[Audio] WHITE NOISE (Chester Bennington, Dave Farrell, Joe Hahn, and Mike Shinoda of LINKIN PARK) -

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Oct 17, 2014.

MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

1. Because this isn't technically a Linkin Park song.
    2. Because there's never been a rule that says all 6 members of the band have to be involved in every song. There are plenty of songs on Linkin Park studio albums that had no input from one or more band members (other than to vote in favor of the song being included on the album).

Yes it was. Or at least the vocals were recorded during the THP sessions.

It's been mentioned in literally every official piece of news relating to the Mall soundtrack up to this point that all of the music was done by Mike/Joe/Chester/Phoenix/Alec Puro. His name is in the songwriting credits for this song in the end credits of the movie, he's mentioned in a shitload of interviews about the soundtrack...the news post on LP.com is literally the first time I've seen his name excluded.

The recording sessions for the Mall soundtrack spanned from the fall of 2012 through the end of the THP recording sessions. They worked on it in bits and pieces. A lot of the source material came from older demos (Ammosick is originally from the MTM sessions, Warm Spell is originally from the Living Things sessions, and samples from Luna were included with the LP edition of Stagelight so that one is from Living Things or earlier as well). White Noise was a previously-unknown song that could also come from an old demo, or be something completely new. The lyrics for the song are seen in the studio at 1:43 into this video. So at the very least, the vocals/lyrics for this song were finalized while the band was working on THP.

Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

I really like the song, it's really catchy. I'm pretty excited to hear the rest of the soundtrack.

Josh

Josh Met LP 8-13-14 LPA VIP

B-

It's good but kinda simple. Although Chester sounds better on white noise than any other THP song.

I'd prefer THP, but I will still listen to this

Oh and I hope the rest of the OST releases because the quality of White Noise is actually pretty good

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

What does this song have that the songs on "The Hunting Party" lack, in your opinion? Is it the stronger industrial/punk flavour?

mastae

mastae Some Honky

I enjoyed it. The production seems tighter than on the original we heard.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I dig it.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I haven't read any of the comments, but I opened the thread in order to say that I think this song is good. I only listened to it once and it was through my laptop speakers, so I didn't get to hear the lyrics but I like Chester in this song. I would love to hear Rob play some drums for this track, but I guess it's only a wish.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

You listened to the song on your shitty laptop speakers? That's simply not what the artist intended. :sleep:

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

You honestly just blew my mind.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

The post on LP, YouTube video title, artwork... I don't think he contributed much.

diehardlpfan77

diehardlpfan77 Well-Known Member

i kinda like it better than most songs from thp too.hopefully they will do soundtracks for other movies in the near future.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

+10000

LP basically released some of my favorite songs off their discography this year, and an album that I rank among their 3 bests. Needless to say I´m very happy with this!

About the song, I´ve had it stuck in my head for the whole past day, despite the fact I only listened to it twice. I guess I enjoyed it more than I though :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

Eh, I prefer THP over this. I love the intro and the outro of the song though.

tfae

tfae The Graves Marker

The loop is the best part of this song. Really cool and a bit creepy at the same time.
    I just don't like too much the effects on Chester's voice. I feel the same with THP. It's like he doesn't stand out on the songs like on the previous records.

Overall I give it a 3 out of 5.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I honestly don't comprehend how anyone could say this is better than anything on The Hunting Party. Even Until It's Gone is less repetitive. That's not to say White Noise is bad, it's just not very special either. Probably my least favourite "aggressive" Linkin Park song since the Meteora days.

The music box like sample in the intro/outro is pretty bone-chilling though.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

A number of things really. Chester's singing in contrast with his screaming in the song is awesome. Lack of Mike, or should I say lack of Mike rap verses. As a fan of LTs, I love the electronic elements in this song. THP was a little too "raw" for me (Aside from UIG & FM).

Basically lack of Mike. My 3 favorite tracks on THP are the ones without Mike on them. I even loved War for what it was, but I hate Wastelands and AFN. Mike ruined THP for me (Although Chester's screaming in KTTK is almost enough to forget Mike's awful verse). I love it when Mike sings, but I can't stand his rapping in THP. It was cool in ATS and LTs, but I couldn't stand it here.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I will give credit where it's due, when I listened to the WAV version on good earphones, the song is significantly clearer and better. Something weird happened with the YouTube compression, I prefer the wav version to anything else I've heard. It also makes enough of a difference the song go up a grade from a C to a B now.

Mike should also mix the next Linkin Park record, provided that he mixed this and didn't have Andy Wallace do it.

*EDIT* I also figured out what I feel is missing from this track. There's practically no bass guitar in the track apart from the choruses or bridge, which I know was a stylistic choice likely...but I feel even the bass doubling the guitar riffs would've made this track sound so much fuller.

Robot Man

Robot Man Well-Known Member

I like it a lot, but I prefer THP. Needs more Rob.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Okay, what I'm really curious about at this point is how is it known what recording sessions the songs are from?
    White Noise being previously unknown (with the exception of the Lyric sheet for THP sessions) and
    Luna samples being included on Stagelight are both a given, but how is it known that Ammosick is from MTM sessions and
    Warm Spell is from LT. Were they announced by the band? Articles stating it? Maybe mentioned on the making of?