, or some simple choirs/strings in the backgrounds.

Qwerty19

Hmm... it's really a matter of opinions. There are people who genuinenly dislike electronic sounds. And I personnaly don't think a song without electronic elements is bland. Sometimes, I'm just in the mood for organic music.

Mario007

Electronic music can be very organic just as natural jamming rock music can be very bland.

Qwerty19

Yep. Same goes for the opposite ;)

And when I said organic, I just meant something not-electronic btw. Not sure how to call that in English. Sometimes I personnaly don't want to hear electronic sounds, as much as I love electronic music.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Not really.

Mario007

True that. I just think that electronics are always nice on the background to add more stuff to the music. Because, from hearing THP LP can't really do the basic "jamming guitar rock"...it's just not in their DNA (well maybe ALITS and MTG kinda disprove that theory but in those two songs again the singing is a bit off). I mean look at a song like Wastelands where it gets infinitely better halfway through Mike's first verse when the electronics kick in.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

#jelaous

:kappa:

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

the only good shit from that song is from the ATS-era, go figure.