"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

Nemesis23

Nemesis23 Well-Known Member

My favorite song on Hybrid Theory. "The sun goes down, I feel the light betray me" remains one of my favorite lyrics they've written to this day. Mike's fast paced rapping and chesters chanting on the chorus compliment each other so well. Can't get enough of this song.

lordblood

lordblood Radiance of a Thousand Suns

Ah yes, Papercut. This is my third favorite album opener song (KTTK, BITS, then this). The rhythm is what makes Papercut so good, the bass and guitar lines really gives it that "rap-rock" feel. Although I don't listen to Hybrid Theory that often anymore, one of my favorite things about this song is the energy it has in live concerts. The combination of the pacing and energy of the song, combined with the fact that almost everyone recognizes and loves this song, makes it one of the best live experiences at a LP concert.

Oh, and Mike Shinoda's hair. That is all.

Joshua

Joshua is Mr. "to many Mind"

Easily one of my favorite tracks. When someone wanna know what LP is all about, just listen to this song.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

"Papercut" is one of the few Hybrid Theory songs I immediately liked when I first listened to this album four years ago (the others being "Crawling", "In the End" and "Pushing Me Away"). It showcases the best of Linkin Park - skillful rapping, hip-hop-like guitar riffs and addictive drumbeats. The call-and-response of Mike and Chester in this song is the best.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

thank-you thank-you thank-you for typing "addictive" and not "addicting"

No call-and-response happens in the studio v. of the song, just so we're clear. Shinoda does all the rapping in the verses while Chester does all the rapping in the choruses and all the singing

The Joesen One

I was referring to the last part where Mike and Chester trade vocals. I didn't know what else to call them. :lol:

minuteforce

They actually don't. Shinoda has no vocals outside of the verses in the studio recording. :p What you're referring to is just a combination of the bridge section continuing and chorus vocals happening over the top.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Hmm, you'd call the chorus vocals rapping? Hmmm.

minuteforce

For lack of a better term, yes.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Papercut still stands as one of their more unique songs to date. I can't think of any other song in their discography that has a chorus the way Chester delivers this bitch like a hot pie from a 400 degree oven. Oh, then when the bridge comes in and then the closing of the song, come on. They have yet to replicate it (good) or even top that section.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

One of their most unique, and one of the best live. My knees are crap from all the times I've leaped into the air in time with the intro, like Chester does on stage lol. At first I actually didn't care for the song, beyond Mike's raps, because it was so different from other LP that I heard. Now it's way up there in my ranking/

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

"Papercut" is a song that fills me with nostalgia. Hearing it from time to time sends chills down my spine and gets me pumped like crazy. The only others that do that are "One Step Closer" and maybe "Faint" (Even though "Faint" gives me a headache). The intro remains one of my favorites, if not my favorite. As soon as you hear the drums at the beginning you know something's about to go down. I heard this song not long after "In the End", and after hearing them both I knew I'd be a fan for as long as they made music. "Papercut" was the introductory song that perfectly showcased what Linkin Park was at the time and still remains one of their funnest songs to date.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Papercut. One of the Crown Jewels of the HT era. An undisputed classic. I doubt I've seen anyone on these boards that dislikes this song.

Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

I will say, I'm impressed. This forum represents a rather large range of people with quite varied tastes, but everyone seems to be on the same, positive note on this track. Really nice! ;3

BIBBLE

BIBBLE Well-Known Member

Papercut is in my top 3 all time LP songs. I have never seen any Linkin Park fan that doesn't like it.

MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

One of the best LP songs, it never gets old, its dark, chilling, and awesome.
    The bridge is epic.

Bawa

Waiting on the next song ;3

minuteforce

Apparently, I'm taking charge for now. :rolleyes:

So, "One Step Closer"!

This was the song that introduced Linkin Park to the world. It features some of the signature elements that define "Hybrid Theory" and, to a much lesser extent, the rest of their discography to date as well: Chester's trademark vocals ... Joe Hahn's turntable scratching ... the rest of the guys ... and, of course, a crazy Linkin Park video. :)

One of the things that I like about this song is that it's an example of the way guitars, drums and bass can fit together so nicely in a Linkin Park song. In another thread, Reflectionist had this to say about Bourdon's drumming and the way that the mixing lets it shine:

I think that "One Step Closer" is a great example of what he's describing here, and I suppose that the other band members deliver well in that same sense as well.

I also really like the atmospheric synths which are layered throughout the track and which are more prominent in The Humble Brothers' reworking of the song for "Reanimation".

Bawa

One Step Closer, to me, feels like it solidified Linkin Park's image in the minds of people as "That emo band". The lyrics definitely can carry that teen angst, angry at everything interpretation. And while I do feel it to be one the weakest of the album lyrically, it is definitely one hell of a rocker. The vocal presentation is awesome here, with some good mix between the calmer, slightly more whisper-like singing on the verses, to the explosion on the chorus and bridge. The instrumentation, while simple in the guitar department, shines with the excellent drumwork and wonderfully mixed bass lines in the verses. Completed with the ambient synths and the vocal layering on the chorus, and the song really does leave an excellent impression and carries a lot of energy with it.

It is also, by no means, anything but a classic. It is one of the songs that really put the band on the map, and should be appreciated for that for sure. It also shows that a band that seemed to be revolutionizing it's own unique genre, could still make a genuinely enjoyable rock tune.

Minute, glad to see you took over! I was getting worried when the thread just seemed to die, just as we reached the two days, really like this idea! I'm loving that it seems most people are getting to the thread and getting their thoughts in perfectly in the time period, at first I was worried it was too long, but it's working out really well!

The Joesen One

I first heard this song when I was skimming through their singles back in 2010.

And, up to this day, I didn't really like it.

Honestly, I didn't know what's with all the hype of this song, until after a few listens. Chester's voice is a little raspy at this time, and Mike is barely heard. I do have respect for this song, as it was the first time I've heard metal guitars sound groovy. I'm not a huge fan of the melody nor the chorus. Mr. Hahn's scratching in the bridge is cool. The only time I legitimately loved the song was Road to Revolution. But other than that, this is one of the many LP songs I skip.