Living Things: A Review

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Aden, Sep 18, 2014.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

To be fair, the title is a little misleading. You are perfectly entitled to your own opinions as is everyone, but at the same time this isn't much of a review. It's a complaint. Granted, that is fine, and you can complain about music as much as you want - but it does get a little hard to read when it's as disjointed and contradictory as this was. Your point was made, but at the same time your primary critique was how generic pop-rock this album sounded to you. Certainly, it's a valid complaint - but then some of the songs you select as the album's low-points are hardly generic pop-rock. I don't think you'll *ever* find a song like "VICTIMIZED" or "UNTIL IT BREAKS" on pop-rock radio. The song structure in both of those songs is fairly unconventional, and I mean, generic pop-rock doesn't ever really have rap and screaming in it - especially in the same song. I'm not saying you shouldn't dislike them, it's okay that you do. I just think you ought to consider framing your critiques more carefully before unleashing them and categorizing them as a review. I would also consider reviewing your grammar and spelling, just because it becomes a bit hard to read at times.

I know that sounds harsh, but I am genuinely trying to see where you're coming from and it's a little hard admittedly.

Well done. :lol:

Easy there. Everyone is allowed to have their opinions. You're not implying that there's not a single album in this world you dislike or hate, right? Aden's issues with the album, albeit a bit disjointed, are still valid regardless of how you feel. You're more than welcome to enjoy or dislike whatever music you please, but so is everyone. Consider also that the rules on these boards state that we must respect one another's music tastes. Consider revisiting them.

It is okay to be critical of Aden's opinions - disagreeing is fine. Aden doesn't like the album and that's fine, and you don't have to agree either. You may not like Aden's rant at all, which is okay. Opinions are opinions though, and we here at the LPA like to think that we have a diverse community with an array of opinions that are mutually respected.

Aden

Aden Well-Known Member

First off, I know I'm mediocre at writing, I just wanted to let off some steam. Maybe it would have been better had I called it a rant.

I also wanna say that I'm not criticizing UIB and Victimized for being generic, I'm criticizing them for being bad. I think that a lot of Living Things is a generic forgettable mess, like Burn It Down, parts of Lost in the Echo, and Lies Greed Misery (no matter how heavy it is, it's still generic), and then I think UIB is just a big WTF moment. I get what they were trying to do with Victimized, but it sounds rather amatuer.

Joshua

Joshua is Mr. "to many Mind"

I agree what Louis has said. But - concerning "Until It Breaks" - i think, the reason, why he don't like that song is, because it's a "mess", where nothing fits together and not because it is hardly generic. In this point, i can't see a contradiction in his statement.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I stopped at that precise point as well :lol:

Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

But why do you think they are bad?

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

UIB is a grower though. As you adjust to it, you start loving it.

...and then there's the awkward two month period of being obsessed with it. :rolleyes:

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

^I'm pretty sure "UNTIL IT BREAKS" blew my mind right off the bat.

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

The only thing I dislike about Living Things is the people that type the track titles in all capitals :isee:

minuteforce

I liked "Until It Breaks" a lot before I heard it, in a way, 'cause that verse that Shinoda did over the "Waiting For The End" intro had me very hyped :)

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Blah.

Again one of those "LP only make good ballads!!" kind of rant.

I mean, if you describe most of the record as generic, what makes something like Powerless or Roads not generic then? Is it the simple fact that you prefer softer songs?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    Filip

At first, I was let down by the final track as I thought the verse sounded better in that "attack-mode" with the WFTE instrumental.

Haven't heard that version in a while, but I remember it having elements from 99 Problems?

minuteforce

I felt the same way, actually. The WTFE beat drove Shinoda to sound more energetic and more aggressive than he does on the album. And, then, it goes into the WTFE intro which is more of a payoff, in my opinion, than what you get on the studio v. of "Until It Breaks" ... but I love the song just the same.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

I love LIVING THINGS. Only tracks that I typically skip are RU, UIB, and TINFOIL.
    They aren't necessarily bad, but they don't peak my interest.

Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

Tinfoil is an interlude. No need to skip it just to get to Powerless.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

You know what'll make you feel better? Ask me what I think about Meteora.

Filip

Why, dear Coldplay, where do you stand on the classic 2003 release, Meteora?

And while the topic is here, can you offer us, the mortals, an update on that Meteora-related video of yours?

Aden

Aden Well-Known Member

I actually prefer Linkin Park at their heaviest over Linkin Park at their softest. I was just stating that weirdly enough, the only songs that peak my interest on here are Tinfoil/Powerless, and Roads Untraveled. But on MTM for example, I'm like songs like Given Up and No More Sorrow a lot more then tracks like Leave Out All the Rest and In Between.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

My bad, I misread your first post. I though you said the opposite.

Nevertheless, my question is still valid. What makes Powerless or RU any less "generic" than everything else of the record?

limonpower

limonpower Well-Known Member

:trollface:

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I guess you could call Powerless generic. But Roads Untraveled is definitely not generic. It has a unique structure with its 4/8 time signature, plus its great lyrics and vocal performances by Mike and Chester make it far from generic.