A Thousand Suns General Discussion

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Jaba, Aug 13, 2014.

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

He must be the one shooting down airplanes! :eek:

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

"A Thousand Suns General Discussion"? More like "A Thousand Suns Appreciation Thread". [EDIT: Okay, maybe not.]

That's the approach they took with Minutes to Midnight, too, and it resulted in my two favorite Linkin Park albums.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

WTCFM, Blackout, The Catalyst and Waiting For The End all belong to my favorite LP songs. Robot Boy and Burning In The Skies are pretty cool too, and Jornada + The Requiem are amazing interludes.

Actually, if all of the album had clicked with me as much the above stuff, it would maybe be my favorite from the band.

On a side note, I think the whole "ATS experience" thing has always been over-exaggerated. In my opinion, the record doesn't flow that good, safe for the 3 first tracks and the segue from Robot Boy to Blackout. Especially, I find the transition from WTCFM to Robot Boy pretty bad, and Blackout -> WAK -> WJL is also a no-no for me.

lime treacle

That might be the best transition on the whole record. According to some interpretations, the two songs share a lyrical theme. Plus, the fact that "Robot Boy" is a completely different musically makes it even more intriguing.

The Free Element

The Free Element Well-Known Member

It's Linkin Park at their best. Simple as that.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Whaaat? Robot Boy is about war, love and stuff, and WTCFM is another song with Mike's lyrics about nothing. Especially the chorus.

lime treacle

:huh: I wouldn't be so sure about that...

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Favorite LP Album , also after THP released. I just love the mood in this songs. Its more like "come down , relax and some kind of apocalyptic". Not like HT and Meteora which mood is for me like "SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO ME. I AM A DEPRESSING TEEN WHO WANTS TO BE HEARED." Not that this is bad, i like to listen to this kind of songs sometimes, but its more depressing than relaxing to me...

ATS brings me down and makes me dreamy. If the worlds would end, this would be the record i would listen at the last :lol:

TheZlajaZlo

Well it aint about war, that's for sure.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Why does it have to actually be about "war"? "A Thousand Suns" isn't really a concept album about war; war is just one broad theme out of several that can be found within the album's lyrics, and, more often than not, it's used as a recurring metaphor representing other things.

There are militaristic elements in "When They Come For Me", in the beats and in the general vibe. It might not be a meditation on violence going on in the world, but it could be read as a condemnation of critics (and fans) who say that Linkin Park should stick to nu-metal and nothing else. "A Thousand Suns" is effectively the band battling to not be pigeon-holed. There's your war.

This is why the band stressed during that rollout that, while it might come off as one, "A Thousand Suns" isn't actually a concept album.

The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

One of my favourite albums. Wisdom, Justice and Love gives me chills.

TheZlajaZlo

Well some lines in Robot Boy are clearly about war and fighting, but you can interpret them as you want them. But lyrically, WTCFM, has nothing in common with Robot Boy IMO.

minuteforce

Not everything on the album is "clearly" about war. To me, "fight" is used metaphorically in that song.

One of the things that I like about "A Thousand Suns" is that, from a songwriting standpoint, there are all kind of songs on it that all go in different directions musically and, sometimes, lyrically. The songs aren't bound to any one idea; the band said that there were just vague thematic links that could be noticed when you sequenced and interpreted the songs in a certain way.

Other Linkin Park albums have a similar quality, where songs that are polar opposites are placed right next to each other and it just works.

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

I never thought Robot Boy was about war either. I thought the fight meant support or sacrifice for someone else.

I think ATS is their best album. Nothing tops the Jornada del Muerto- Waiting for the End- Blackout- Wretches and Kings- Wisdom, Justice and Love transition for me. I think ATS and the THP are the band's best albums because they bring a new element to the table. LP might just be an okay band but the variety they bring with each album is what actually makes excited and not get bored of the band.

lime treacle

As Tony said, WTCFM is a condemnation of critics (and fans) who say that Linkin Park should stick to nu-metal and nothing else, and then you have "Robot Boy" which can be interpreted as being about a character who is one of these people. By the way, it has never, ever even occured to me RB could be about war.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

A Thousand Suns is such a brilliant album and an experience to behold because it exudes nothing but confidence. Even though the band is diving into cosmically experimental territory for themselves, there's never a moment on the record where the passion for the music isn't felt at 100%.

minuteforce

Well, to me, the message of the song is "stop being a self-defeating little bitch and acting like your circumstances are beyond your control when they're not" :)