The "How did LP make that sound" Thread - Research

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Arachnids, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

2. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Continuing on my topic of the A Place for my Head sample appearing in Runaway, I've listened closely, and there's not a doubt in my mind that it's the sample. It even has the pitch shift effect that occurs in the sample (at the end of the bridge, just before the final chorus starts).
    [video=youtube;hgPGpwbUEis]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgPGpwbUEis[/video]
    At 2:25 in this video, if listen closely you can hear the sample used and played out to end the bridge.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  3. box1992

box1992 and the sun will set for you

does anyone have any idea what that synth in the beginning for shadow of the day is? It sounds like something reversed but I'm not really sure.

4. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"Midnight"'s liner notes describe it as "reversed keyboard" or something, IIRC

5. abbaslp

abbaslp Fortyoneaxes

luv this tread!!!! just want to know step up drops,samples,effects blah blah they used.......need links for vst or fl studio files urgently :)

6. IronDust71

IronDust71 Well-Known Member

Yup ! The booklet says :

7. Captain-EO

It's a very electric piano-y kind of synth reversed. There's a lot of reversed in LP songs. There's a reversed piano in the intro to LOATR. Not Alone has reversed piano too.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  8. mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

cool thread...

9. minuteforce

You can find some of those in the "Tasty Gas Station Breaks From The Orient" pack that's been floating around online ...

10. Captain-EO

Not post-MTM though.

Btw, I do believe the scratch sample for The Catalyst is featured on TGSB. Played around, and it sounded pretty much dead-on. In fact, there are a lot of samples for it that haven't been recognized, and it bothers me >.>

11. mandylane

in the song somewhere i belong i wonder what intro synth it could be.

it sounds to me that in some songs they used the linn-drum drum machine

there is some cool pad sounds in the intro of the songs..

12. minuteforce

Shinoda made no secret of how that intro was made. In the track-by-track description of "Meteora" for Shoutweb in 2003, for example, he explained it like so:

13. mandylane

14. Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

How did they make that weird noise in Part Of Me that there is 6 minutes of before 'Ambient'?

15. Captain-EO

That's a sample of a guitar plug producing electrical buzz. It can be easily produced by taking a guitar cord, plugging it into the amp, and touching the unplugged end to your hand. Not an expert on this stuff, but I believe it completes the circuit or something like that.

This same technique was used to create the sample for the main hook of I Have Not Begun.

Also, there's a really neat synth line in Papercut most people haven't heard in the bridge. If you wanna hear it really loud look up Papercut from Smokeout 2003.

One of these days I'll present my list of things I've picked out of songs.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Tocaraca likes this.
  16. mandylane

i have seen youtube video where mike is on the lpc making beats.. pretty cool! genious ..

it looks so easy

[video=youtube;U5qHGjVnk08]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5qHGjVnk08[/video]

17. Captain-EO

Here's my list, with things taken out that have already been mentioned or things that are just wild guesses.

One Step Closer: The scratch sample sounds very much like an extremely-effected Chester scream or other vocal sample by him.
    Crawling: Joe also scratches a strings sample in the intro.
    Runaway: There's a sample in the bridge of Runaway (it plays whenever Mike is saying "Gonna run away gonna run away") that if you listen closely sounds somewhat like the siren of A Place for my Head (and I'm nearly certain it is), shifted a little. I went over it at the start of this page. A drum sample is scratched throughout, and I'm assuming it's the drum pattern found on Tasty Gas Station Breaks.
    A Place for my Head: There's a sample in the verses of A Place for my Head that sounds similar to the sound in the verses of Qwerty, almost like one of those old synth bass voices people call like Hi Q or whatever. The sample is the opening sample on track 8 of Tasty Gas Station Breaks, the same one that has the Esaul siren. Joe plays a sample of Chester singing "la-la-la-la" (albeit very slurred, and it sounds like the crossfader is breaking it up a little) and does a "brake" effect on it. This is only played in the second prechorus.
    Somewhere I Belong: The scratch sample is a widely-used "siren" sample with a few effects. The chorus has a synth playing alongside the lead guitar, but it's really hard to hear, but sounds like an a manipulated stock MIDI sample or something.
    Faint: A square-ish sort of staccato synth plays throughout the choruses and can be heard at the end of the verses (starting whenever Mike says "I let go, watching you...").
    Figure.09: There's a metal-banging sample that's put alongside all the snare hits in the song, along with that same percussive needle drop sound Astat has mentioned. This same sort of metal bang's also in POA and By Myself, but I didn't feel like including them by themselves.
    Leave Out All the Rest: The intro features reversed piano alongside the synth to get that swelling effect.
    Wisdom, Justice, and Love: This song features two different parts of Martin Luther King Jr.'s Beyond Vietnam -- A Time to Break Silence speech (the very first sentence "I come to this magnificent house of worship...", is taken from early in the speech, while the rest is from much later). Along with MLK's speech, there's a piano, strings, choir samples, and a sample of heavy wind.
    Final Masquerade: FM actually has a reversed piano in it. It's most easily heard (without reversing) in the beginning first chorus, it's that swelling sound that sounds almost like a cello.

18. minuteforce

Shinoda has said that that was actually a recording of a car alarm ... but it could be both that and "electrical buzz"

Tocaraca likes this.
  19. Captain-EO

That's the other sound you hear that fades in and out. Just listen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhCPveGE8wg

The opening sound is the car alarm. The staccato buzzing is the electrical buzz I was talking about.

Tocaraca likes this.
  20. mandylane

i just wonder who worked the most on the sounds for the songs of linkin park.

of all the team members who came up with ideas for this and that.