Linkin Park discusses Hunting Party in "Revolver" Magazine

Discussion in 'News' started by Louis, Jul 16, 2014.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Linkin Park's fanbase REALLY fetishizes LP's demos even when some of them are complete crap. People flipped shit for Holding Company which is, at best, mediocre. We want what we can't have. Man the posts about the "lost/deleted" Joe Hahn hard drive... "OMG I WONDER WHAT WAS ON IT!?!"

Meteora was their only Part II album and most hardcore fans wish it didn't exist. So they went in a different direction every album and some fans are mad they didn't make a Part II Indie Rock album. I read a Haim interview where Mike was at their show and asked them about their song writing process. I LOVE Haim (as does Mike) but LP taking tips from Haim? Hell no. Find your own path. Which is what they did. Mike says the demos were derivative because he was trying to follow a trend. They may have been amazing songs but as an artist, if you feel you're chasing a trend you should probably trash those songs.

thesungoesdown

thesungoesdown It's like I'm paranoid..

The Hunting Party does not push the genre forward, it pushes it backwards. They created a rock record that's 20 years too late. It's imitation, not innovation i.e. Rebellion. There's no soul or identity to the record.

LP defiantly is a dictatorship with Mike. I think he's the jack of all trades and the hardest worker in the band from the music, the live show,and the marketing end. Because the band is so financially successful it's hard to say "no" to Mike when he's the glue and what has made LP work. If i'm part of something special and it's bringing me in million years to live a life of leisure and I had a guy like Mike doing a lot of the work, i probably wouldn't argue against him. I bet Joe Hahn and Phoenix are still in the band for the money/opportunity not because of the music.

BUT in regards to creativity and making good music all 6 band members need a say, and you can tell they all have really different musical interests that's why you'll have a record like this with 4 guys hesitant about the direction.

stringsibanez

stringsibanez ...

In regard to these sentiments: I tend to live mostly on the studio / performance side of the industry, but I do personally know (or have at least interacted with) a decent few managers of moderately-known touring acts, entertainment lawyers, publishing executives, A&R, etc.. the more "business" side of the business..

Anyway, I have it on good authority that a surprising percentage (read: most) of the major-label recording contracts, publishing contracts, and other band-related legal documents that get passed around... are worded in such a way that the actual "band" is, in reality, just one or two guys in most cases, and the rest of the "band", as presented to the public, are basically glorified studio and touring musicians. They get publicly credited and presented as full-fledged members, and are contractually obligated to behave as such (as well as non-disclosures, etc), but legally speaking have little or no say in big decisions, marketing, songwriting, etc...

I don't personally believe that Linkin Park is one of those cases, but I'd be willing to bet that at least a few bands in anyone's music library are. Honestly, I feel like the bands where this is the case aren't actually too hard to spot, and that the two guys or whoever are actually the band are often pretty easy to pick out.

It might be kinda depressing from an idealistic perspective, but the fact that all 6 members of LP actually get a "vote" at all is far from the industry rule.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Please define what "soul" is to music, and how music achieves "soul". It's really getting derivative how many people on this forum bash The Hunting Party for no other reasons than "this record has no soul" or "the band wasn't inspired to make this sound".

From what I can interpret, the "soul" (whatever the hell that is) of the record is the result of Mike finding ambition and *gasp* inspiration in creating heavier, more aggressive music, that fights upstream against the flow of mellow/indie/pop music that is defining and swallowing up this generation of music.

For those that argue Mike forced this ambition and inspiration onto the band, then why on earth did Rob spend 4-5 hours a day practicing drums, to the point where he threw his back out? Why would Brad decide to pick up a guitar again for the first time since Minutes To Midnight in the studio, let alone produce guitar solos that shit on everything the band has before on guitar, for nearly every track on the album? Why is the band so fucking adamant in forcing their controversial opinions down everyone's throats about the state of modern music?

Because they were inspired for The Hunting Party, and they feel that unlike everything else out there in modern radio music, the album carries a soul. Any of argument reeks of delusion and a desire for indie demos. The same demoes the entire band ultimately abandoned because they were uninspired by the sound.

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

The intent the band may have had to write the album doesn't translate to the listener at all in this record man. You're posting the same argument again "but they did it with good in their hearts! they did it with their best intentions", yeah, well, after listening to it on repeat, I've no longer listened to it in 2 weeks, same thing that happened with LT.

The band will do what Mike says for the sake of still keeping the band. Joe has said himself that he doesn't give a FUCK about being the DJ, he only does it because it's a hobby, what he really wants is to be a director. Same for everyone else, they just go with what Mike says, it's on the interview itself, did you read it?

“It all finally clicked one day,” he says. “I was listening to the stuff I was writing, and I realized it was so derivative. It wasn’t cutting edge, it wasn’t ahead of the curve, and it wasn’t doing the things that I wanted to listen to. I’d already played the stuff to the guys, and they were like, ‘Yeah, we like that, let’s do that!’ And then, the next time I saw them, I was like, “You know those songs I already played you, that you liked? I want to throw them in the trash…and I want to do this.”

The other guys will like whatever Mike brings, be it ""indie"" demos or ""hard rock"" songs. They never fight against it.

lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

Edit: I didn't like the way I was wording this post and I think I came off as too much of a dick so I am just going to say this, the idea that Linkin Park is no longer inspired really bothers me because it just means they are making music for music's sake which I just don't agree with. Linkin Park is a band who have been around longer than lots of other bands and I think that they deserve some benefit of doubt for inspiration wise. I do agree that Mike did come off as too aggressive this album cycle because I am a really passive guy but if Mike felt passionate about this then all the more power to him. Overall, I do like the Hunting Party but I would like to see the band branch off more and take an extended hiatus from writing music. I mean keep writing music but don't feel the need to put out an album in 2-3 years. They can afford the time and I and many other fans are willing to wait for them to really delve deep into an album for more than a year.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

On the whole, I'm pretty happy with "The Hunting Party", and, at least on this board, I feel that the community is really only divided over the songwriting on the album - specifically, the lyrics - rather than the ~RAWK~ direction which it goes in. Even people like myself who aren't big rock fans will admit that the drums and gtr work aren't too bad.

See, the conclusion I would jump to here is that he's just curious about their songwriting process, rather than that he needed "tips" because he wanted to emulate their style

Viper224

Viper224 Well-Known Member

The first time I heard "In The End" at 7 years old (now 21) I was instantly an LP fan. Since then I've grown up listening to the band and enjoyed every album along the way. I personally like both the "heavy" and "soft" sides of LP and that's what makes me love the band to begin with. The fact I can have my iPod on shuffle and it goes from "Robot Boy" to "GATS" and it's still the same band is crazy. There aren't many bands that change their sound as much as LP and that's what keeps me interested in them.

I consider myself to have a pretty broad taste in music. I like rock, hip-hop, electronic, indie, punk whatever pretty much anything besides country; except for Johnny Cash. The point is I listen to a lot of stuff and lately there's been kind of a void for me when it comes to rock. I keep finding myself going back to the past instead of the present. I myself have shared the same feelings Mike has about the current rock genre for the past few years. I like Mumford & Sons, The Naked and Famous, Foster The People, etc, but I've been craving for new ROCK.

There's been some good actual rock albums come out the past few years like Deftones or Queens of the Stone Age latest albums, but they just pop up every now and then. The latest from other bands I like such as 30STM and Muse have just been "meh" to me. I like them, but I don't love them. Also, something's wrong when Lorde (who I like) wins a best rock award. I love Lana Del Rey, but Rolling Stone's latest cover "The Saddest, Baddest Diva in ROCK"...WHAT?! Now Lana is considered rock?

I'm glad LP or at least Mike and Chester are standing up and going "fuck this! let's make a new movement!" I've been waiting for a new band or something to pop up that brings some rock back with a little modern twist to it. Guess for now I'll be satisfied with my old friend LP for coming to the forefront. I've really enjoyed THP and lately whenever I listen to a song from it I just end up listening to the rest of the album. Now can some other bands please step up?!

Josh

Josh Met LP 8-13-14 LPA VIP

I just hate how the forums bashes Living Things, but then immediately demands (basically) a Living Things part 2.

It's like saying you hate a smart car, but you drive it the next day.

I don't mind at all they went the THP direction. I thought it was a decent album, although I admit they could have done better.

It is just that everybody got worn out from the heavyness that they want a softer record now like "The Mall" score.

LP7: it depends what direction everybody wants to go. I feel that Dave, joe and rob (and possibly Brad) might want to go softer, and they get there way.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Mike is the man - he probably have more balls than any of the other band members. I mean to throw out acceptable demos because he felt like they were uninspiring and followed a trend takes balls. I like unfiltered Mike even through I wish more band members would speak in the interview.

Bane

Bane Together we'll fight the long defeat

Let's say, hypothetically, the band released their indie/soft/Living Things II songs as their sixth album instead of THP.
    Imagine they gave numerous interviews talking about how they were busy crafting the heaviest, most technically proficient songs of their career that revived the aggression and the kind of rock that they used to make in the past.
    Now imagine them telling the interviewer that they threw out these songs and decided to release Living Things II.

We would be exactly where we are right now.

Some people enjoying the album, some hating it and others lamenting the loss of an album that could have been. The grass is always greener on the other side. Keep that in mind, guys.

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

Yeah, THP is a solid album in my opinion. I don't understand the complaint about lyrics- FM, Rebellion, MTG, ALITS had great lyrics. I personally love KTTk's lyrics. The chorus of GATS and Wastelands is a bit bland yes but other wise, the album is standard LP. Also, about the comment that the band except Mike and Chester is dispensable- THP wouldn't be a shadow of what it was without Rob. The drumming on the album makes it very special. THP would be nothing without it. Too bad, he won't get credit for it. Although, I do cringe everytime Mike or Chester does an interview. I really like Mike, his pigeons and planes article was very thoughtful, his blog is awesome but he should shut up in interviews.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

I am inclined to agree. But I do think they were starting to chase the trend a bit with Recharged. I think Mike just felt a little too influenced by the current bands he liked when writing. If it sounds like something 16 bands on the radio can and are doing, why do it? Honestly in Nebraska there's not a lot of real rock on the radio unless they are playing classics. I heard GATS on the rock station after Seether and it was like a palette cleanser.

And I totally agree with Bane. It's how this fan base works lol. People were bitching during MTM when they said "heavy" and Qwerty was a bit of misdirection.

Joshua

Joshua is Mr. "to many Mind"

Where is the problem, when an Interpret doing a record, which could be made 20 years ago? What is bad with imitation? Dude, we are talking about Linkin Park, i think, to expect always innovations by this band is just wrong. They imitate since the beginning, Hybrid Theory was "Nu-Metal" - already an almost dead genre at that time. They were never groundbreaking and they never pushed a genre forward. Besides of that, i claim cheeky, that really innovations & groundbracking bands exist very rarely.

Here a little but finer detail: "The Hunting Party" might sound like an old-school record, but in terms of LP, it's new. So when you look this all in that perspective, this record is "innovative". Try to see the record with their eyes.

My opinion is, that all that talking about innovation and stuff like that, are just placeholder, if you know what i mean. Many say this things, because they don't like this record (enough). When you would like it, it wouldn't matter if it's innovative, commercial, catchy whatever - you just like it, that matters.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Out of all I've read from this thread (every single post), this is what I think I agree the most with.

What if those demos were some "trendy EDM" :shinado:? I'm saying it as a joke but when you think about it, they might just not be as rosy and you think they were. And THP is a very solid album to me.

But yes, Mike needs to shut up a little and stop saying the same things over and over again. He should know better.

M&M

M&M Banned

Everyone wants LIVING THINGS Part 2, yet all I ever see is people bashing and hating on LIVING THINGS. It's very weird. I personally love LIVING THINGS and I would be happy if they continued on and kept evolving as a band. The band was definitely inspired to write The Hunting Party, but I feel like it wasn't an evolution, it was just a vision that Mike had and they went with it. I would say each other album besides Meteora has been part of the evolutionary process. I hope on LP's 7th album, they continue on their evolutionary path, whatever kind of music they want to make, I will like, most likely.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Citation needed.

This is a false idiom when you don't know what the other side contains.

In an ideal world, we would have both albums. And hey, who knows: That's what LPU is there for.

3DU4RDO

3DU4RDO Burning in the Skies

THIS. I like THP a lot, but all my hopes this year go to LPU14.

jouki

jouki Well-Known Member

Here: "Everyone wants LIVING THINGS Part 2"

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

But the thing is, Mike Shinoda wants desperately for us to see this album as the start of a "movement" in mainstream music. Mike puts The Hunting Party in a broad context, so we should too. And in that context, there is absolutely nothing innovative about it.

All this album really has to say is, "hey, remember when punk was cool? yeah. fun times." Which is great, but all that does is reinforce the idea that all rock can be in the 2010s is nostalgic. Fuck that. If you want rock to make a comeback, push it forward.

Also, art doesn't exist in a bubble. All art exists in the greater social context. I was one of the first people to say "creative for Linkin Park" back when A Thousand Suns came out, but more and more I no longer agree with that attitude. It's condescending towards the band. So I don't think just looking at The Hunting Party, A Thousand Suns, or any album strictly within Linkin Park's discography is a good thing.