Mike's rapping ability

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by MagmaXtreme, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

For reference

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Possibly the best verse of his career in my opinion.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I look up to Mike and respect him more than I can adequately explain here, but reading the quote above...it's near impossible to believe it's the same emcee. The fact he confessed around the FM-era that he 'dumbed down' his raps to fit the nu-metal sound, and then proceeded to do just that on TRT and not totally kill it lyrically on The Rising Tied was frustrating.

The evidence is more than readily available that he can rap well, and write exceptionally good rhymes...when he wants to (High Voltage, And One outro, Spraypaint & Inkpens, and most recently I Have Not Begun). The problem is that I wish he'd strive for that with every song he writes a verse for. As much as I respect him, it sometimes feels lately like he's 'rapping for the sake of rapping' and honestly...that kinda sucks. If he's going to rap on a track he should go big or go home. Prove his lyrical prowess and smack down other rappers. If he can write a complex verse like above when he was younger (and 'less experienced') he can definitely pull that out of his hat today.

minuteforce

What I like about the "And One" verse is it's a "Hybrid Theory"-era introspective verse exploring inner feelings, but it isn't cheesy and angsty - instead, it sounds properly dark and serious as he delivers it on the recording. On top of that, on a technical level, it's pretty interesting. Looking at those two things, I don't think that there's any other verse like it in LP's discography :)

The tracks on "The Hunting Party" that feature rap verses ... they needed rap verses (with the possible exception of "A Line In The Sand", in my opinion) but the ones that are there sound kind of lazy and, moreover, don't always completely match up lyrically with the rest of their respective songs except in terms of base emotions ... mostly frustration.

Derek

Exactly. Mike has some great inspirations: Jay-Z (well...he was great when he first came out), Rakim, Wu-Tang Clan and Common. All masters of their craft, and all skilled at wordplay. Considering the hiphop he grew up on, you'd think lyrics like the one quoted above would be commonplace for him, yet he keeps doing really corny stuff on some tracks.

I ain't even hatin either. I'm just saying to go from that verse, to the bridge on Burn It Down is a pretty big drop.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

I think Wastelands and Until it Breaks have some of his best rap verses, so it's not like he hasn't written anything great in years.
    But yeah... I wish he used more time to craft his rhymes.
    His flow is pretty solid on THP but his lyrics overall aren't that amazing.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

"When you fall I take my turn and fan the flames as your blazes burn" is a badass line. Although, I still don't know what BID is about.

Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

It's Going Down.

No, seriously, the lack of people name-dropping IGD is crazy... That has to be my absolute favourite thing Mike has ever written.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Derek

Meh. That song used to totally blow my mind back in the day, but now it doesn't do that much for me. It's a good track, but I feel Mike has written better rhymes. IGD is in his top 5 for sure, but there are other songs more complex then that.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

he a god raper

limonpower

limonpower Well-Known Member

This

Also this.

Paree

Paree I love my scars!

Since this question arised, I've been listening to songs in which mike makes notable contribution with raps.I think his flow is excellent.And his accent is also good.Not so good lyrics like you'll said but lyrics can't judge a rapper's ability.If i consider Lyrics Jay-Z is just crap IMHO.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I like his parts in ALITS :shrug:

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Mike has proven time to time before that's he's fully capable of writing great, clever verses (And One, WTCFM, etc). I think it's all about subject matter. He has the skill, but he rarely ever takes advantage of it. I'll admit I don't like Mike's verses on THP at all. His flow is on point, but the shit he's talking about is just "tired" at this point. His verses on the album don't even fit the tone of the songs, it really just ruins it for me. The attitude made sense on WTCFM, UIB felt really unique to me, THP? "I'm a five-star general infantry controller" *Sigh*

I just don't understand how he can write something as great as "And One", then make a song like "Where'd You Go" on an album that was solely focused on hip-hop. I would say that if he's being held back by what he could do with the band, then he should make another solo album. However, FM was his one chance to prove himself, but his verses were just "meh". Although, it did prove he's fully capable of holding an album of his own outside of the band, and the production is fantastic.

He's a talented writer, and I'd like to see him giving a hip-hop album another shot. I'd like to see what he could do on his own now days with complete freedom/not being tied down by LP styled songs. If he's just going to be on some AFN shit though, then forget it.

Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

Precisely. I can live with his attitude where it fits, but he seems to be dragging it into places where it just doesn't belong.

Jay-Z IS just crap :kappa:

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

I feel Mike has a lot of criminally underrated raps (2nd verse in BIO, WTCFM etc)

As many have pointed out, he has proven he has the ABILITY (as per title of the thread)

I think, though, it speaks volumes that the best rap verse on THP isn't even from Mike....in terms of wordplay AND delivery, Rakim absolutely SMASHES GATS

However I am firmly of the belief that Mike will take his aggression that he showed on THP and bring the lyrics to go with it for the next album, and remind us all exactly why he's the best

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Me too.

Linkin Park has the capability of making mind blowing music and making a mind blowing album, but we don't always get that. And I mainly think that's because the members want to make music that they like making and have fun making, and sometimes the most technical music isn't what they want to make. And as long as they're not throwing absolute crap constantly at us, we as fans should at least respect them for making what they want to make.

minuteforce

This just does not compute with me :lol:

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.