Longform EP?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by TobinKnowsBest, Jan 8, 2015.

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

So there I am, my music on shuffle while I'm in the bath. A few tracks in, by sheer chance, this was the order of three tracks in a row:

A Line In The Sand --> The Catalyst --> The Little Things Give You Away

Although these songs were never intended to be played in this order (obviously they're all from different albums), they still seemed to transition into each other very well. They are all, of course, all 5 or 6 minute songs.

This initially got me thinking "wow! an album of just 6 minute epic songs would be amazing". It then dawned on me that maybe the 'epic' would lose its effect after 12 or so tracks.

I eventually came to the conclusion that the best option would either be:

(1) a full length album with numerous LP-style interludes and 6 or so epic length tracks
    or
    (2) a 6-track EP, with an Instrumental as the first track followed by 5 'epic' tracks (before going back to 'normal' and working on LP7)

I know not everyone would like this, but I wouldn't actually mind seeing how it would go to be honest

What would your feelings towards this concept be? Is there even anybody out that even remotely agrees with where I'm coming from :lol:

UltimateLegend

UltimateLegend Well-Known Member

I've always wanted them to do more long (and progressive) styled songs, so I would love this. Although maybe not a 6-track EP, that's a little too long for an EP. I'd say around 4 songs. I do love this idea though.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

I understand what you mean but isn't that a little bit too long for casual listeners to digest? even WB keeps LP pushing to produce radio-friendly material, remember how I'LL BE GONE supposed to be? Primo was a good example but they scrapped it. I don't think the label would love that direction considering THP struggled in terms of sales. WB might want LP to make LIVING THINGS-esque LP7 to compensate in terms of sales.

MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

The music industry and the radio werent ready for "thp sound" It was too heavy for them
    but yet lets just say if they make another HT or M2M for example, everyone would be happy, they would all be okay with it
    because it would sell. LP makes music for themselves not WB, not the radio, and not us the fans. I've said this along along time
    ago LP can be heavy without having to add that "nu metal sound" and they did that with THP

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

Approx. 18 minutes.18 minutes for you to take a bath.3 minutes longer than me.

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

My friend I am in there for at least 45 minutes

@Knt.Slbs I don't really care how the 'casual listener' feels tbh :p

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Seems interesting. But for epic music, especially in a rock band, you need an great guitarist, right? :kappa:

Seriously, i think it could be a cool idea, but for this some members had to step up a bit in my opinion :)

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Not necessarily. Tool's guitarist, Adam Jones, isn't the most technical guitarist and they do more than fine on the epic front.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Yeah , therefore was the kappa, but seriously , i think Brad playing a little bit better guitar wouldnt hurt someone :lol: Also if he did some good stuff on THP.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I mean, we also got GATS and MTG on THP, which I would say qualify as being pretty long by normal standards. I think these songs are only epic because of their context in the album, a full release of just long songs might be strange. You could basically clump the first 4 tracks into one on ATS, then Robot Boy, Jornada, and WFTE (and maybe Blackout), and iridescent and the two neighboring interludes into one and you would have 4 long tracks. Before you say that wouldn't be the same because of how different they sound, consider how different the intro of ALITS is compared to the rest of the song, or the two halves of the catalyst for that matter. "Switch styles on a dime"

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

You're under the misconception that WB has control over what the band makes.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

They always say that they want to be creative, innovative, out of the box. And still they can't get over the 3 min VCVCBC. If they actually wanted to change radically, this idea would be a good way to get started.

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Agreed. So far UIB is pretty much the only song that is particularly innovative structurally.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Cool concept, OP. That sounds like something I would totally appreciate the band creating, since those three songs are very unique and each have something that makes them special. It almost seems possible, since the band has historically and recently been interested in smooth transitions between songs (MtM exception).

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

And even that's just because they had three cool ideas that they decided to mash up together.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Personally, I don't think that that matters. Even if it had been just a single demo that all of those elements came from, the eventual result would still be "three cool ideas ... mashed up together". Ultimately, the band came up with all of those elements and, then, came with ideas for how to put them together. Obviously, that process went through a couple of stages but everything goes through stages.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Well that's not completely true IMO.

Like mentioned previously, ALITS is a track which pretty much does everything you've mentioned they should do. Over 6 mins. Verse 1 > instrumental break > verse 2 > chorus > breakdown > chorus > bridge > chorus > finale. The only typical LP thing about it is that it repeats the chorus 3 times.

Other notable mentions : roads untraveled, victimized, robot boy, waiting for the end, Valentine's Day and Obviously UIB.

And look at MTG. That's all over the place structure wise and technically the most progressive song on LPs discography.

Captain-EO

I thought about those, but they're still pretty patterned. It's nothing mind-blowingly different like in UIB.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

UIB is still: Verse --> Chorus --> Verse --> Outro
    I'd honestly say that there are other LP songs with more interesting structures, although I agree, they could still experiment much, much more structurally.

Captain-EO

It's more like verse->verse->verse->verse->outro, because to be a chorus generally it's repeated more than once. It's more like another verse than a chorus. It doesn't contain any repeated hooks or anything in the rest of the song. UIB really has no defined chorus in my opinion.

You could argue that Brad's part is the chorus, but that still makes it extremely irregular. Meh.