Linkin Park vs Lana Del Rey

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Jayhov, May 16, 2014.

1. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

Maybe, if they had released Rebellion or Final Masquerade sooner, they might have. Both the songs were released very late. Rebellion was right after wastelands and by the time final masquerade had been released, the whole album was available for streaming. Maybe, if they make a music videos for these songs, they might chart I think.

2. mastae

mastae Some Honky

Naw. I don't think so. The Hunting Party just really isn't THAT marketable of an album in todays climate. The band knew this going in. Wastelands and Rebellion I think were just promo singles too, which usually don't do too good anyways.

And having the album leak/available for streaming doesn't hurt charts either, really. If enough people like it, it'll sell.

3. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

The songs didn't chart because its not what people listen to these days. The band knew that when they went in.

The problem now is that for the next album, if LP wants to go back to being commercially successful again, they can't have any experiments in it.

4. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Since CD sales have been rapidly diminishing over the years, is it safe to say that piracy of music may be ruining or interfering with the music industry? I guess I'm just old-school when it comes to music. If I really like something, I will eventually try to buy a physical copy of it to show my support. There have been exceptions for me, like getting a CD from a friend and ripping it. I rarely do that, though. Would there be a way to get more people to start buying music again rather than pirate files?

5. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

It's been this way for a long time now. Artists don't make money from cds anymore (with few exceptions like JT doing almost a milli in a week). A lot of their money comes from concerts.

6. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

If they want to be commercially successful again they'd pull an Eminem and release a sequel album like "Hybrid Theory 3" (Although technically HT2). If they did that everyone would lose their mind. Most would probably call them desperate though.

7. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I've never understood how people were under the impression it wasn't.

8. Ryan_Newsome

Ryan_Newsome Champions!!!

I doubt they'd do commercially well at all if they did that. That's not what's popular these days.

9. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

I disagree. I can't imagine the hype that would come if they announced a sequel to Hybrid Theory, one of the best selling albums of the 2000s. How often do we hear "I miss old LP, I miss the Hybrid Theory/Meteora days"? If there's a band that could make that genre popular again it would be Linkin Park, just the mere mention of a sequel to Hybrid Theory would bring hype. The fact that there's as many people wishing for the band to go back to that style as there is fans of their current music just goes to show how much demand there truly is for it.

There are so many people that only listened to their first two albums, Hybrid Theory has a huge reputation therefore making a sequel easily marketable. They can do what Eminem did and just merely title the album as a sequel, but have little relation or style to the original. It's the name itself that would sell. A sequel to Hybrid Theory would not only bring in their old fans, but also give exposure to a new generation as well. To deny the album wouldn't perform well at all is just silly.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  10. Gravity_LP

Gravity_LP Well-Known Member

true...but what if the people think that HT2 is disappointing and worst than HT?people are gonna compare HT and HT 2 no matter what and what if it doesn't live up to the expectation of HT2? you must know that mmlp2 is a really good album(IMO) but even then..many people are still comparing it with MMLP and saying it is not as good as the first one even though eminem say that it is not a sequel. So hype for HT2? yes. disppointing? maybe...and upon hearing leaks, i doubt some ppl are gonna buy if disappointed.

11. polleo

Mike talks about it in this interview at about 13:00:
    [video=youtube_share;bVToOLxTlNk]http://youtu.be/bVToOLxTlNk?t=12m59s[/video]
    I don't think the band cares so much about commercial success or selling copies.

12. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

He is lying :kappa:

No , i think he is really right about this. People can support the band on different ways, not just buying an album. The people who go to their concerts are the ones, who really support the band and i believe not everyone bought all (studio) albums. But the support is there.

13. polleo

Yeah, I saved enough money to buy all of their stuff on their itunes but turns out the itunes in my country only supports credit cards and no one I know has one or will lend me one. So, I have to buy the actual cds off amazon but they are way costlier and so I haven't bought them all. My pre-ordered copy of thp comes out freaking next month. LP is an international act and people from places where it is probably very hard to actually buy the album like them. You can't really blame all the fans.

14. Blake

I feel like it would bomb.

15. Blackee Dammet

I don't know why everyone keeps saying how "unmarketable" this album is; it's Linkin Park doing rock songs again. It's incredibly marketable. Even knowing the albums aren't doing multi-platinum sales anymore I think this board often forgets just how huge Linkin Park actually still is in 2014. They're still one of the biggest rock groups in the world now.

I think a lot of you get confused with the fact that because LP aren't the pop sensation they used to be in 04, it must mean they're in a slump or in constant risk of not being relevant anymore. I don't know if it's because a lot of this board isn't USA based, but heavier rock music still commands a lot of attention and sales.

16. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I think a lot of us are getting ahead of ourselves too, considering the fact that the industry is just different now. What's popular is very repetitive pop music with EDC elements. When you think about what is actually getting onto the radio and staying on the radio, it's not this hard rock music or even experimental rock music that Linkin Park has been making. I'm talking about the Kesha's, the Rihanna's and so on. These artists sell and make quite a bit of money because their music is what's being played on the radio. More and more stations are being converted to these "hits of today" stations - all of the alternative rock / rock stations in my town have since been converted. This is the trend.

So for Linkin Park to sell well, it's not about making the music that will appeal solely to its fans. The nu-metal style of Hybrid Theory and Meteora was very attractive at the time. Rock was what was really popular, and Linkin Park was really the band that broke through the mainstream. But think of the last time Linkin Park won a Grammy? Numb/Encore. That was nearly a decade ago. Linkin Park would have to change the style completely and break through with a single that could mesh with everything on the radio - e.g. something people could dance to at parties or something. That's honestly what seems to be garnering the most success.

Let me give you an example. Perhaps one of the other most prominent rock bands of the era is Coldplay. Has anyone heard "Sky Full of Stars?" It is the single most blatant attempt to make way onto the radio. The band already had a lot of success getting there, but now they have a single that fits in with all of the other famous songs. It has the EDC elements and everything. It's frustrating because that's not the Coldplay I know and love, but that's what bands have to do nowadays to make their way onto the radio.

A "Hybrid Theory Part 2" album would be stupid, and while people would buy it, it would destroy the ethos of the band. The band is not about selling records, nor have they ever been. Yes, they sometimes make these songs that seem clearly designated to be singles, but they don't make entire albums predicated on selling a lot of records. They want to make different music and challenge themselves as musicians from album to album, which is something I've come to really respect from a band that used to be incredibly mainstream. Linkin Park is one of those bands that at this stage in their career isn't looking to make the money, because they have supportive fans. They have fans who pay money through the LPU, and they have fans who pay through going to concerts, and they have fans who pay through buying albums and merchandise. This is just fine for a band like Linkin Park.

They don't need to do anything different. Linkin Park's model for success is theirs to decide, not ours. They seem happy, which should be enough for us.

17. Blackee Dammet

Look, you guys know who Slipknot is right? Do you understand how fucking ridiculously many copies Slipknot albums sell? Avenged Sevenfold ringing a bell? You can be a "real rock band" and still ridiculously successful. I think you guys tend to exaggerate a lot. Poppy, dancy music has been a formula for success since... always. And even during some of rock musics best years, pop stars and dancy hits always ruled. Always.

And c'mon, the title of this thread is LP vs Lana Del Rey, a woman who, like her not, is not desperately cranking of EDM pop music hoping to move units.

18. Blake

As far as the first statement I know exactly what you mean. The radio stiation here has been falling off since 2009 (their best year in my opinion). A lot of the songs they play aren't rock or alternative anymore. However, they play a lot of unknown songs as well, so they arent really playing "the hits of today" but they arent playing much rock or alternative. They also said something big and groundbreaking was coming tomorrow at 8 am. Last time this was said about a station in Washington, the station went away. Even though it may not be the best rock station, I don't want to see it die out. We need some Rock stations to still live. Don't get me wrong, I love pop music, but most of the radio stations that play this are no good.

As for the random side comment, on your example, I love "A Sky Full of Stars." I am not the biggest Coldplay fan but it's one of my favorite Coldplay songs actually :lol:

Their last album went Gold in Canada. No other certifications. "Nightmare" didn't sell well either.

You do have a point with Slipknot, although album sales have got a lot worse since 2008 when they last released a cd

19. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Slipknot also hasn't released a studio album since before 2010, so I'm not sure how it applies. They were very popular back in their day, for sure - which makes sense why they'd sell so many copies. Linkin Park was selling copies too back in 2007. And yes, poppy, dancy music definitely has always sold. But this sort of EDC music was not in the mainstream, so there was space for bands like Linkin Park, Good Charlotte and so on in the day to release rock music that would be popular. That space isn't there anymore. What's on the radio now is no longer really rock music at all. It's purely pop, EDC, or rap. Not that I care, that's just how it is.

I'm not concerned with Lana Del Ray. I like her. I'm just addressing the topic of album sales. Forgive me for going off-topic, I just wanted to address that point.

20. Blackee Dammet

Because in 2008 Slipknot were mainstream darlings right? Because before this last Justin Timberlake album dance music wasn't what was drawing dollars? 2008 isn't some mythical, ancient time, it was a little over 5 years ago. The music scene wasn't that much different back then. You remember when Lady Gaga first came out? 2008.

Dude holy shit, think back to 2003. Don't you remember just how poppy LP and Good Charlotte actually were? They were big because of pop, not in spite of it. Good Charlotte were essentially a moodier Maroon 5 for a long time. I'm bringing up Slipknot because unlike GC and LP, they didn't have a mainstream wave to ride, and they still did very well. As did Avenged Sevenfold. I'm not saying the popular shift away from rock music towards rap and dance music hasn't had an effect, but I do think a lot of people on this thread greatly exaggerate the effect it's having, and to the extent "stupid mindless pop music" actually sells.