Top 5 headphones?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Nobody Can Shave Me Now, Jul 21, 2014.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

I am planning on re-upping my gear with a new pair of headphones. I've been doing extensive research but the options are aplenty. I need to ask you audiophiles out there for help. What are your top 5 pair of headphones you recommend?

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Everyone's gonna tell you Audio Technica ATH M50. So let me be the first one.

*waits for detailed posts from MKH, Ryan and Gibs*

-

Actually, fuck it. I got these headphones 5 days ago. I've been through some of my favorite albums, and I've found all sorts of new things in some of my favorite songs. For example, the drums in WTCFM are more amazing than ever, the bass in Coldplay's Midnight is incredible, and I'm listening to I Am A God by Kanye, there's a synth I never noticed before. They are... super comfortable. It's very hot here, but I can wear these and not get sweaty. I don't even feel like they're on. They cushions are very soft, and the entire headphones are super flexibile, you can have an enormous head, they'll fit. Keep in mind these are monitor headphones, though. Their frequency range is 15-28000 Hz, I think. They work great on the computer, and even when recording guitar into the computer, but don't work very well when plugged straight into the amp, for example. I don't know if you play guitar but I feel like that's important to know. I recommend these, they're also at a reasonable price range for this price range. Got mine for $170.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

Filip you are amazing. And actually I have a pair. Zane recommended them to me a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I have to get them fixed. The head jack it's self is twisted. I miss em so much :( I suppose I could contact the manufacturer and see if they do repairs.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

When it comes to headphones, you're really going to get what you pay for, unless you're buying Beats or anything that best buy has lined up. But with companies like Audio Technica, Sennheiser, V Mode, Sony, etc. You're going to get what you pay for. Which might be a lot, but you're going to get an amazing pair of headphones. A good thing to do is to look what specifications really matter. Because things like frequency range don't actually mean anything but is the first thing advertised. That's my tip.

Filip

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

super :ninja:.....:shifty:

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Haha. I won't post a shit load of stuff, since OP already had them. BUT. To the people who are thinking about buying headphones:

These headphones easily exceeded my expectations, which I already had pretty damn high from the start. Straight out of the box, they sounded miles better than my equally priced Bose AE1 headphones. They're incredibly comfortable, balanced, and well built. The fucking quality of them feels so premium, like you paid 5x more than what you did. Super sturdy and well made. It's ridiculous how immersive music can become when using them. All in all, well priced for what you get.

-

If the cable on the headphones constintely break for you, I'd recommend the M50X, since it has a removable cable. It's a little extra, and I don't believe it sounds any different, but again, worth it if you find your cable breaking first a lot in your headphones. Choices for ya ;)

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Audio Technica ATH-M50

FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

My Seinheinser Momentum's are gorgeous. Expensive, but worth it. Best HPs I've had. Extremely comfortable, stylish, but most Importantly they sound incredible. There only weakness is their "noise cancelling" could be a tad better, but that's hardly anything considering. Obviously if your looking for an "in studio" practise headsets then I'd advise to look elsewhere with Seinheinser but If you want portable HPs to listen to HQ music on the move , these headphones will be for you. :bradwink:

05_feature_color.jpg

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Sennheiser has never been anything but amazing to me. Highly recommended.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

For ruggedness, quality and sound: Sony MDR 7506s are my go-to for 90% of my mixing/sound monitoring and leisure listening. They are like the Behringer Truth monitors: Very flat and if something sounds like crap it won't color the sound. It forced me to really step up my production game because of cans were really emphasizing certain frequencies. I would play it back on the 7506s or the Truths and realize it sounded like crap still lol.

sony_MDR_7506.jpg

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

ATH-M50X.

Yes.

White.

Double yes.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Audio Technica ATH-M50. Join the fanclub we have here for this pair of amazing headphones.

When I got these, I was a bit skeptical, I've always preferred speakers over headphones. So when I first got back from the store and listened to THP and ATS I was seriously tempted to throw my speakers into the trash bin, the headphones sounds that damn good.
    And they are cheap, and when you think of the quality you get they seem even cheaper. Almost like you're tempted to send Audio Technica a check for another 100$ just to make it fair.

Really though, get them. This goes for EVERYONE.

lordblood

lordblood Radiance of a Thousand Suns

Another M50 user here, and I would recommend them 100%. Get the M50x, it'll be a much better investment in the long run since you can switch the cable out without replacing the entire headset. If you look around online you can probably get a pair for $150. I've been using mine for about two years now and although the cable got bent (my fault, I dropped my laptop with the jack plugged in and it took the brunt of the fall) I can still hear everything great!

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I like how no one has made a list of Top 5 headphones yet! :p

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I listed some companies in my first post. Does that mean I win?

Filip

Does anyone own 5 pairs of great headphones?

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Why have five when you only need one?

I do have a different pair to recommend besides the ATH-M50. Unfortunately, it's the ATH-M30, which is nicer on the wallet.

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Truth be told I started with m50s four years ago and loved them as an entry level high quality headphone. Now, the audio technicas no longer are good enough and I've been using V Moda M100s. I'd recommend the over ear Momentums as well. And then for less stylish but true audiophile go with HiFiman brand or open Sennheisers.