"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. The Free Element

The Free Element Well-Known Member

I think that adding some screams doesn't make an electronic song suddendly rock-y. Still,no trance of real guitars in LT. But you're right,we are going off topic.

2. Paree

Paree I love my scars!

I think its time for next for song.Yeah even i think the discussion is going off topic.
    Somewhere i belong is one of my top 10 songs and second favorite from meteora.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2016
  3. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Lemme go against everyone. The intro synth (backwards guitar, isn't it?) is super cool. That riff, as uncreative it is, is fun to listen to and play. Next up, the instrumental behind Mike's verse is great. Simple drums line, nice ringing guitar, nice bass... The scratching Hahn does definitely adds to the atmosphere. The piano kicks in quite nicely. It's a lazy written verse, but whatever. The instrumental in the chorus is classic Linkin Park. Just letting powerchords ring, but it's enjoyable. We can complain about how bad ''I wanna heal/I wanna feel'' is all day, but if you get beyond that... quite a nice track. Plus the delivery and the way he sings it isn't bad at all. The breakdown is more than enjoyable, and the track ends big style. Upon first listen, I loved this song, then the LPA kinda ruined it for me, pointing out how horribad the lyrics are, but now that I can actually form my own opinion... I think it's a great track.

Michele likes this.
  4. The Free Element

The Free Element Well-Known Member

^this

5. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

Somewhere I Belong is a good song. It's not a poor song, but it's not a GREAT song. Should never have been the lead single for Meteora IMO

6. Paree

Paree I love my scars!

^Which should have been the lead single IYO? IMO it should have been Faint.It makes me to bang my head and makes me to jump up.

7. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

Tbh the lead single should be the one which is going to be the most commercially popular, to gather more interest in the album from people who weren't originally going to buy it. In terms of mixing mainstream popularity with 'the trademark LP sound', Numb at the time would've been the perfect choice IMO

But then again who am I to tell one of the most successful bands in the world what to do!!!

8. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Exactly what Filip said. Though most people on here hate Somewhere I Belong, it's probably one of my favorites from Meteora.

Captain-EO likes this.
  9. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Musically, "Somewhere I Belong" is awesome. I love the guitar parts and scratches, especially the parts in the bridge.

Lyrically, though...:p

10. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Oh, and one more thing I forgot to mention. Though I do like the original, I feel bad they reworked the guitars from Pretty Birdy. The guitars were much more psychotic and bouncy. Feel like it would bring the track so much more love, and it'd be more fun. We need a mash up. Just remove the original intro and chorus guitars.

11. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Wow I've missed quite a few songs here.. Well about SIB, only thing I can say is I like the video and it was the first single I actually "looked for" pre-release because I became fan of LP when HT was already out. I remember recording the Making of the Video on MTV, that show was very cool because it showed you how things were done and how hard people worked into making music videos.. Now despite still existing, MVs are not as relevant as a promotional instrument.

I have to say that although I do not hate SIB or any LP song for that matter, SIB like ITE is a song that I volutarily don't play. I just let it pop up during random playlists or full album plays.

12. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

SIB is a very good example of the group dynamic in both production and performance by the band. At the time, it was a great example of a song to use to introduce someone to the band (now they have gone in so many different directions that it's hard to find their most centralized tracks).

A few months ago, Someone linked to the thread for initial reactions the day SIB premiered, and just about all of the LPA loved it, so I don't see what made that wear off. I still love the song mainly for the reasons I stated above.

13. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Pretty Birdy >>>>>>>>>>>> Somewhere I Belong

14. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

SIB is one of the few old LP songs where I actually have a (small) problem with the lyrics, along with Runaway or Nobody's listening. I mean, I'm really not a person who usually pays a lot of attention to lyrics. But in this case, I have to admit the chorus lines are, well, childish.

That said, I still really like the overal sound of the song, and especially the way the instrumental in the verses was put together - it has that big vibe. The sampled intro is also pretty fucking cool, and so is the chord progression in the bridge. As far as the vocal departement is concerned, I'll add a good point for those long sustained sung-screamed notes at the end, which I have always enjoyed.

All in all, not a favorite of mine, but I enjoy it nevertheles.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  15. Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

SIB is awesomeness encompassed in 3:33.

16. The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

Truth.

17. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

thanks for keeping this going guys, i've been really busy.

18. Shining

Shining New Member

"Somewhere I Belong" my most favorite song of all times!!!
    The whole lyrics connect with my life, my past and my present....
    This is the song that got me into listening Linkin Park, when I first heard the song I was a child around on the age of 5.... really the song that heal all my wound when I'm sad...
    For me this is a special and the best song of all times and my favorite one (yeah, even better that the songs made by other artists!!)
    (Because I was always searching for a place to fit in also....)

I got really sad when I saw that this song is not on their current set lists....

19. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I love the instrumental, I like the verses, I don't mind the chorus and the bridge. Decent lead single for Meteora.

20. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

So I say again that I was a big, big fan of "Hybrid Theory" during the early 2000s. Loved it to death. One day, maybe in 2002 or something, someone told me of a rumour that Linkin Park had broken up due to tensions between "the two singers". I had no way to prove or disprove this and I wasn't a hard person to convince but I remember not giving a shit because I still had "Hybrid Theory" and that was all that I cared about. This is really just to say that I never really considered the idea of a second Linkin Park album at that time.

Some time in early 2003, I was listening to the radio one afternoon when the host of that particular program suddenly mentioned that a new Linkin Park album was coming and he gave the title and I honestly didn't remember what it was afterwards. Then, he put on the lead single from the album, and I remember thinking to myself "this song is just as good as all those 'Hybrid Theory' songs that I love" and being really excited. In those few minutes, I learned that there was a new album and, then, heard the new single. Over the course of the next month or so, leading up to the release of the album, I heard the song every now and again. I quite liked it. Later on, one morning, I turned on the TV to watch "Video Hits" or whatever and I heard the song and saw its video right there and then.

When I first got my copy of "Meteora", I skipped straight to "Somewhere I Belong" and put it on repeat for a long time. I heard the whole intro for the first time; radio and music video programs always started the song after the distorted guitars kick in. Up until that point, I had pretty much never been excited to get my hands on an album in my life.

"Meteora" actually sounds fairly different to "Hybrid Theory" in a myriad of subtle ways. Overall, the production and mixing eschew some of the rawness and grit of "Hybrid Theory" in favour of a sound that feels newer, cleaner and shinier, for lack of better descriptors. You can feel the confidence that the band had developed about their sound in the wake of their successful debut album. "Somewhere I Belong" encapsulates this for me. There's a sense of largeness in the song's sound that, to me, is largely absent from "Hybrid Theory" (save for maybe "In The End"). The mix of the drums, bass, guitar line, scratching and reversed sample loop during the verse sections is big and full-sounding. The chorus feels that little bit more widescreen than anything that had come before. It's the same kind of sound that defines "Hybrid Theory" but taken to a new level thanks to better studio resources than they had the first time.

The lyrics aren't really that different thematically compared to the lyrics that were found on "Hybrid Theory". There are hints of optimism on that album too, on songs like "With You" and "Runaway" (if you interpret it in a certain way) but "Somewhere I Belong" and "Breaking The Habit" do take the more optimistic elements further than before.

My feelings about "Somewhere I Belong" have changed greatly over the course of a decade. I don't dislike it as much as I like "Don't Stay" but it's in my bottom-ten, and it's definitely one of my least-favourites on the album. The things that I really dislike about it are the lyrics and vocal melodies in the chorus, which make me cringe that tiny little bit; and, after that, I don't like the vocals in the outro because that sustained "beloooong" over and over again grates at me.

EDIT: oh, and the video - I like Shinoda's scenes in front of the waterfall (which eventually turns into a wall of flames) and the audience of cigarette-addicted drones. The other scenes, I don't really care for.