Robot Boy Live

Discussion in 'On Stage' started by Cure4TheItch, Mar 8, 2014.

Cure4TheItch

Cure4TheItch I fuck up everything I see, fighting in futility.

Do you think we'll ever get it?

Will it be the full song (as in all of the sounds, not the length) with the layers of synth and group vocals, or will it be a stripped down version as a part of a live interlude?

It's one of my favorite all-time LP songs, and I think it's a shame that the band hasn't found a way to make it work live yet. Hopefully soon they'll get it down, because I don't want it to get lost amongst the new songs, seeing that the song is now going to be 4 years old with two newer albums out since.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

You have a better chance of them playing I'LL BE GONE or POWERLESS and those are no shows.

Faker

Faker Well-Known Member

Mike said once that the band should be made of 6 mike so they can play robot boy live

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Never gonna happen

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

That was in reference to Skin to Bone, and I'm pretty sure it was Chester who said that.

In response to the original question, no. Non-single song from an album that's more than one album back in their discography (excluding Hybrid Theory) = It won't even be considered.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

I need IBG live :(

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

See, this is why LPU tours are a good idea. :sleep: And, then, they could release recordings as B-sides on singles or LPU-exclusive videos and everybody wins

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

This

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Well, we got a live interlude of it like you mentioned. We're one step closer I guess.

Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

:shifty:

outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

i think they never played it because they dont want to, maybe a bit of laziness. the interlude they are playing now proves that it's not impossible or even that hard to play it, it really isnt.

but i dont think we will ever hear it. its a shame because its one of my favorites LP songs

One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

well they said numerous times that they never performed it because of the vocals, so no wonder the instrumental tease sounds awesome musically it is indeed quite simple

outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

what makes the vocals complicated? its just chester during most of the song, and at the end theres two chester's ("screaming" and singing the chorus) and mike doing some ooh ah.

its very similar to TLTGYA. the hard part is at the end, in a live performance chester would do the "screaming" like on TLTGYA, and mike and dave would sing the rest. or just let the outro without chorus while chester "screams".

Josh

Josh Met LP 8-13-14 LPA VIP

Can someone link the interlude on here

One More Rob

well thorught out the entire song there are multiple vocals there...and to me it doesnt seem that complictaed either...I was merely talling what is stated in many interviews witht the band.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Listen again, because there are FAR more vocal parts than that. There are 3-part harmonies throughout the song, plus Chester's ad-lib part at the end. During the second verse, the 3-part "ooh's" from the intro are also in the backgroud behind the 3-part harmonies singing the lyrics. On top of that, each of those harmony parts are double-tracked by Mike and Chester together, meaning that there are as many as 12 vocal parts going at one time during that song. You'd need a MINIMUM of four vocalists to pull it off convincingly live.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Any song is simple when only one element is played live while everything else is playback.

One More Rob

has LP ever used playback for vocals? other than forced to do so on TV? For samples I think they often did, but I have no recollection of doing so for vocals, except perhaps the "Iridescent" group vocal. Although I am not even sure about that one.

lordblood

lordblood Radiance of a Thousand Suns

I can't recall any playback vocals, except for the breakdown of Blackout (which is impossible to sing live anyway). I don't see why they can't have some of the really background harmonization be played from playback with Mike, Chester, and Dave taking the more prominent vocal parts.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Mike, Chester, Dave, Brad, done!

It's not as if what Brad would play on guitar is intensive, and if Mike's busy with samples + singing, then throw Chester on the second guitar part.