Is anybody disappointed in Mike for taking shots at other bands?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by thesungoesdown, Jul 6, 2014.

The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

Contrast that with:

This is blatantly obvious. I don't even know why I need to point this out. Let the chips fall where they may. If you still find this stuff offensive, then just chalk it up to the fact that a musician you like takes a dump, throws a tantrum when he hears a bad song on the radio, and has opinions on genres which you may not share. Cry me a river.

/thread.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

You didn't even quote the article where he calls out a Foster The People member for having written commercial jingles prior to being in the band, nor the article where he actually says Disney Commercial Music. :lol:

Both comments in the same article. http://noisey.vice.com/blog/mike-shinoda-linkin-park-interview-the-hunting-party-cover-reveal

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Mike said so much stupid shit and the other members didn't get to talk at all this cycle. Mike was actually cringeworthy with some of the stuff he said.

Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it as I do if the band wasn't using the softest songs on the album to promote it. He has been practicing too much dontopedology for my tastes. Hopefully he learns a lesson and doesn't make the same mistake next album cycle. Bad PR.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I though Mike's comment about Foster the People was kinda cold, but definitely true. They sound like jingle music. Somehow "rock" music today is a throwback of yesterday's pop, which totally confuses me also

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Implied? :rolleyes:

M&M

M&M Banned

I think if Mike just stuck with what he said last year in his response to ''Rock Music Sucks Now And It's Depressing'', all of this could have been easily avoided. He simply was saying last year with his response that he felt rock music has gone a bit ''herbivorous'' and he wanted rock to be ''carnivorous'' so he was going to make a Linkin Park album that reflected that.

He didn't need to personally shout out some of the bands, even if he is fans of them. If he just said he felt that current rock radio is a bit herbivorous, people could have assumed what kind of music he was talking about without him ever saying any names or anything like that.

tripleh3lix

tripleh3lix Well-Known Member

It is kind of a bitch move, regardless of what anyone says or what he said afterward justifying what he said.

outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

he just wanted to get attention to the album but he did it in a wrong way, i dont think he is really aware of his own music, LP was never a rock/metal band, they always had mainstream success and MTV/radio suport. so everything he said during most interviews could be said about LP

and THP is far from what he implied it would be, its heavy for LP standards, but it surely will not cause a rock revolution, or make rock relevant again in mainstream.

promoting it with UIG and now FM is really stupid, he wants a rock album but put 2 radio friendly ballads in there (which is ok), and uses them as singles for the Visceral rock album when they sound nothing like the rest of the album

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Taken on its own, I don't think that this is a bad move if people wind up checking out the album and expecting it all to sound like "Until It's Gone"

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Considering the follow-up article he wrote, I don't think he was insulting anyone. Granted, I think he could have tried harder to clarify that he wasn't digging on them. I'll admit that's how it came off at first to me before he came out and clarified his thoughts.

outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

i agree, but hardly people that listen UIG on radio will like the rest of the album, if they even bother to listen to it

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Foster the People is technically indie pop (they only had more guitar in their second album) so I don't think it's fair to classify them as rock. They're just played at rock radio because alternative pop exists.

The Free Element

The Free Element Well-Known Member

Mike shooted on the wrong people. I really love CHVRCHES and I don't think they pretend to be rock,actually. They are electronic pop,and they know that. Actually,their music is pretty good,and I usually don't like modern pop. If Mike wants to prove his points right,he should attack bands like "5 Seconds Of Summer". "Punk rock" my ass.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Nope because he's right.

Even if it's a band that some of us enjoy modern rock radio is full of flaccid sounding bands that are to afraid to be different or even brash.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

^ That all the way.

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

No, but at the same time yes. :lund:

Only because after all his talk, UIG is the song that is hitting the airwaves most from what I can tell. That is a little hypocritical. I know WBR has some say in the single, but it is kind of ridiculous. I could understand the trash talk better if the current radio single was, say, KTTK or Rebellion.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

They released Guilty All The Same, Wastelands, and Rebellion and none of them seem to be as popular as Until It's Gone.
    Mike did acknowledge the album to be a bad business decision.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I don't really give a shit. What Mike does with the band's stock at this point has no effect on me. Though if I were him this is the last thing I would be doing. To start with he has to recognize that he is in a often despised by people just based on who they are. Like if Nickelback is a 10 on the unrespectable scale, LP is definitely a 7 or an 8. But now a lot of people have bought into this "Linkin Narc" story, there's another hit right in the respectability. And now Mike is just calling out bands for no reason. Even if it didn't happen to the level the interview makes it seem, it did happen and it happened at a level that it was kind of shitty of Mike to do. It was just bad judgement on his part to even give the interviewer the opportunity.

Quack

Quack Well-Known Member

Honestly, GATS was the lead single of the album, which is a perfect example of what the album is like. The fact that Until It's Gone, a poppier single, got more attention in terms of airplay is just because UIG is a much more accessible song. Because of it's accessibility UIG would naturally be selected to be picked as a single, but it's not like LP is solely trying to promote the album off of the poppy ballads on THP. I mean they could release just the really heavy songs as singles, but would those actually get any airplay - which is pretty much the whole point of releasing singles ? In my view, it's a smart decision to attract some attention to the album with UIG.

And about Mike's comments, I see nothing too wrong with what he was trying to say, just maybe the phrasing of it. I mean honestly, I'm tired off all the indie pop on my "rock" radio station too and I agree with Mike in saying there are way too many bands like CHVRCHES and Foster the People and what not.