Linkin Park Berlin show to be streamed by SES and Samsung

Discussion in 'News' started by minuteforce, Nov 17, 2014.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

On November 19, Linkin Park will be playing a show at the O2 World in Berlin, Germany, and Linkin Park fans all over the world will be able to watch; the band have partnered up with Samsung and satellite operator SES to broadcast the show live via satellite for TV viewers worldwide.

[YOUTUBE]DVE7qp4MVXw[/YOUTUBE]​

The show will be streamed exclusive on SES's HD "Astra" channel, according to an announcement on the SES website. Fans will get to see the video broadcast in "Ultra HD", which means "a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels, 50 frame per second and a colour depth of 10 bit." An article on Broadband TV News further tells us that the concert will be filmed using "10 Ultra HD cameras [and] can be received unencrypted on ["Astra]." Linkin Park's Berlin performance will be their first live music concert to be shown on this channel and at this high a resolution.

The SES post mentions that the broadcast will only be viewable with Samsung's 2014 Ultra HD TVs. Broadband TV News' article, likely quoting from a press release, gives a little more detail:

For anyone who's able to catch it, the show will begin at 9PM CET on the evening of November 19.

Source: SES via RayCharlizard

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

So, they might do something special this time! Or not! Who knows! I'm hyped! I want my predictions to be true dammit :lol:

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

So...nobody will actually get to watch this then?

I mean really, how many people actually have that type of TV? I expect it'll take years before that's a common household item.

Perhaps Ultra HD can still be transferred to YouTube. I have no idea how that works though.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

If that's really the case and not just a case of the press release being badly worded, then that's incredibly stupid. UHD's are still a new technology and to limit the broadcast to that only will mean that many people cannot see it.
    Beat me to it :lol:

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

The technical specifics of this confuse me. Also 50fps is a weird framerate, and Mike said they were filming this for DVD right? DVD's can't do Ultra HD.

This whole thing makes no sense.

Derek

It makes total sense. The 4K will only be available for the Samsung stream. They'll likely downconvert the footage to the proper resolutions for Blu-Ray and DVD when the live release comes out. 4K Blu-Rays aren't out yet, so they'll likely bump the footage down to 1920x1080p for the Blu-Ray.

Jesse

Logic belongs nowhere near this thread. :p

But I guess those are good points. It still doesn't make sense to broadcast to such few TV sets though.

BTW, yes youtube does allow (very shitty downsampled) 4K uploads.

Derek

If I were the band, I'd do what Muse did for their 4K film. I would run the 4K concert in a limited run at IMAX theatres, and then release the 1920x1080p Blu-Ray later on.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

Wait, the show has already been filmed? The show with the regular stuff they've been playing? How is that exclusive? :lol:

RayCharlizard

RayCharlizard Active Member

The show hasn't been filmed yet. This is a big deal because:

1) This is the first live broadcast of 4K content.
    2) Linkin Park might be recording more of their performances in 4K for archival purposes in the future.

I'm sure most of you don't have 4K displays so watching in that resolution wouldn't have much benefit, nor could you decode the HEVC format. That doesn't mean the technology isn't cool, nor that it isn't cool of Linkin Park to do this. You'll still probably get to see the show, just not at the 4K resolution. It's not stupid, the future has to come sometime. :p

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Is this the Berlin show to be filmed for a LIVE DVD album as twitted by LPLive? Isn't the The Hunting Party DVD included was the Mexico show last 2012, right? So this could be like the ROAD TO REVOLUTION-type LIVE album?

Vic

Vic No game no life

The fuck is Rob? :lol:

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Was the 2012 Berlin show they played in theaters not 4k? They did play it in IMAX here.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

IMAX wasn't doing 4K until last year.

Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

Can you guys see my posts

Jesse

Never thought it being in 4K was stupid...

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Expecting a rip of the 50fps 4k video. Don't let me down, internet.

RayCharlizard

RayCharlizard Active Member

I didn't quote you or anyone specifically. But I do believe Derek used the word to describe the limitation of distribution to Samsung devices. That in itself isn't stupid because, again, this is an HEVC encoded stream and I don't believe any cable or satellite set-top boxes are able to decode that format yet. Hence the limitation to Samsung devices as this is mostly a tech demo for them. I think maybe Sony's Ultra HDTVs and media players might use HEVC but I seam to recall them launching with only 4K support in H.264 format.

tl;dr it would look like poop if they used standard streaming methods to show this in 4K online / other satellite providers. As for SD/1080p streams, that might still happen but I dunno.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

At this time, we're not treating that as being confirmed. :)