What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - 2.5/5

It presented some interesting ideas but at no point did it exceed my expectation. Every chance of some original and interesting idea got undercut by things we've seen in other films before. That was frustrating.

2. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2013) - 4.5/5

Going into this movie, I was a bit unsure, because comparisons had been made to The Dark Knight and The Empire Strikes Back in terms of improvement on it's predecessor. I'm happy to say that those comparisons are absolutely valid. This movie improves on nearly everything in Rise , and makes it so much bigger! I loved the parallels between the Apes and the Humans in this movie, showing that both sides are really just two sides of the same coin. The movie's biggest strength is that both sides are completely understandably, and sympathetic. You can't really fault each character's actions, even the main villains of the movie, in their position, I would have probably done the same. The only qualm I have with this movie is the main human character. While he didn't give a bad performance, I just wasn't emotionally invested in his character, nowhere to the degree that I did with James Franco in the last movie. Otherwise, GREAT movie.

3. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Confirmed: never believe any opinion Filip has ever again.

4. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

MKH is fucking great, I love the dude.

5. Agent

[​IMG]

Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) - 2.5/5

It started off quite creepy and atmospheric but slowly turned into a snooze-fest. The plot was taking forever to move forward, the atmospheric feel started to wane in the second half. Worst of all it wasn't scary for the most part. There were these really weird offbeat comedic moments that took me out of the film. The cast was great, some of the music and direction were awesome too. But the overall execution was really odd for a horror film.

6. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

:isee:

7. MKH

:samuel:

8. Filip

The Fault In Our Stars - 4/5

God damnit, does this make me a teenage female?

9. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

A lot of male critics like it, so that's doesn't make you a female YA. :p

10. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

[​IMG]

11. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Saving Mr. Banks - 10/10

Yep. I just did that. The only thing I can say: watch it.

12. Agent

[​IMG]

The Abyss (1989) - 4/5

From a film-making and directing stand point it was pretty mindblowing, esp for its time. Loved the claustrophobic atmosphere and all the suspenseful scenes. However, towards the end they revealed way too much about the creatures, which took away from the mystery of the whole thing. It ended up becoming kind of preachy and corny.

13. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Planes Fire and Rescue

I took my boys to see it. Was actually a lot better than I was expecting. If you like Disney Pixar movies, you will probably like this movie.

9/10

14. Filip

Hercules - 3.5/5

Seemed like a below average GoT episode. Enjoyable, though.

15. Agent

[​IMG]

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) - 3/5

I absolutely hated the first one but this one was a big step up. Enjoyed the chemistry between Garfield and Emma Stone. Their relationship seemed so believable. The Spidey witty banters were great too and so were most of the action. Although I could've done without the excessive use of CGI in the final battle. Overall a really fun watch.

16. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

divergent, B-.

17. Agent

[​IMG]

Blue Velvet (1986) - 3.5/5

By now I've come to expect David Lynch films to be out there and weird. This wasn't an exception. It has all the Lynch staples... small town, big mystery, surrealistic imagery and symbolism of which I got a few but the others went over my head. I enjoyed the film but overall it didn't leave that big an impression as his other films have (say Mullholland Drive).

18. jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

Lucy - 6/10

19. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Boyhood - 3/5

Okay, so I understand that this movie is a unique achievement. It is historically relevant and will go down in history for its ambition and the way it was filmed. The film world is better off with this movie than it is without.

But I just didn't like it very much.

Maybe it's because I'm only 22, and I'm not old enough to feel super nostalgic for the journey from child to adult, because in a lot of ways I'm still on that journey myself. Maybe there wasn't enough concrete plot. Maybe the characters were too unlikeable. Whatever it is, this movie just didn't click with me. A lot of the writing is really cheesy. The male authority figures give speeches about living up to your potential, there are scenes with older high school kids that plays out like the kind of stuff you'd see in a middle school PSA video about peer pressure. When the main character reaches about 16-18 years old, he goes on about how people are "robots" living their lives through screens and all that other *I'm super unique because I'm weird and cynical* bullshit. Then again, that kind of thing is totally realistic for someone that age, so maybe I should consider it a positive.

There's also a really dumb side story about a hispanic male who goes from a poor plumber to high class educated waiter all because the mom told him he was smart and he should take some night classes. The point was to show that even the little interactions that seem insignificant can have a giant impact somehow. But to me it felt like emotion-baiting at best, and white savior-ing at worst.

I don't know. It meandered. It wasn't a particularly smart movie. And I don't think it was supposed to be, it was just supposed to make me feel something. I just didn't feel it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  20. MKH

The Expendables 3 - 2.5 out of 5

More light-hearted, but it still manages to find a balance amongst all 10 players this time around - even Caesar gets his "10 seconds" to shine. However, once again, the climactic hero vs. villain fight falls short. At least the story and execution of said story was much more clear with this third installment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.