August 8, 2014 - West Palm Beach, FL

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, Aug 7, 2014.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Here's my full concert review of the first show on the Carnivores Tour, on August 8th, 2014, in West Palm Beach, Florida.

AFI
    A decent opening act. They played their music well, perhaps with too little energy, but overall an alright show. The crowd sang the famous "Miss Murder" as it closed the set. I'm not a fan of their music, nor of the early-2000 type of punk rock they make. There were moments I could enjoy them, regardless.

30 SECONDS TO MARS
    I'm very familiar with all of their albums. I used to like their music a lot, but within the last year or so, lost the enthusiasm for them. While I can still find their music enjoyable on a radio-listening type of casual experience, I don't actively listen to them as I used to. So of course, I went into the show expecting it to just be a fun and enjoyable set. I had heard comments about Jared Leto being inferior live. While I was hoping that he would sound fine for my show, my expectations weren't incredibly high in that regard. So, that's where I'm coming from with this review. As a prior fan with low expectations.

I'll talk about Jared Leto first. He was as bad as people say he is. In studio, his voice has an iconic deep and melodic feature which I really like. Live, however, he doesn't even attempt to replicate it. He sounded like he was singing as a side thought. It felt lazy and boring. He would only sometimes sing choruses in full. It wasn't that he would motion to the audience to join in, either. He just wouldn't sing, and would let the lines go. The way that he sustained his notes... Oh wait, he didn't. Fine, I can set aside the fact that he doesn't sound as perfect as he does in studio, but the dude didn't even try to sing the notes. Long, dragged out notes became short and only enough to say the word that he was singing.

I didn't like the way the band sounded at all. The two albums which they stuck to exclusively, "This Is War" and "LOVE LUST FAITH DREAMS" are both tech-heavy sounding albums. A lot of keys, layering, strings, produced drumming, and a lot of bass. They just didn't work live. The thing that amazed me was the fact that there was no bassist on stage. I couldn't tell if the bass was tracked, or if the bassist was hiding back stage. Not only that, but Tomo, the guitarist, also had an array of keyboards in front of him. He played them sometimes, and if he did, there was a backing guitar track. It was weird. It gave this feeling, as if the band really didn't need to be there. I mean, the bass was probably not live, the guitar wasn't live, and all of the electronic elements were triggered from back stage. The only things happening live were the drums, Jared's half assed vocals, and the guitar Tomo sometimes decided to play. Otherwise, the drumming was pretty solid. It sounded really great if you ignored the rest of the music.

Aside from the way the band sounded, the set was okay. The crowd enjoyed the songs, it seemed. However, I was a little annoyed that they totally ignored two albums, also half of their discography, in place of the newer material. In a way, that doesn't sound awful, but, they played only the hits from the new albums. Which means- crowd vocals on every song. Now, when I first heard "This Is War", the amount of songs with crowd vocals written into them stood out to me. I found out that the band did that so the crowd would have a place in the live shows, and I was alright with that. I thought it was a neat idea. Having never seen a performance online or live of the band, it was honestly fucking awful. Jared doesn't handle it well at all. Not only does he ask the crowd to sing the gang vocal parts, but then, he doesn't sing his parts, or will ask the crowd to sing his parts. Eventually, it starts to feel like he just doesn't want to sing. I can appreciate crowd inclusion, but not like this.

All in all, as much criticism as I've given 30 Seconds To Mars, I had fun during their set. Musically, there was always the feeling that I wanted something more from them performance-wise. However, it was still a lot of fun to sing along with the crowd during songs like "Up In The Air" and "Night Of The Hunter".

LINKIN FUCKIN' PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHRK
    The show exceeded my expectations and more. I went in hoping that Chester would sound decent, hoping that Brad's guitar tech didn't fuck up (or his playing, regarding Rebellion, even), and hoping that I could at the very least enjoy "Hybrid Theory" and "Meteora" era material. With those expectations, it was no fucking fluke that I enjoyed the hell out of the show. No concert has ever gotten as much genuine enthusiasm and excitement as Linkin Park did. After a long and tedious wait between 30 Seconds To Mars' set and Linkin Park's, the moment finally came when the lights dimmed and faint sounds of "The Requiem" started playing. The excitement in the crowd was amazing. The band walked on stage and started playing the garage-y sounding intro to "Guilty All The Same". The intro quickly evolved on and on, and during the entirety of the intro, my body was shaking from the excitement. I belted out a loud and genuine "FUCK YEAH!" as Brad performed his solo riff. Chester's vocals were smooth and one of the best performances I could have asked for. Phoenix and Rob were incredibly strong. Mike rapped Rakim's verse as he ran up and down the stage motioning to the crowd. All in all, the song was a perfect opener to the set.

The opening riffs to "One Step Closer" came up. The crowd went wild as expected. As I mentioned before, I don't care too much about pre-Minutes material, but the crowd made it so easy to have a great time during the song. I knew every word, regardless, so I still would have had fun with the song, but the energy from the people around me was insane. Grown adults were cheering for the song like they were my age. It was a load of fun. A great head banger track.

The next song. "Blackout". I should mention, before driving to the venue, I had no idea of what songs were going to be played from ATS, my favorite album. My jaw dropped when I heard the opening keys to Blackout. It lead beautifully into the intro of "Papercut", which had an even larger reaction than the previous "One Step Closer". The chorus and bridge were absolute highlights.

The live debut of "Rebellion" hit hard. The moment I heard the slow opening riff, I knew they were in it all the way. Brad showed off his SOAD guitar-playing skills and performed Daron Malakian's riffs without a hitch. Mike and Chester's vocals were solid as ever. It's a very interesting song, live. It's energetic enough to get the crowd going, but at the same time, somewhat of a serious song. Chester's bridge sounded fantastic. His vocals sounded... healthy, as opposed to some forced-sounded screaming he's done in other performances. A great song played very well by the band.

"Blackout" had already poked at my excitement of hearing ATS material live. When "Robot Boy"'s piano started, my jaw hit the floor. It was just an intro, but it was so enjoyable, as a fan, to hear the song played. At least partially, anyways. The intro lead into an unexpected Mr. Hahn performance. Hugely enjoyable. He mixed quite a few samples across just about every Linkin Park album. The stage's set up supported the act very well. The visuals were minimal but just enough to support what was happening musically.

"Burn It Down" came out of no where. It's a song that, to me, I've buried somewhere in the back of my mind. When the synths started up, I immediately set my expectations for Chester somewhat low, as hearing performances of the song, he never quite hit the notes as they were on studio. The verse began and Chester handled it surprisingly well. My expectation was still that the chorus would sound only as good or inferior, and when the famous "we're building it up" line hit, he proved me wrong. The high notes soared beautifully and without the "we're building it eeeeerrrppp" from most performances. I don't quite remember Mike's rap, so I'll say it wasn't that memorable... But overall, the song was very enjoyable.

"THIS IS SOMETHING FOR YA PEOPLE ON THE BLOCK TA, TA BLACK OUT AND ROCK TA" rapped over "Waiting For The End"'s intro got the crowd (and myself) going. Mike did really well, and kept a strong swagger over the whole verse. It's one of my favorite Linkin Park songs, and the band absolutely gave it another reason to stay as my favorite. The outro was fun and worked well.

The song I had hoped would be played: "Final Masquerade". Hands down, the highlight of the show, tied with another song I'll mention in a moment. Chester hit the emotion and rawness of his performance as closely as he could to the studio track. The part that really got me was the chorus. Fog slowly made the stage hard to see, as Chester sang "WITH SHADOWS FLOATING OVER / THE SKIES BEGIN TO FADE". As he gave his last few lines, the lights whitened the fog, obstructing the band from view, and as Rob's drumming lead into the instrumental post-chorus, the fog started to fade and the lights brought the band back into view. It was a great touch to an already killer performance by the band. Brad's solo was highly memorable.

This next bit was very fun to watch. Mike performed "Wretches and Kings" via a touch pad, remixing the song as he went. Hahn picks it up and starts adding in elements of "Skin To Bone" as Mike raps the Fort Minor track "Remember The Name" and his verse from the RECHARGED remix of "Skin To Bone". "YOU'RE AS SOFT AS A MOTHERFUCKIN' NEW BORN KITTEN".

This is the song that was on par with "Final Masquerade" as my favorite moment... "Numb" ._. Yep. You read that right. Coming from the guy who started the review saying he didn't care for "Meteora" material, fucking Numb was one of my favorite moments. It's a hell of a lot of fun to sing to, and the crowd's enthusiasm with the song made the angst-y song really enjoyable. Chester singing "AND I KNOW / YOU WERE JUST LIKE ME WITH SOMEONE DISAPPOINTED IN YOU" came off cheese-y as hell from a 40-something year old with an injured back, but you know what? Fucking sang every word. Couldn't have asked for a more fun song.

"In The End". Right after the crowd went wild for "Numb" they lost it with this song. It was easy to love it. Chester provoking the audience to sing along the whole way made the song for me. Hell, even Mike's rapping was pretty solid.

Everyone knows the intro to "Faint". The screams that came from the crowd were great. Again, Mike just did a great job with keeping his rapping sounding good and keeping the crowd excited. "I WON'T BE IGNORED" was always a fun line to sing.

Encore break. The band came back, started to play something, then Mike stopped the song saying "Uhm, I'm going to need a guitar for this". They started the song back up, and when I heard that draining noise of "Crawling", my first reaction was "well fuck that". Still, hugely enjoyable between the crowd's energy and the band's performance. Mike's rap over the outro was solid as well.

I liked "Until It's Gone", live, far more than I do the studio recording. Good song, nothing too much to say about it

Oh, the funniest thing that happened during the show, was during "What I've Done". Solid performance overall, enjoyed it and all that. But Brad's solo- he solo'd pretty well, actually. The crowd was super happy with it and I think he did really well. The thing that got me was as he played his last notes, he looked up, spit on the ground and gave this face, like, "that's what the fuck's up, m8". It was brilliant

Aaaaaand the final song. Bleed It out was a perfect end to the set. High energy throughout. "The Catalyst"'s, "LIFT ME UP / LET ME GO" was a nice surprise when it was sang over the bridge. Rob's drum solo was satisfying and really well done. He was able to highlight his skill while keeping it oraganized and structured in a really nice way.

---

So, this is my first review, when I got home and just wrote. It's unorganized, but my genuine fan boy reaction to the concert, so for that I'll leave it here.

DAYUM. They blew me away. Started off with The Requiem as the band walked on stage, and wow, the hype. Then GATS. And DAMN. I lost it, I was shaking from excitement the whole fucking intro. THEN PAPERCUT YOOOOOOOOOO. I DON'T EVEN CARE FOR THAT SONG BUT THE FUCKING ENERGY. Then Rebellion debuted and WUT THE FUCK MAN. Oh, and when Robot Boy's intro played, my jaw dropped. It was so great. It lead into (I think) Until It's Gone and that song was surprisingly better live. Chester's performance was top. Burn It Down came out of fucking no where and I lost it again. Chester actually fucking hit the UUUUUPPP really well, as opposed to "WE'RE BUILDING IT EERRRRP", and it sounded glorious. Then it was Waiting For The End. Fucking beautiful. Mike and Chester did that thing where they sing next to each other while standing as close as possible to the crowd :wub:. Final fucking Masquerade, yo. Chester wasn't perfect, but he did it really well. As the chorus went on, fog machines made the stage cloudy until the ending chorus lines where you couldn't see the band. The drums hit after Chester finished and the fog began disappearing so perfectly. That was a moment I won't forget. Fucking beautiful. I was recording it on my phone and stopped recording because I just wanted to fucking watch the show haha. After that, a sweet STB/Hahn thing/Remember The Name/I think Encore/Numb. Good stuff all around. Enjoyed the fuck out of Numb, honestly. I think that was the song my voice started to go lol. My friend was about as pumped as I was for that song, and I think it got the best reaction from him....... Until, In the End. Right after Numb, when everyone had just gone crazy, the crowd went even harder with In The End, especially since there are parts where Chester provokes the crowd to constantly participate. Then it was Faint, and Mike just killed it. He had a really great energy overall, and I think Chester found a balance between going hard and not fucking up his throat every show. Finally, the second to last song: What I've Done. I enjoyed it as much as I could. Fucking Brad though... He did a new solo, and did pretty decently. He played his last notes, and while the cameras were still on his face, he spits on the ground and looks up like "yeah, what the fuck's up, m8" :rofl:. Aaaaaaaaand the conclusion! Bleed It Out. Really energetic. Loved that they sang "Lift Me Up, Let Me Go" from The Catalyst over the bridge. Rob's solo though, fucking top. It really felt structured in a good way, not just drumming loud and fast

Few notes: The screens on stage were fucking perfect. They had independent shots from the screens on the sides of the stage, and had a mixture of awesome graphics and really close up shots of the band. Really well used.

Mike really gave it his all. He's a great rapper live. Chester also was significantly better than recordings I've heard him in, as I mentioned a few times above. Phoenix was really cool to watch.

Between 30 Seconds To Mars set and Linkin Park's, there was about an hour wait. It was pretty ridiculous, but it made that moment where the lights turned off and The Requiem begin that much more exciting. Mike was really nice about it, and told us after finishing GATS, something along the lines of, "Sorry about that wait, but I'm glad you guys were so great about it and now the wait is up and we're ready to play some fucking music". Before Final Masquerade, I think, Chester also mentioned "Yeah, sorry for taking so long to get out here, we had some issues but there's no need to bore you guys with the little details. The point is we're here and so thankful to play in front of a crowd that's so great"

I believe the set list was something along the lines of this. I'm not 100% sure and didn't take notes throughout the show, but, it's as much as I could gather from memory and videos I took.

The Requiem / Guilty All The Same
    One Step Closer
    Blackout Intro + Papercut
    Rebellion
    Robot Boy/Hahn Solo
    Burn It Down
    Waiting For The End (Apaches Intro)
    Final Masquerade (Verses 1 and 2 combined)
    Skin To Bone Intro + Remember The Name Rap
    Encore / Numb
    In The End
    Faint (Extended Intro)
    --Encore Break--
    Crawling
    Until It's Gone
    What I've Done
    Bleed It Out (The Catalyst "Let It Go" over bridge, Rob Solo)

Wastelands and New Divide were not in the set list, surprisingly (and thankfully). Overall, I really enjoyed the setlist. It was a perfect combination of energy, new material, old material and new stuff in between. I don't personally care for pre-MTM stuff as much as some, but when Numb came on I fucking lost my shit. That was so much fun.

Pics and Videos

REBELLIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON DEBUT
    [video=youtube;snVKmBx1VOo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snVKmBx1VOo[/video]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

What happened with The Mall announcement?

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I like the medley.. Maybe I've been living under a rock or something, but I haven't seen many complaints about it.

Chester just tweeted this:
    Some people are saying he hurt his back. I guess this is why they were late and why he didn't move around a lot.

Good to see you had such a great time RyRy!

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

There was no "announcement"; there was an extended preview which was screened during the changeover after 30 Seconds To Mars' set, I believe.

In any case, it was clearly a matter of health. We know that much.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Info courtesy of LPA and LPL user Soul :)

Date: August 8, 2014
    Venue: Cruzan Amphitheatre
    Tour: Carnivores Tour

Other Bands: 30 Seconds To Mars, AFI
    Show #1 of 25

SETLIST:
    1. Session/The Requiem/Guilty All The Same/The Catalyst (Mashup Intro)
    2. Guilty All The Same
    3. One Step Closer (Ext. Outro)
    4. Blackout (Shortened (Intro and Partial Outro Instrumental Only); Ext. Papercut Beat Outro Transition)
    5. Papercut (Shortened (No Second Verse or Second Chorus))
    6. Rebellion
    7. Robot Boy (Shortened (Intro, Synth Bridge, and Ending Instrumental Only))
    8. Joe Solo Medley (w/ Wretches And Kings, Victimized Remix, Buy Myself, Cure For The Itch, Session, Plc.4 Mie Hæd)
    9. Burn It Down
    10. Waiting For The End (Apaches Intro w/ 'Until It Breaks' Verse 2; Wall Of Noise Outro)
    11. Final Masquerade
    12. Mike Solo Medley (w/ Joe) (w/ Wretches And Kings, Remember The Name, Skin To Bone Remix; Ext. Outro Transition)
    13. Numb (Numb/Encore Intro/Outro + Verse 1 Guitar)
    14. In The End
    15. Faint (Ext. Outro)
    ----------------------------------------------------
    16. Crawling (Shortened (No Second Verse and Second Chorus); Outro w/ With You Verse 1)
    17. Until It's Gone (Shortened (No Second Verse and Second Chorus))
    18. What I've Done (Short Ticking Intro; Ext. Guitar Solo Bridge)
    19. Bleed It Out (Ext. Intro; Ext. Bridge w/ Drum Solo + The Catalyst Refrain; Ext. Ending)

Show Notes:
    - The band played an abbreviated setlist due to the show starting very late.
    - Joe's solo portion of the show featured parts of 'Wretches And Kings', the 'Victimized' M. Shinoda remix from Recharged, 'Session', 'Buy Myself' (Marilyn Manson Remix), 'Cure For the Itch', and 'Plc.4 Mie Haed' from Reanimation.
    - Mike's solo portion of the show featured the first verse of 'Wretches And Kings', a sped up chorus of 'Remember The Name' (by Fort Minor), and Mike's verse from the 'Skin To Bone' Nick Catchdubs remix from Recharged. The instrumental of the medley incorporated part of 'Wretches And Kings', part of the 'Skin To Bone' remix, part of 'Remember The Name', and part of 'In My Remains'.
    - Before the band went offstage after 'Faint', the samples for the 'Until It's Gone' extended intro played briefly.
    - Chester came out onstage during the encore break to apologize for being very late. He didn't say why there was such a big delay, but said it was for a "good reason."
    - For the first time on the tour outside of Download, Crawling was performed at its regular tempo. Mike rapped the first verse of 'With You' over the instrumental outro.
    - During the bridge of 'Bleed It Out', Rob performed a drum solo before the band sang a refrain from 'The Catalyst'.
    - By the end of the show, Chester had hurt his foot. Mike and Jim Digby helped him walk across the stage after 'Bleed It Out'.

Other Notes:

- The show was sold out.
    - The band was over 40 minutes late. As a result, the setlist was shortened due to a 11:00PM curfew.
    - Trailers for Joe's movie, "The Mall" was shown on the screens before the show, featuring previously unreleased songs from the movie, as well as one of the songs we'd previously heard, known as 'Warm Spell'.

Oh god, not again. The Chester curse has returned D:

(The Living Things tour managed to survive without this curse)

Filip

Anyone has a video of Crawling? Apparently Chester ''looked like he was gonna cry''.

Twisted Smage

Twisted Smage The hardest part of ending is starting again.

I thought 30STM was supposed to play a full set as well but they only played 11 songs? Also, still not digging the shorten version of songs like Papercut and Until its Gone. No A Place for my Head or By Myself :(

minuteforce

Oh? Yeah, I thought that they were co-headliners alongside LP

Twisted Smage

Twisted Smage The hardest part of ending is starting again.

Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

#PrayForChaz

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Hope Chester gets better. Also curious about the full setlist, I really hope they didn't drop Lost in the Echo entirely.

Søuł

Søuł As rogue as they come

Cool review. I'm a 30STM fanboy but I'll let your reviews go, since that's not what I want to discuss. For the record, there is a bassist on stage, he's just tucked away behind the drums because he's not an official member of the band, he's a touring member. I guess it depends on your position in the venue to see them.

I apologize if this sounds rude in any way, but I feel like your review is somewhat kissing LP's behind. No disrespect meant, as it's all opinion, but I mean, this was a pretty underwhelming set. They had many issues throughout the set, and this wasn't a full set due to the delay, and I feel they did very well improvising with their time. They even accepted the fine for going over curfew to deliver the best show they could, mad respect to them.
    On a production point, the full set they're going to play (see the Private Production Rehearsal setlist) is awful. It's all over the place, and the shortened songs aren't helping it. For fuck's sake, they're playing a shortened version of the LEAD SINGLE from their NEWEST ALBUM. Does anyone else see anything wrong with that?
    Again, I respect your opinion. But there's mine.

The Joesen One: Thanks for citing me haha. I usually do that here as well but I got promoted to admin on LPL and I've been a bit busy to post it here

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

I did see the bassist once. He was dressed in really plain clothing, like the tech guys on the side of the stage. Still, I find it odd that he had such a small portion of the stage as well as behind something. It just strengthens my point about it being less of "30 Seconds To Mars" and more "The Jared Leto Show".

No offense taken.

It was a great show. You wouldn't know that if you're judging the show based on what's on paper and especially if you weren't there. I don't mean to sound entitled, but seriously? You're judging the show without the full picture. It's not just about how much they played and for how long they did.

Søuł

I understand the experience is always 100% better than what's on paper. I'm judging based off what they're capable of. I understand their objective: play as much as possible within the given time. I respect that they're trying to get as much out as possible, but there's better ways of doing it. Additionally, this tour is titled the "Carnivores Tour". Why play the heaviest song (i.e. Papercut, With You, Runaway, LITE) shortened yet keep the more radio-friendly singles (i.e. Numb, BID) full? I get that those are the songs that the crowds are going to react more to those songs, but they're not living up to everything they've said. Just an opinion, I understand it won't be shared by many here.

I'm going to both Holmdel and Camden, I'm excited as hell to see my two favorite bands tour together. But I only wish LP had a better structured set. If there weren't so much shortening of songs it would of been fine.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

minuteforce

Filip

And in this thread, we have a Linkin Park and Thirty Seconds To Mars fan complaining about Linkin Park's set on The Carnivores tour.

:sheldon:

Søuł

Hey, I've complained about 30STM's set way too many times. They're basically playing the same shit they did in September. At least yesterday in Tampa they started switching things up. I've lost hope with 30STM setlists, that's why I'm talking about LP :p