The hate for All For Nothing??

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Danimar79, Oct 11, 2014.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

That was my eventual conclusion too. :)

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I couldn't hear Mike's voice UNTIL I heard the acapella. The melody is double-tracked and it's clearly him and Page singing in unison. Not sure which one of them is doing the lower harmony part.

minuteforce

Yeah, opposite for me. I can more than easily convince myself that they're both there in unison when I listen to the full mix :)

limonpower

limonpower Well-Known Member

i really like AFN personally, I dont really mind the You Say part,i actually think its pretty cool!

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I really like "All for nothing". True, the chorus is probably the weakest part, but still, I find it catchy and fun. Both verses are killer in my book.

Mario007

Mario007 Well-Known Member

Man you just reminded me how terrible Mike's verses are in that song.
    Well if we're criticising the lyrics of the chorus than the verses deserve to be torn apart as well. They're absolutely terrible. I mean if "let me break this fucker down for ya, I really don't know ya" is the direction that Mike intends to take his rap lyrics in the future then I'll really hope we'll have more MtM albums with very little rap songs.

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

I really like the force with which Mike raps and the instrumental of the song. Otherwise, I don't really like the lyrics or the vocals. So, all in all, I like the song. It is catchy.

Joshua

Joshua is Mr. "to many Mind"

It's a safer song, but great. Hamilton's vocals are very catchy, but pity that he just repeat his vocals. A little more variety would have been better.

Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

Absolutely.
    I love the guitar solo.
    I think overall Page Hamilton could have sung the chorus a bit better, as there is only really one of his lines that sounds really good, and that's 'And if I sell myself away'.

Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

Who cares about that lyrics? If the rapping sounds good there's nothing wrong with the song.

Mario007

It's not just bad, it's embarrassingly bad. Like if you were listening to it and someone would walk into the room and hear those lyrics they'd laugh bad.

And while you maybe like the melody of rapping only, I prefer to listen to both the sound and the lyrics. Stupid lyrics can destroy a song for me, same as an awful melody can.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

People who care about lyrics.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Sorry Mike, but I can't relate to any of your douchebag, generic, bland rap verses you threw in this album.

As of right now I can't take this album seriously (Assuming that was their goal), I only keep coming back for FM and occasionally KTTK & War to get my dose of Chester screaming into my ears. To me, THP is Meteora levels of cringe. Actually, I'd rather listen to Meteora than THP. At least I can somewhat relate more to "I wanna heal, I wanna feel" over "I'mma five-star general infantry controller". I think I'm just going to stick with MtM, ATS, and LT until their next album comes out. I'll take "Burning in The Skies" and "Castle of Glass" any day over "All for Nothing".

minuteforce

A lot of us do. :)

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Since when does every song lyric in the history of everything have to be something the listener can relate to, lest it suck donkey balls? Newflash: People write songs about things other than you.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

One of my favorites on the album.

I wanna throw my hat into the "generalizing" arena and point out I notice a lot of LPA in general tends to dislike 'traditional' rock type songs, I can see that factoring in quite a bit. I'm not going to accuse everyone of being hipsters, but there does seem to be a weird mindset of every song needing some kind of gimmick or a twist in order to justify itself.

Mario007

Doesn't have to be, but it at least should not cringeworthy. And Mike's raps in this album are, lyrically, among the worst he has made. Step Up, High Voltage, When They Come For Me, Until It Breaks...all have a "I'm awesome so fuck you" sort of vibe and yet they are amazing song with great lyrics. Hell, Petrified is better than all of the raps on THP lyrically. It also feels like a huge blank and bland statement as the raps are about as vague as fuck. I mean compare Rakim's verse with any of Mike's verses and you'll see how hollow they are.

minuteforce

I can mostly empathise with your point of view without any trouble but this, ^ I could never agree with. :rolleyes: Maybe there are one or two "Meteora" raps that I think are worse - can't remember off the top of my head - but, aside from that, the "Petrified" raps are far and away the worst Shinoda has ever written to date, in my opinion.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Do tell.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Funny you keep coming back to one of the most generic song of the album then.

Yeah, I know you were talking about generic rap, but still, in term of generic structures and cliché-sounding track, FM is definitely one of the best contender out of THP.

And the Castle Of Glass/ BITS reference... why? Those and All For Nothing are totally different kind of songs. It´s like comparing apple and peers, which in a sense makes your comment kind of similar to "I prefer apples over peers!". Which is, well, pointless.

I tended to think that way, but I realized there are a lot of rock fans on this forum too. It´s just that there is a vocal minority who´s really not fond of the traditionnal rock sound, to say the least.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014