LP7 / How will THP affect the band's future?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by lime treacle, Jun 24, 2014.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I really wish you guys would stop the whole "conventional = bad" shit already. You know who else does 'Verse-chorus-verse'? Foo Fighters. Circa Survive. Thrice. Great bands. You guys enjoy songs like Blackout and KttK because they're unique, if they did entire albums of nothing but that you'd get tired of it fast and you know that.

And that's not even touching the point of the bands own competency to even make a lot of those songs. The dreaded "radio sounding singles" are a constant source of derision around here, but have you ever taken a step back to think maybe they're actually significantly better with that style than they are with most of their stabs at really risky shit?

Lost in the Echo? Conventional. Also essentially flawless. Until It Breaks? Dogshit.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I really don't care where they go next honestly.

I'd love them to blend the raw agressive energy of THP with the genre-busting approach of ATS, but I doubt it'll happen so yeah...

Though, one thing I wouldn't like would be a full-on folk/ mellow record similar to some songs of the Mall soundtrack. I'm open for some songs like that, but a full record of that would be way too much for me... just personnal tastes here.

Edit: and yeah, agreed with Blackee's post anyway. The "conventional = bad" thing is ridiculous.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Although I wouldn't call UIB dogshit, It reminds me of a really rough and jarring mash-up with sharp breaks between like 3 or 4 songs which don't really flow together at all, I have to agree with Blackee here, guys.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

A good song is a good song, weather or not it has a unique style or a conventional style.

A bad song is a bad song, weather or not it has a unique style or a conventional style.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

:pope:

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

This.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Opinions, not facts. "Breaks" is one of my top favourite songs by the band so I definitely disagree here. :disgust: And I don't particularly like "Echo" but not because of its song structure.

t_thorngate

t_thorngate Member

I'd like to see them make an album with Flood as the producer

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I'll say this about covential structure. They did it with this record but it didn't feel like that. I was worried about it but they really did a good job making radio structure seem not so boring. As far as the future of the band goes... I don't know. And that's what makes LP exciting and nerve racking at the same time. Guess only time will tell.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

As Tony said, it all comes down to opinions. Most of Linkin Park's "slabs at really risky shit" (a la ATS) are, in my opinion, a lot better than the conventional stuff; "UNTIL IT BREAKS" is, in my opinion, ten times better than "LOST IN THE ECHO".

I'd agree with you... but you spelled "whether" "weather", so, fuck that. :lol:

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

I honestly couldn't care less about structure or style. If it's a good song, it's a good song. Judging songs strictly based on structure or style is stupid IMO.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Because the songs themelves are better, or are you giving them more credit because they're "risky"? It really does appear most of the time that a lot of the grading done here is on some kind of curve that unconventional songs are superior simply because they're unconventional, rather than the end result being any good.

Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

This.
    For me, because the songs are just infinitely better. Don't get me wrong, songs with a generic structure can be fucking awesome like Across the Line or In Pieces, where the song builds and throws some different things at you. But shit like What I've Done, I'll be Gone, or Until it's Gone go exactly where you think they're going to, and follow the annoyingly-rigid standard Linkin Park structure to a tee. That's just way too boring for my taste not what I want in a song. So I would gladly take an album of Blackout's and Keys to the Kingdom's, over one full of Lost in the Echo's any day.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Yeah, it could work. But this is Linkin Park, you'll either get a Wastelands or a Lies Greed Misery. Same structure, and such a difference. One guitar driven, other completely electronic. They rarely do both in one song.

Yet, the vast majority of this forum will chose ATS as their favorite album. But yeah, we'd get tired of it fast. Right.

Can you really say songs like Until It's Gone are significantly better than say, The Catalyst, their most famoust stab at really risky shit?

I honestly can't say which of these remarks made me laugh more. Actually, it's gotta be calling LITE essentially flawless. :rofl:

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

[​IMG] dead. wtf?

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Newsflash - opinions: they Exist. While I don't consider Until it Breaks to be dogshit, in my opinion it's pieces are definitely greater than the sum of it's parts. I'd back up Blackee in saying that Lost In The Echo is nearly flawless in execution for a conventional Linkin Park anthem. Songs can be amazing even if they aren't uber zomg risky.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

LITE is waaaaay up there in my LP rankings. I agree, I don't really care about song structure too much. A good song is a good song. I would love the folk/soft album, with stuff like Three band Terror, mall sounding songs, etc. And you know they whole thing wouldn't be soft, they would throw in a couple of songs that are at least Burn it Down level energy. But it would be really cool if they produced a hit piano ballad single, with Chester really showcasing his vocal ability.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Stylistically speaking, the beats and lyrics in "Until It Breaks" are way more up my alley, so to speak, than those of "Echo". I like dub music with a bit of grit and harsh-sounding hip-hop production ... and basically every single element of the beat (particularly the bass in vs1 and the contrast between the lo-fi drums and the ambient-sounding gtr in vs3), the vocals and the lyrics. In many ways, it's my kind of song and no other band but my favourite band could have delivered it.

I don't mind "Echo", but it's the kind of song I would've liked a hell of a lot more if it had come out a decade back when I still felt that "Hybrid Theory" and "Meteora" were still the freshest things out. Whether one song is "better" than the other, I don't know - I just like one more than the other. :) By a long shot.

20. Josh

Josh Met LP 8-13-14 LPA VIP

I'd say that most people would agree on a "Mall" soundtrack type of album,

Or a ATS pt.2/ATS mixed with more aggressive