"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

"Somewhere I Belong" doesn't feel aged to me. Otherwise, I agree.

Joshua

Joshua is Mr. "to many Mind"

I remember listening to that song for the first time(s) on TV, when it came out. At first, i felt like "okaaay", because it wasn't the music i was listening at that time. Since that song came very often on TV, i gave it 2 or 3 more tries and i started to like it really much. I think, this was the first time, that i was really excited to hear more stuff of an interpret in general.

It's still one of my favorite songs of Hybrid Theory and i have absolutely no problems with the lyrics. Very cool and catchy riff, powerful and "straight-forward". Awesome song with nice memories to me.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

My start with Linkin Park is a bit foggy, I can't remember the exact point where I stuck with the band (but it's definitely between OSC and Crawling).. I've told this story more than a handful of times, I used to be up very early on weekends to record my favorite videos on VHS, during the extinct MTV sections "Videosomnia" (until 7:00am) and "Videorama" (rest of the day).

The OSC video was really a memorable one because of its colors and its punch, and by that time my 11 year old self couldn't really make the difference between Chester Bennington and Shifty Shellshock from Crazy Town :lol:, so that's pretty much the reason I didn't go with LP right off the bat from first watch/listen, as a few weeks passed on I eventually got hooked. One Step Closer still remains as a pretty enjoyable song for me, and the bridge they do on Reanimation is just fucking epic.

It's a classic and I think it'll stay that way for me for quite a while.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

let's move on, shall we?

next up, "With You".

always liked this track. it's always kind of just 'been there', as weird as that may sound. i can't say
    much about it, but i am definitely interested to hear what you guys have to say.

oh, but the Reanimation version of this track is fucking awesome. really love the sound and the vibe.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I never really appreciated this song until they returned this song to their sets in 2012. For me, this perfectly displays the mix of heavy and soft in early LP - metal guitars and Chester's singing on the chorus, shifting to Mike's rapping with Brad's rhythm guitar. And that DJ solo.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Everything about this song is great. The guitars, scratching, vocals, lyrics. Reanimation version is also killer.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

It was never my favorite. I like it, but it doesn't sit totally right with me. I love the intro and the verses... I guess it's the chorus that bugs me, and to some extent the bridge. I'm not a big fan of the delivery or the lyrics. Nevertheless, it's an enjoyable listen, and it was cool to see it live during the LT tour.

On the Reanimation version, I love the intro ''Come on!'' scream, but the guitars there kinda lost the punch. The verses are meh aswell. Prefer the original over it.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

With You was, and still is, one of my favorite nostalgic LP tracks. People often wonder here what songs you should play for someone that has never heard of LP, and I think the original and Reanimation version are great choices. It showcases the classic Linkin Park sound with a really catchy chorus that is only boosted by the live show. Great song.

Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

My favorite song of Hybrid Theory.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

With You is just one of those tracks where you forget how awesome it is until you listen to it again. It's timeless for me, the chorus is awesome and back in the day it was one of their best songs live, there are a few memorable performances of it on proshot.

Also its Reanimation is great, love the new instrumental and the guest rap verse in the middle was one of the first I learned in english, back when I couldn't speak much, so it's very special for me. Linkin Park believe it or not played a HUGE role during my learning process, so With You is just one of those songs that are very special to me.

The Free Element

The Free Element Well-Known Member

This is the song that made me re-discover Linkin Park,and it's one of my favorites.

lime treacle

This is probably my second favorite Hybrid Theory song after "A Place for My Head". The chord progression of the heavy parts and the high-pitched electro sample have a sense of timelessness to them. I love the lyrics of Mike's verses and the grungy way Chester sings the chorus. The fading-in scream is a great touch (too bad Chester doesn't do that live anymore). Overall, this is one of the most mature and impressive songs on the album and one that I'm always glad to hear.

Same here.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

With You is an interesting song for me. I don't put it on any of my daily playlists, but whenever it's brought up or played on a whim I love it. The chorus is definitely one of the most powerful the band had made on Hybrid Theory. The lyrics feel a lot more intimate and personal than the other more general "You and I" songs the band has made, probably due to the convincing performances on both Chester and Mike's parts. Definitely one of my favourites on the album.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Not my favorite SOng of the bands discography, but imo one song, which Mr.Hahn did a perfect job in it. Love that bridge and the chorus :)

Captain-EO likes this.
    Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

With You is really one of the songs that I think demonstrates Linkin Park's ability back in 2000. It boasts some of Mike's most chill and well written lines of the album (In my opinion), Chester's delivery on the Chorus and Pre-Chorus is grungy, raspy and frankly, awesome. Joe's prescense on this track is just awesome, from that sort of wobbly ring that echoes through the whole track, to the nice soft pads during Mike's verses. The digital touches during those verses as well really make the song feel very early 2000s, but doesn't hurt it to the point where it feels overly dated, and actually, is quite a nice touch.

Still heavier then everything on THP :kappa:

I'm gonna quickly mention that I refuse to acknowledge Reanimation's existence for a lot of reasons, so... No comments on that for me.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I would agree with some of the sentiments others have expressed about "With You," which is that the edition off of Hybrid Theory was really just there and never to me was particularly notable. It was never a bad track. I like the verses enough, and the DJ solo is pretty neat (man, imagine that - DJ solos).

However, "Wth>You" to me is so superior. As someone else said, the opening "Come On" scream is just so cool to me. I think the song is heavier, and is a lot more atmospheric than its original. I find it a lot more interesting, and I mentioned it in another thread that I love the way they flip the note and chord progressions in the guitar portions and in Chester's vocals. For whatever reason, it completely changed the tone of the song and made it a little darker. The bridge by Aceyalone, which gets laid over by Chester singing, "No," gives me chills each and every time. To me it's the best track on Reanimation, and that to me is why I think "With You" as a whole is memorable at all.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

With You- One of the few songs from HT that I really like.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Love With You. Love the reanimation version. It's just got such a goo atmosphere to it.

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

"No matter how far we've come, I, I can't wait to see tomorrow with youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" will always be one of my favourite LP lyrics. I think it showed they were more than just a bunch of angry young men shouting about how angry they are with life

lime treacle

That typo is hilarious. Goo atmosphere :lol: