Linkin Park vs Lana Del Rey

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Jayhov, May 16, 2014.

1. linkinloch

linkinloch Well-Known Member

The overall hype for LT was WAAAAY bigger. Look put on youtube, for example! I remember to see all the old songs getting a lot of views, the hype was insane. Burn It Down lyrics had 15 million views before getting the music video. Minutes To Midnight, Meteora, HT, all these album were back on the top 200, and there were a lot of singles selling, I remember that on iTunes store on germany 8 out of the top 10 rock Songs were LP, and OLD songs. (This one week before LT come out)
    Releasing a top #1 album with a typical LP powerfull sound, with the influences of EDM, good hype, a big hit like BID... A lot of people were into LP again after 2 years or even more (LT would polarize less the fans compared to the 2010's ATS)

One year later, RECHARGED. The band already forgot LT to go on a full EDM remix album. Again, some hype, some people getting tired of LP, of this electronic change, etc etc.

Basically what happened was that they released 3 albums in 3 years. Plus, bad promotion, no real "lead single". People got tyred of having LP all time. If THP were released on the end of 2015 it would have more hype, and it would sell more.

2. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I disagree, it would have sold even less in 2015. With each new year, less and less albums are ending bought. A lot of people didn't even know about Recharged, so I don't think it had any affect on THP sales. It was a remix album nothing more. Heck, not everyone on this site has even heard recharged, including myself.

3. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Its really sad. i hoped that they could be sometimes a band with 100.000.000 selled CDs or more. I think this is just a dream. People buy less and less CDs. This has to be because of the pirating. :( Its really sad to watch. I agree with you Derek.

4. linkinloch

I get your point, but a lot of people didn't even know about Recharged and still A Light Tat Never Comes was a bigger radio hit than anything on THP so far. Also some people gave up on LP forever after Recharged.
    I think that releasing an album every year is not a good thing. A big band like LP need some time to build the hype. Linkin Park is not Call Of Duty man, they will not keep selling millions if they put out records all the time, people will eventually buy less from them. "I bought LT and Recharged 6 months ago, I will just download this one" - for example

5. ChazyChaz92

ChazyChaz92 Well-Known Member

linkinloch is fucking right!

6. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Guys, Guilty All The Same came out 3 months before the album did. That's plenty of space for hype. There was tons of time for that song to sink in with the general public, but it kind of didn't. A Light That Never Comes was a huge hit because it was an EDM song with Steve Aoki that sounded like most of the other stuff out there.

Linkin Park, relatively speaking, just isn't very popular anymore (in the U.S. especially). Maybe Linkin Park realizes that and that's part of the reason why they are so comfortable with niche-ifying themselves by going back to hard rock. Or maybe that had nothing to do with it. But I really don't think The Hunting Party was ever going to debut #1 while competing with Lana Del Rey.

7. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Why do people keep saying this? Are you referring to outside the US, because it sure as hell wasn't even a minor hit here.

8. IllogicalSystem

IllogicalSystem Electronic

According to the charts, it did the best in the US and the UK. Even on the rock charts here in the state. Plus it also plays on the radio here at work at least once a day.

So if anything, it's a minor hit everywhere else, and technically a BIG hit here.

9. Blackee Dammet

Which charts? Are you talking about landing on the Billboard 100? Because yeah, that's an achievement, but as far as the Rock charts where the band used to reign, it peaked 7 on Alternative, 11 on US Rock (where even notable "dud" Lost in the Echo hit #10), and as far as I can find, didn't sell enough singles to achieve certification.

Burn It Down was a big hit, A Light That Never Comes was a minor footnote. People talk about it like it was this huge, New Divide-esque megahit that statistically they might have done well with if they kept on that direction, but that wasn't anywhere near the case.

10. linkinloch

A Light That Never Comes was not a huge hit, far from that. But it did better then LITE, CoG, GATS and UIG on most of the charts. GATS took #1 on the Rock, but did bad on Alternative and didn't hit the Hot 100 while ALTNC debuted #65 and did the top 15 on must Rock/Alternative/Electronic Charts worldwide.

The last big hit LP had was Burn It Down. Castle of Glass somehow got 85 million youtube views but Burn It Down sold 8 fucking million.

11. 3DU4RDO

3DU4RDO Burning in the Skies

I might disagree with some opinions here. It's true, the music doesn't sell as much as before, but I think with THP it's happening something different. LT sold 220.000 copies in its first week. It was two years ago, not twenty. 21 by Adele sold 28 millions copies WW. Most recently? Coldplay sold 380.000 copies of "Ghost Stories" on its first week... just a month ago.

For me, it's all about the quality of the music and the promo. The albums won't sell as much as before (with exceptions like Adele), but if the music is good and with a proper promo, it will work.

THP lacks of both. It's a good album, but nothing more than that. The promo has been absolutely horrible and the "bad boys" attitude of some members (Mike) of the band doesn't help that much.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  12. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Did someone think about the "Linkin Nark" story? Maybe its weird , but i could imagine some people believed that story and didnt want to support the band anymore.

13. Faker

Faker Well-Known Member

it has nothing to do with the story but it's so disspointing from 220k to 110k I swear it was an easy first place isn that the album that all lp fans wanted

14. tripleh3lix

tripleh3lix Well-Known Member

Two things.. Piracy and Spotify. People pay for subscriptions to music, and how long has spotify been out? About 2 years, which puts it about right and would go down by almost half. People don't pay for music anymore, in fact.. I don't know anyone who buys CD's after Spotify came out.

15. Blackee Dammet

Counterpoint; the band is over ten years removed from the peak of their popularity, and they're still selling nearly as many albums as the newer, more popular acts of today.

Many it would do some good for some of you to get out of crisis mode and appreciate the fact thatmost bands tend to do much worse over a decade past their prime, not hang in there with new and exciting talent.

16. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Spotify has been out since 2008.

17. M&M

M&M Banned

That's just pure garbage. You don't have 9.99 to buy the album? Have fun listening to the album, you pirate.

18. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

So what? Are we really going to judge eachother by who downloads music and who buys it?

Plus, if there's an Ed Sheeran album he likes better for the same money, let him buy it.

19. jdanek630

jdanek630 Well-Known Member

Staind is one of my favorite bands. They were huge, mostly in North America and Europe. They are still considered a "big" band by 2014 standards in that they do a good job of filling venues and stadiums for shows. Their most recent (2011) record, self-titled "Staind", was some of the heaviest and visceral music they have generated since their Tormented and Dysfunction days ('96, '99) when they were pure metal. The album's first week sales? 47,000 copies sold in the U.S. A five digit number.... totally disappointing. The fact that LP is still selling 100K+ on their first week, as a "rock" band, is very impressive by 2014 standards - especially for an album that is not nearly as appealing to the masses as, say, HT, Meteora, MTM, and LT.

That's just my opinion of course, backed up by some facts...

20. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

When you put it that way, the 100k doesn't seem as bad. Especially considering they deliberately tried to be less mainstream on this album (despite negating that with 3 very marketable tracks on the CD :lol:). #3 is less disappointing when the facts are put into perspective. Coldplay only sold big because they haven't really been a 'rock' band for a while. They're a highly sucessful crossover pop act imo.