Mike's rapping ability

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by MagmaXtreme, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Paree

Paree I love my scars!

Yeah,that's my opinion. If somebody else would have written for Mike,and the lyrics were just crap, can you say Mike is a bad rapper??

limonpower

limonpower Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, but the fact of the matter is that Mike DOES write his own verses; therefore, your argument is invalid in this particular circumstance.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

THIS.

Idfw a lot of Mike's raps because imo he doesn't sound convincing when talking about how dope he is. RME has like 3 ill bars mixed with lame or confusing lines. And One has no ill lines and plenty of vocab. High Voltage has plenty of vocab, average bars and confusing lines. I Have Not Begun is dope and he still doesn't sound like a boss on it.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, these are fair criticisms. :)

Paree

Paree I love my scars!

In that case, you may call Mike as a bad Song Writer.Not a bad Rapper.

Mario007

Mario007 Well-Known Member

"You're not an MC if someone else write your lines..."

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Being a rapper includes "song writing".

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Sure? :kappa:

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure freestyling is rap too

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Part of being a rapper is writing your songs.

And Mike is pretty shit at that too, doesn't really add to what Paree is trying (ludicrously) to prove.

Ch3sters Ghost

Ch3sters Ghost Member

Mike Shinoda is an amazing MC, he's simply changing his style from his Hybrid Theory days.

I for one really enjoyed the rap verse in Keys to the Kingdom and Wastelands. I know this album was base heavy but I hope for the next one they utilize his rap more and let the music flow around him and Chester (like in Hybrid Theory and Meteora.)

They don't have to be the same either, in Bleed it out it was a perfect example of rap and rock using Chester and Mike. :) :shinado:

Awesome smilies btw lol.

MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

I remember during the THP cycle when the album leaked then people mentioned 'rap' in ALTIS, then when I heard it after release date I was like "where's the rap"

Knowing Mike & LP, I don't think that verse was intended to be an actual rap verse, it's more of a 'talky-singing-rhyme' to me, which adds a bit of variety to the song in the sense that a conventional rap from Mike would have been expected as opposed to this.

MagmaXtreme

I really wonder how aware of these criticisms Mike is and whether he hasn't really responded to them because it's not the right time to. Another FM album would be the perfect way to bring it back and showcase his lyrical prowess.

I am kind of sensing that as he got older he moved away from rap and focused on producing a lot more, what if he's not feeling that same 'spark' for rap that he had when he was younger?

MagmaXtreme

Speaking of evidence that he can rap well, I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5m67dDr-O4

If you listen to the rap from 2:05 to 2:47 , it's quite solid, I'm wondering if Mike actually wrote it himself or if it is from another song? I can't find the lyrics to part anywhere...

Also does anyone know if a studio version of this mashup exists anywhere?

Another point I'd like re-iterate, it seems to me that as Mike got older he doesn't have that same 'spark' for rap that he used to have when he was younger, I'm wondering if that's what factoring into the quality of most of his raps lately?

MagmaXtreme

It's so sad that Mike hasn't taken advantage of the fact that he can still uniquely standout amongst those who inspired him. He adopted this tone of rapping about people's emotions and things that happen in people's lives early on in LP's career, but there wasn't enough technical proficiency in his verses to make a name for himself in the rapping game.

Now he's strayed away from that even more. He's shown that he has the vocabulary to write unique lines people don't usually hear in rap songs, does he feel that honing his rapping skills and presenting them more to the public would make him less unique since there are already so many rappers out there who are more skilled than himself? Is he sticking with LP 'dumbed-down' rap so he still has some unique qualities that distinguish him from other artists?

AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

I believe that rap is from a Recharged song, though I'm not exactly sure which one. And there's no studio version of the mashup, not an official one anyway.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

These are good points. Those "qualities" only really distinguish him from other artists in the rock sphere, though. In the realm of hip-hop proper, I'm certain that his rapping, as it is now and as it as it has always been,would rank him only among amateurs.

The "Skin To Bone" remix. :)

MagmaXtreme

Thanks for referring me to that song :)

It reminded me of the Vice remix for IBG, Shinoda's rap there wasn't too bad either. However if Mike was able to pull off verses like the outro of And One consistently (but with good variety in speed, wordplay, rhyming schemes/patterns etc), would you still think he would be considered an amateur in the hip-hop realm? Do you know of many artists that pull off significantly better raps than this consistently?

Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

I Have Not Begun.
    Dedicated.
    High Voltage.
    Those are my favourite raps. I actually think that a lot of the best raps are the newer ones, but there are many more good raps that can be found on Hybrid Theory. Pretty much every song on HT has rapping, even One Step Closer has a layer in the chorus that you could call rapping.
    I actually like All For Nothing and Wastelands a lot because of their rap verses. All For Nothing isn't exactly fast, but it shows of the rapping ability well, and Wastelands does an even better job.
    I highly disagree with everybody that says about his 'I'm an awesome MC' gets boring. Blah blah blah, bad lyrics, who cares if it sounds good you shouldn't criticise the awesome song.

lpandpie

lpandpie Well-Known Member

#NeverForget 'Untitled' rap verses being dumbed down for 'In The End.' That has the mix of flow, vocabulary, and emotion I want more in his raps. That and the bridge from 'Blackbirds.'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.