Linkin Park vs Lana Del Rey

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Jayhov, May 16, 2014.

1. BIBBLE

BIBBLE Well-Known Member

numbers are in
    1. Lana Del Rey: 181,622
    2. Sam Smith: 169,275
    3. Linkin Park: 113,810

2. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

And not a single one of them sold over 200k

The state of music sales today is terrible. For every 1 Jt and Jay-Z there are 1000000000 Lana's and LP's

3. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

It's easy to sell a million albums to Samsung.

4. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

For what it's worth they actually disqualified those (but gave him the award anyway for some reasons), the album itself when it came out sold like 500,000+. Which sounds ridiculously low for a Jay-Z album.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jay-zs-5-million-samsung-deal-2013-7

5. Filip

Wasn't the album platinum after like... less than a week?

6. ChazyChaz92

ChazyChaz92 Well-Known Member

People...113,810 copies are fucking impressive after 14 years of the debut album. Not many bands reach such numbers after so many years!

7. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

It is, but when you consider its nearly 100k less than their last album only TWO years ago...it really puts into perspective just how bad the music industry has become.

8. Filip

It's not nearly 100k less, it's over 100k less.

9. Derek

You're right. I didn't have the complete LT numbers in front of me to add so I estimated, my bad.

Which makes the point a few people have said even more significant. This is less than HALF what the band did on LIVING THINGS, and I have to wonder what happened to all those fans between now and that time. How can the band sell more than 100,000 less than what they did only recently? Sure this album is less mainstream, but it also catered to a lot of people who wanted them to be 'more rock' which means this should've been bought more. Did LT really turn that many fans off? This should've been an easy 220-240k. Everyone is pirating music now and it's becoming really obvious.

10. BIBBLE

BIBBLE Well-Known Member

Pirating has to do with it but this album never had a big radio hit unlike Living Things with Burn It Down and I think alot of people lost interest in Linkin Park after Living Things so they didn't even give The Hunting Party a chance.

11. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

WTF??? Are you kidding me Lana Del Rey???? LINKIN PARK!! WAKE UP!!! This is embarassing.. :facepalm:

There's one thing they can do to fix this shit up.. GO BACK TO HYBRID THEORY!!

12. BIBBLE

BIBBLE Well-Known Member

114k is still a lot of sales, Linkin Park is still one of the biggest bands in the world. We all knew Lana Del Rey was gonna sell more, that's the music the general public listen to these days.

13. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Dumbest shit I have read all day. Congrats.

14. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

It's official - The Hunting Party starts at #3 with 110K copies sold. Lana Del Rey is #1 and Sam Smith is #2 (congrats Sam, well-deserved). http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...l-rey-lands-first-no-1-album-on-billboard-200

15. Derek

Yeah, but you can't sit here and tell me that 100,000 of them just decided not to listen to LP anymore, and thus shun The Hunting Party. That seems a little drastic. Maybe a few didn't, but I can promise you that what we have here is people downloading the leak and being too cheap to buy the album. A 130,000 drop isn't just based off of a lack of a hit single and people losing interest...there's definitely piracy involved for a drop that big.

16. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Minus Samsung, the album still sold over 1,000,000 copies. It went 2x Platnium with Samsung.

Very ignorant post.

I can definitely agree with this from first hand experience!

I don't want to get hate, but I didn't buy THP where as I did buy ATS (Deluxe) and LT. I'm sure there others out there like me. I don't have money to buy every album out there, so I only buy the best albums, and so far to me there has been better music released this year than THP.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  17. BIBBLE

BIBBLE Well-Known Member

you are probably right because i know a bunch of people who hated the LT and ATS who like THP. And all album sales are lower anyway.

18. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Actually I don't think that's too far from reality, to be honest. Previews and reviews can hype up the "return to heavy!" all they want, but what casual fans heard was Guilty All The Same, which is a heavy song, and then Until It's Gone, almost unanimously considered by fans and casual listeners alike to be a dud. You can hype up an album all you like, when people hear a boring song on the radio, as what's essentially a lead single, they'll going to assuming -correctly or not-, that the album will be similar.

I mean the rest of what you said was right, but I think if something like Final Masquerade was what they threw their weight behind, it would have made a slight difference.

19. Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Living Things was a big hit in my area. It appealed to the EDM crowd and people who only loved New Divide and their other singles. People I know who hated this band liked that album and that album only. LT was the first album I DIDN'T buy from LP (and I pirate all the leaks). They only outsold Maroon 5 by a thousand copies to hit number one. And I think the marketing on this album is poor. Rock radio ate up GATS but Warner is still hoping for super mainstream sales and the few soft songs. A lot of non-LP fans had an expectation of what LT would be. None of them know this is the "heavy" record when I ask. No strong promotion (when compared to Lana).

That being said I love her album too so note power to her after being bashed so hard by critics on her first album. Now they love her persona and music. She took a big risk with such a sleepy album.

20. Derek

It's just disappointing. I wont judge people for not buying the album, but it just really shows how little people actually spend money on albums nowadays. To see LP go from 625,000 records sold for MTM to 110,000 only 7 years later...it's just jarring. I know it's par for the course with how the industry is nowadays, but it's still hard to watch.