Politics

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Reed To Black, Aug 29, 2014.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

I already know who I want to become president in 2016. Ben Carson. I will let this video do the talking:

[video=youtube_share;PFb6NU1giRA]http://youtu.be/PFb6NU1giRA[/video]

Feel free to discuss other politics in here, but I think this speech hits the nail on the head.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

The main reason Politik is one of my favorite Coldplay songs is for just how different the track is from the rest of the Coldplay catalogue. The main reason for this is just how dynamic the track is. It is the opener of Coldplay's sophomore album ''A Rush of Blood To The Head'', and is one of the key tracks in the Coldplay discography. After a few seconds of a very quiet synth, Jonny Buckland's incredible C7-Fm kicks in, repeating twice, before going into a slow, piano driven Chris Martin verse, opening the album with "look at Earth from outer space...". After the verse, the chorus kicks in, with Buckland repeating the two chords from the beginning, followed by an ear raping bassline from Guy Berryman and loud, thumping drums from Will Champion. "Open up your eyes...", Martin yells in the super loud chorus. A second verse, similar to the first appears next in the song, before going into the chorus again. After the second chorus, Martin quietly sings "but give me love over, love over, love over this, our love..." before going into a trademark, high pitched Jonny Buckland solo. It is truly something to wait for in the song. What truly makes this song so good is the incredible, is how dynamic it is. Constantly switching from the slow verses, to the loud, fast chorus, to the mid-tempo solo is an incredible way to open an incredible album. For the enjoyment of all, I will leave you with the lyrics below.

Coldplay
    POLITIK
    A Rush of Blood To The Head
    Berryman, Buckland, Champion, Martin

Look at earth from outer space
    Everyone must find a place
    Give me time and give me space
    Give me real, don't give me fake
    Give me strength, reserve control
    Give me heart and give me soul
    Give me time, give us a kiss
    Tell me your own politik

Open up your eyes
    Open up your eyes
    Open up your eyes
    Just open up your eyes

Give me one, cause one is best
    In confusion, confidence
    Give me piece of mind and trust
    Don't forget the rest of us

Give me strength, reserve control
    Give me heart and give me soul
    Wounds that heal and cracks that fix
    Tell me your own politik

Open up your eyes
    Open up your eyes
    Open up your eyes
    Just open up your eyes

And give me love over, love over, love over this, ahhh
    And give me love over, love over, love over this, ahhh​

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I could do without all the preaching...

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Ben Carson is batshit insane just like all the other Republicans.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

This. I don't need that in my life.

lime treacle

Sure I'm not for Republicans, but what exactly has Benjamin Carson done to earn the title of "batshit insane"?

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Politics is such a broad topic to discuss in one thread. It'd be nice to have a more focused discussion on a particular area of politics. Are you talking about politics within the United States? Politics around the world? Local or state government?

It'd be nice to have that, just because the responses you're going to get will largely fall in the "I hate politics" pit.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Ben Carson groups gays in with people who fuck animals and NAMBLA:
    Ben Carson says Obamacare is worst thing since slavery"
    Ben Carson says the U.S. is like Nazi Germany:
    Ben Carson rejects the theory of Evolution despite overwhelming scientific evidence in support of it, instead supports the theory that an invisible man in the sky waved a magic wand and created everything:

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I'm more concerned by the fact that the National Prayer Breakfast is an actual thing attended by the president.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Why must Republicans always want to bring religion into politics? :facepalm: If they had their way, we'd currently be living in a Christian Theocracy. Most Republican politicians ARE bat-shit insane.

The mere thought of Sarah Palin potentially running in 2016 irks me to my core. I'm pretty sure Ted Cruz wil try to run too, but he's way too much of an extremist to every have a chance. (HOORAY!)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    lime treacle

Fair enough. :lol: Thanks for bothering to gather the quotes.

Because they're Republicans?

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

You know what dude? No Republican candidate really scares me any more (although last election I was fucking terrified at the thought that Rick Santorum might have a shot). I honestly believe the Republican party is dying. There is a great quote from Henry Rollins that basically says the kids that are now of age to vote aren't going to buy into their homophobic, sexist, and racist agenda. The further they go along without major platform changes, the more obsolete they become. I think we're a more liberal country everyday. We're two generations away from a dead Republican party. With equality in every form becoming widely accepted, they become the minority. They can't be the party of illogic and continue to be serious contenders.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Maybe. It's been predicted that at about 2023, Texas will become a Democratic state. It won't happen everywhere, but it might be widespread. More and more young people now are Liberal, like you said.

And on the Republican Party, they will no doubt die out in the next decade or so. Even if they do, The TEA Party will probably become a Official Party and replace them, which admittedly, wouldn't be so bad, since they tend to focus on economic issues rather than social issues.

lime treacle

I'll drink to that.

RazorEye

RazorEye The light on the horizon...

This thread should be renamed "American Politics" :lol:

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Agreed

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

John Key won the election in NZ with a near complete and total majority under an MMP system. Labour and everyone else were crushed. And I just don't understand. Key is a scumbag. The local news is loving it, too. Very pro-government. And they're anti-all-opposition without any real good reason. Everything the government does wrong is swept quickly under the rug yet the opposition's mistakes are harped on for weeks on end. During an election campaign they only saw fit to report on National's policies and their responses to all of the drama coming out about them on the news. Logically, the National party should be the one that's in chaos, not Labour, but no. The media just keeps propping them up and only puts pressure on the opposition. And it's pissing me off. To the point where I wonder how much the National party is paying to keep the heat on others and off of them. You know, those of you who watched that Last Week Tonight bit a couple weeks ago about how Eminem sued the National party? The local news only reported on the "New Zealanders have a funny accent!" joke and left out the bit that was critical of the way the government was handling the issue. All for their "Haha, man, our election sure was fucking bonkers, right guys?" mantra.

It boggles my fucking mind that the guy is still as popular as he is. It would take a video of him punching a kitten in order to make his popularity drop. His scummy behaviour behind the scenes apparently doesn't matter to the NZ public. And even then the media would probably say "Well, it was probably the kitten's fault..."

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I support the 2nd amendment. That is all I have to say.