Biggest satisfaction & disappointment with THP

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by limonpower, Jun 23, 2014.

3DU4RDO

3DU4RDO Burning in the Skies

Mike saying that now everything is soft pop crap and Chester saying that pop artists lie in their song when the rock artists don't is something I don't want to hear on them. Try something. Check the interviews and trailers for LIVING THINGS. How they were explaining the songs, the sounds on them, the topic of each song, how excited they were. Then, check the THP interviews. Just talking about others, what's outside, herbivores and blah blah.

Maybe I'm too sensitive about it, but clearly the "bad boyz" attitude didn't help the album that much, since it's their worst debut on US ever.

lepetitpote

lepetitpote my presence is a present kiss my ass

satisfaction: this whole album feels like linkin park at their most comfortable territory: it essentially sounds like the band has rediscovered their roots and original genre again which built them in the first place, but we minus the angst and are offered a more mature vibe to dwell into. also keen on the fact that they ditched the electronic sound and produced a nice hard rock album that ranks among my favourite linkin park records. mark the graves is a unique song, and to be frank i'm quite confused about the criticisms i see about it. it's just a song that consistently grew on me, and had the ability to take me back on its wonderful journey through re-listening to it over and over

dissatisfaction: tom morello's work. while it still is some splendid guitar work and I appreciate the diverse sound that they chose to mix his signature guitar sound with, it still needed the oomph that morello usually displays, being from a heavy band like rage against the machine. and especially since there's a minimal chance in hell that rage will produce more music any time soon, the closest thing we get to more morello is drawbar

chayand1

chayand1 Well-Known Member

Satisfaction: A Line in the sand ATS-ish intro/outro (its an old ATS demo, ok)

Disappointment: A Line in the sand chorus and heavy parts, they're really cool, but maybe in a particular different song.

NJ93

NJ93 Member

Satisfaction: I kind of liked Final Masquerade.

Disappointments: I personally think this is their worst album. It felt like the antithesis of A Thousand Suns, which felt liberating while THP felt restricting. I'm confused as to why after all the talk of wanting to be free of genres they put themselves almost squarely into one with this album. Also, Until It's Gone is hands down the worst song they've ever put out.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

You didnt listened to Mark The Graves :kappa:

but tbh.

I think every album can be put into a genre, i dont see the problem with it :shrug: . But i think i see the point with the "worst" album also if i wouldnt agree with it.

NJ93

NJ93 Member

Yeah it was a hard decision for me between MTG and UIG. I actually agree with genres being always applicable. The thing with ATS was that each song was unique and listening to it from start to finish was an experience. Most of THP feels like having the same song on repeat imho. I also feel like this desire for relentless rock that the band suddenly had is actually fulfilled far better with Given Up than with all of THP. It might sound crazy but I mean it. If for any reason I find myself itching for some head bangin' rock out of LP, which I feel is NOT where they shine most, I'd prefer to listen to Given Up on repeat rather than THP.

Oh, I forgot to mention I actually liked Keys to the Kingdom too. The relentless rock sound actually worked well as an opener. I think they should have left the rock alone after that song though and just focused on more creativity with the rest of the album.

lepetitpote

implying bad song

Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

Mark the Graves was by in large the best song on the album for me. Oh well. The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.

Michele

Well , its really weird to me. I am not saying its really bad, but i would prefer In Between than MTG. It doesnt grow on me. So many things happen in this song, its just confusing.

SeLDfC

SeLDfC Well-Known Member

The Hunting Party is 100 times better than Living Things and A Thousand Suns for me the only diappointment is that there was no scratching and it could have been a bit heavier but over all I think it's my second favorite album after Hybrid Theory

lepetitpote

that means it has a diverse structure, it's essentially unique. not saying that you should now appreciate it, but obviously linkin park were trying to stray far away from their usual territories, and in the process have created something new and unusually striking for fans to indulge in.

and that heavy breakdown at the end mixed in with chester's screams gives me the ultimate chills like damnnn

Michele

its ok , i listened to it again , and after the probably 1000 time its not that bad anymore. the beginning is weird but the end give me chills too . Not bad anymore.

lepetitpote

that's good. it's a nice little tune that fits in well amongst the album

Aden

Aden Well-Known Member

Satisfaction:
    Way better of an album then I thought it would be. Mark the Graves and All for Nothing are both gems I don't think I will be tired of for a while. There's also many other tracks too, like Keys to the Kingdom, War, and Rebellion. Overall it's pretty heavy and I like that. Also when I first heard Guilty All the Same I hated it -- however it has grown on me and I like it way better, especially with the way it's placed on the album (though that just proves it was a bad first single choice).

Dissappointment:
    Wastelands is just a mediocre track. It sounds like it should be a b-side, not an album track, much less a (promo) single. On some of the harder tracks, there is somewhat of a blandness, and they lose their repeat value once you get over how fucking heavy they are. Also I agree with other people about how Tom Morello should have been shredding, not slowly playing acoustic guitar. Wasted guest appearance in my opinion. Also A Line in the Sand and Guilty All the Same somewhat rip-off each other.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

How you people think Mark the Graves is bad is crazy to me. It's the second best right under Rebellion.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

fixed

Mario007

Mario007 Well-Known Member

In the light! In the dark!
    Nothing left! Nothing right!

Rinse and repeat. I liked the first half of the song but it seemed like they gave up half way through. Whatever about UIG repeating lyrics MTG is also a huge offender.

thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

Satisfaction
    1. Mikes singing
    2. Rob's drumwork
    3. Daron Malakian on Rebellion. That intro is the highlight of the album.
    4. Final Masquerade and Mark The Graves. ( you guys are insane for not digging this track)

Dissatisfaction
    1. Chester. His vocals and just general presence on the album. Over-touring? You could tell he sort of just showed up and Mike told him what to do, then he was off playing with STP.
    2. Lack of identity/originality. Linkin Park's just proved that they would be a great cover band with this album.

To be honest their grear records are :

1. Hybrid Theory
    2. Reanimation
    3. A Thousand Suns
    4. Meteora

Mediocre

5. Minutes to Midnight

Poor
    6. Living Things
    7. The Hunting Party

A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

satisfactions: MTG and ALITS (the songs AND their mixing). Gives a really buried, organic feel.
    disappointments: UIG. Typical radio LP song with bad lyrics. KTK. Chester's vocals get off key and it makes me cringe (FIGHTING IN FUTILITaaAAAAaAaaAaAY).

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Lol okay buddy. Just because they didn't meet some criteria where they need 100 words for each song doesn't make it bad. Sometimes less is more to get the message across.