Mike's rapping ability

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by MagmaXtreme, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've been listening to Mike's rap verse in the outro of "And One" quite a bit recently and it made me wonder, why doesn't he write more creative and technically proficient raps like this now?

Even though he writes a lot about being a skilled MC, which is a style that imo can get boring quickly since it has been done so many times, the verse in And One uses creative vocabulary such that it can be interpreted in different ways.

When I go through other LP songs I notice his raps aren't nearly as good, even though they suffice for delivering the message of the song. The only ones that stand out to me a little (from the studio albums) are those in UIB (which had some interesting lyrics) and Wastelands (good flow, especially for the first verse).

It's slightly disappointing what we got after Mike said he has worked hard on improving his rapping on THP after seeing Rakim, one of his musical idols, in the studio. AFN seemed to have a very uninspired rap verse, especially with the amount of times the word "ya" rhymed with "ya". The rap in Wastelands was the only sufficiently decent rap on the album, and it left me asking for more.

I really think Mike has it in him to pull off something special, it just seems like he doesn't bother though. I can understand that rapping is not really his forte but it makes me feel like he just raps for the sake of keeping the LP formula in their songs rather than going out of his box and really pushing the envelope.

What do you guys think about Mike's rapping lately?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Most of the raps Shinoda has delivered to date haven't been fantastic on the technical/lyrical front. I like a few of the songs from the last few albums, "A Thousand Suns" and onward, though; "Until It Breaks" is one of my favourite Linkin Park songs ever. :)

I don't like any of the verses on "The Hunting Party" -- all of them have something about them that I don't like

Paree

Paree I love my scars!

Yeah i somewhat agree with you.Mike's rap verses on THP are not so good.especially KTTK and AFN.He just spits out some Rhyming sentences.I like the rap on Wastelands.But there are some songs where i love his raps.LITE's rap verses are good especially the bridge.APFMH is also great.Nobody's Listening is also decent. Same goes with ITE,BIO,RME, even BID rap verses are good.And remember Mike can't rap like any other hiphop artists in a LP song as LP is not completely Hip Hop.I love Fort Minor verses of Mike.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Here's a crazy theory that I've heard: HT EP and HT were written for them.
    Think about it.

minuteforce

Well ... clearly, there are a variety of opinions and preferences when it comes to Shinoda's rap verses :rolleyes:

must have been the lizards IT ALL MAKES SENSE ▲▲▲

MagmaXtreme

Yea songs like BIO and LITE have deliver the message quite well in Mike's raps, but I refuse to believe he can't be more technically proficient with his rapping because he has to conform to certain methods for the rap to fit in an LP song. Mike has been a key player in evolving LP's sound.

However, overtime I don't feel like the rap in LP songs has changed much, the Wastelands verse was kinda different but didn't go far enough for me. It's probably one of the weakest areas in their song writing now because every rap Mike delivers is so expected and doesn't offer much that's new and interesting.

MagmaXtreme

Yea I have, I can see Mike has more potential but he's compromised technical proficiency for lyrical effectiveness. I understand that's what he wanted to do but I just feel like he could benefit from developing his rapping skill further and also benefit the band as well as the fans in the process.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Dude the 2nd verse on AFN is dope as hell.

I don't think his subject matter is very interesting on THP but his flow is on point.

minuteforce

I guess that I pretty much agree with this.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Mike has shown that his fully capable of rapping with Reading My Eyes (and shows with performances of that song that he can still keep up with that speed).
    He also shows that he is capable of creating excellent flow, especially with The Hunting Party.
    And, of course, the lyrics that he writes (for his raps and for singing parts) are very relatable and are well written.

If you were to ask me, I'd say Mike is a pretty exceptional rapper.

minuteforce

In the realm of nu-metal or rap-rock or whatever, he's more or less at the top of the mountain, as I keep saying.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Dude rarely fucks it up, but when he does, you get the ALITS "rap verse".

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

His rap verses in THP might not be the best lyrically, but his flow is great. Nails the delivery, but its understandable. Considering they were aiming to make the album as a way to introduce their roots and influences, early punk was made to simply convey a rebellious and crazy rush of nonsense, making noise just to have fun. The lyrics, in this case, didn't have to make sense. I think some of you guys just take it too seriously. Its not ATS, and no, Mike should not stop rapping, nor will he have his own singing album. One Thing I can say is that Mike has a nice soft singing voice, but that would pretty much be it. Not much variation going on in terms of his vocal performance and he isn't very good live.

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I really love his flow, but his lyrics leave a lot to be desired. I'm so tired of the "I'm so awesome and better than everyone else" lyrics. They are fun to rap along to, but if you pay to much attention to what he's actually saying it get's kind of cringe worthy at times. I wouldn't want LP without Mike's rapping though!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    Paree

Paree I love my scars!

Mike's singing is good. Mike's rapping is better than his singing.And yeah it includes Blackout and Iridescent too.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

He's always been a pretty mediocre/simple as an emcee, both lyrically and flow-wise.

Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

This. Just, a million times this.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

He raps about being a good MC without really proving it in the song. He has some really good raps, I like KTTK's flow and UIB but so much of his rap is embarrassing lyric wise.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

At the very least, lets be glad Mike isn't rapping about "drowning in pussy" :kappa:

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.