December 13, 2014 - Inglewood, CA - KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, Dec 13, 2014.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

For the seventh time in their career, Linkin Park will be playing the KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas show on December 13th. With six shows under their belts at the show, there is some history, and we will run down it. At their first AAC performance in 2000, the band opened up the show, and they did it with the live debut of My December. Being the opening act the band only played eight songs. In 2001 the band played a two night set. The first night featured a standard setlist for that year, and at this show they threw in a short version of "Sweet Child O' Mine", something they did from time to time that year. Aaron Lewis also came out and sang on One Step Closer. The second night is somewhat historic for Linkin Park, this is where they played part of the set acoustically. Except for LPU summits, and the piano version of Pushing Me Away, this is the only time that the band has taken their songs and performed them acoustically. Aaron Lewis again came out and sang with the band, however on this night it was on Crawling instead of One Step Closer. The band returned for a show in 2003 for the last show for that year. It took four years, but the band returned in 2007 to rock the house, and rock the house they did. Again closing out their touring year at the show they debuted the third live version of My December and Mike played a keyboard cover of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen". How fitting. As if those things weren't enough, the band also brought out a drum line on No More Sorrow and Bleed It Out. They also brought out a choir of children to sing on Hands Held High. The last time the band played this show was in 2012, and after all the years of them mixing it up, what special thing did we get at this show? Well we got Mike playing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" again... and that's about it. Mike got pissed off at the lame home crowd and put his guitar down in order to run down into the audience for the last part of Bleed It Out. Because of this the band did not play the Sabotage bridge that they had been playing all year, and it was set to retire at this show according to the setlist.

All these performances have been webcasted by KROQ, so there are PLENTY of videos to choose from, so I will include two here. The first is the Night #2 set in 2001.

[video=youtube;jC_1OOlGoT4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC_1OOlGoT4[/video]
    Webcast from 2001, that's why you can almost count the amount of pixels being shown

And the second is the whole 2007 performance due to all the awesomeness that happened at that show.

[video=youtube;bNnM7zIxvOA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNnM7zIxvOA[/video]
    This show is famous for having a bad audio mix. Buth the band were solid.

Last night the band played the second half of Set A, with Joes Solo Medley opening the show for the first time. The shortened set was due to the band being under heavy time restraints. This is most likely what we will be seeing tonight as well, but you never know. Maybe they will perform the second half of Set B. They were also joined by Tim McIlrath from Rise Against on Bleed It Out. Check out the start of the show in the video here below.

[video=youtube;_GEHB2D1THs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GEHB2D1THs[/video]

So for the first time since 2000, Linkin Park will not be headlining the show, that instead will fall on System of a Down. That of course opens the door for Daron Malakian to again come out and play guitar on Rebellion. Frequent Linkin Park live collaborator Mike Einziger will also be present at the show, maybe he will come out and play on anything? Earlier this year at the Concert For The Philippines he came out and played on What I've Done and In The End, in 2012 he also joined the band for Bleed It Out at several shows. So can we expect another guest appearance at this show? Rise Against is also on the bill tonight, and yesterday their lead singer joined the band on Bleed It Out, will this be repeated tonight? Will it be repeated on the upcoming tour? System of a Down is scheduled to go on an hour after Linkin Park starts, so there will be a short set, but what songs will be kept an what songs will be kept? Any new songs to be debuted? Will it be the same set as yesterday?

WEBCAST DETAILS

Tonight's show is being webcasted over at KROQ. The show starts at 4:30pm with DJ Jeremiah Red. Linkin Park goes on at 9:25pm. All times are PST, if you want to convert it to your time zone, just go here. If you want to know how long until Linkin Park goes on, just go here.

Tonight is the last show for 2014, the band kicks off another North American tour on January 15th in Orlando, Florida.

Are you going to this show? Will you be watching it live? Come and discuss in our forums.

SETLIST:

01. Joe Solo Medley (Wretches And Kings, Victimized Remix, Buy Myself, Cure For The Itch, Session, Plc.4 Mie Hæd)
    02. Burn It Down
    03. Waiting For The End (Apaches Intro w/ 'Until It Breaks' Verse 2; Wall Of Noise Outro)
    04. Final Masquerade
    05. Mike Solo Medley (Wretches And Kings, Remember The Name hybrid verse)
    06. Numb (Numb/Encore Outro)
    07. In The End
    08. Faint (Ext. Outro)
    09. Rebellion (Feat. Daron Malakian)
    10. Lost In The Echo [Shortened] (No Second Verse, Second Chorus, or Bridge)
    11. New Divide [Shortened] (No Second Verse and Second Chorus; Transition Outro)
    12. Crawling [Shortened] (No Second Verse and Second Chorus; w/ Faster Tempo)
    13. Until It's Gone [Shortened] (Ext. Intro w/ With You Verse 1 Rap)
    14. What I've Done (Short Ticking Intro; Ext. Guitar Solo Bridge)
    15. Bleed It Out (Feat. Tim McIlrath, The Catalyst Refrain; Ext. Ending)

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I guess we'll get to hear "My December" again :)

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

I really hope they bring it back for this show.

Hybridora

Hybridora Well-Known Member

I just came in right before Rebellion started (that was fun), I still wish Mike did the whole song the way he does at the end. Chester seems to be struggling a bit...I wonder if he's sick or hurt his throat because he looks like he is really fighting with each line sung. Hahn looks incredibility bored and/or pissed off. Brad, Dave and Mike look to be having fun.

Edit: That Bleed It Out performance with Tim from Rise Against was....something...lol

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

Yeah, I tuned in to the stream just a second ago and heard Until It's Gone and What I've Done and thought the same thing. Chester is really straining tonight. His voice sounds thin and weak. It's unfortunate.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Chester actually sounded GREAT earlier in the set, by far the best I've ever heard him sing Final Masquerade. He was rough for the first 2 songs (he usually has trouble for about the first 10 minutes of a show because he gets so hyped on adrenaline that he forgets to sing with proper technique), then he sounded great from FM through Faint, but he sang the really high "YEAHHHHHHHHH" at the end of the Faint outro, which he normally doesn't do anymore. I think that strained his voice, because it immediately got worse on Rebellion and stayed that way the rest of the night.

Same setlist as the previous show BTW, with the addition of Daron on Rebellion.

crazygolfer

crazygolfer Well-Known Member

I don't mean to sound like a broken record but damn I'm getting concerned over Chester's voice. I'm one of the biggest Chaz fans out there, but I can't be biased and ignore how weak he sounded tonight in some songs, especially WFTE. His lower register live has never been amazing, but it's getting worse. Maybe it's time they start cutting back on touring. It's obvious Chester needs more rest than he needed once before.

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

This kind of ocassion happened on iTunes 2011 too,right?After they played WTCFM,right onto NMS,he sounded nasal

Hybridora

Hybridora Well-Known Member

Ah well thank you for putting it into context, kinda pissed I missed the Final Masquerade performance. I'm glad to hear he was doing better earlier...but that is unfortunate if he did strain it in Faint. He's a professional and I'm sure he has done it many times, but it only takes one time to permanently damage his throat.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Well he sounded amazing through the whole Guitar Center Sessions. Maybe it'll recover before the next show

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Here's last night's full performance:

[video=youtube;0mB7Ur6NELM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mB7Ur6NELM[/video]

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

That's actually one of the best performances I've heard of Faint in a long time, if not ever. Chester sounds exactly like he did back in 2003...no struggling at all. Even the growled bridge sounded fucking fantastic. Bravo Chaz.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Someone realized that Tim sing the first chorus a bit to fast? :lol:

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Oh come on. :lol: Better than usual lately? Yes. Best ever? Not even close.

[video=youtube;jREi-xZfWQg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jREi-xZfWQg[/video]

He growls the entire "hear me out now", and in that show... he just yells it.

brady

Agreed. I hope they keep Faint in their setlist for a long time. It's energetic, the large majority of the crowd loves it, and the band seems to enjoy playing it, too.

Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

The first half of the show was solid. Chester sounded much better than he has in a while. I don't think he strained his voice on Faint - he didn't wince or crack his voice when he sang the last "Yeah" it actually sounded pretty damn good. ITE was better than it typically is these days as well. Crawling was where the shit really hit the fan.

Overall, I'm just as confused as the rest of you guys about his voice overall. His pitch and range wasn't very good when LP started out, but it improved a LOT. I thought it would keep improving, but the past 4 years it's gotten much worse :(

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I think the new video sounds better then that :/. Chester sounds hoarse in the video you linked and short of breath. Maybe the bridge is better, but the rest...hardly. Maybe it's just me though.

Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

You don't like the hoarseness? I think it sounded really good on songs like Faint when Chester did it. As for the rest, can't you see how much more energy and vigor he had compared to now?

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Good God no. That RaR 07 performance of Faint is almost legendary. He may sound "hoarser" but that was back when he still at least had an aggressive edge to his vocals in the chorus rather than his full-on singing he does now. Not to mention he still had the strength to scream "I won't be ignored" at the end of the bridge rather than relying on the crowd. And that outro is insane.

That said, Faint from Auburn/Camden 07 are legendary. Chester blows even RaR outta the water there.

brady

Yeah that performance is okay, but legendary? Far from it. Chester sounded almost perfect during Faint at Almost Acoustic Christmas.