American Sniper...view from a mentaliy ill Veteran

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Dragondust, Jan 23, 2015.

Dragondust

Dragondust Lingering distortion LPA VIP

"could" be considered a murderer sure, However under many certain circumstances like what was portrayed in the movie, it becomes something far from murder. Murder is by definition "the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought " or "a group or flock of crows" But seriously, war is hell, have you personally been in any of the situations this man has been through to make such accusations?

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

I was just giving examples of things we could relate to that wouldn't be here if we lived in a country where terrorists ran free and ruled.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

Not evidence but TWEETS :p

When the fuck did Twitter become a central hub of oppression? You keep hearing stories about people being "attacked" that essentially boil down to people saying mean things on Twitter.

Everyone's oversensitive. Kids these days. *smokes out of pipe*

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

What accusations? I haven't attacked any individual in any of my posts. I've never been in any of his extremely tense, specific situations (I don't know how many people have..?) but I do understand, like you, that war is hell. That's why I don't agree with fighting wars. "I'm not saying the military and those in it are evil, but the intentions and results don't always match up. The military has some of the best minds in the country. Personally, I would love to see the best and brightest in America work towards curing disease, not creating bombs. That's my only point, there is wasted potential." <--from my earlier post, after the very quick logistical argument I made about the definition of "murder".

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Dragondust

There is wasted potential in every moment our lives, We as a people do need to focus on age related disease and so much more, However we have an immensely large waste of potential in the gaming world, So many young minds wasting away on numbers and pixels when instead could be doing hands on projects like repairing engines and fun science experiments and so on. Our schooling system is corrupt to the core same with our medical system, law system and so on. lots of people get screwed over going to college and spend much of their lives in debt for the dream of becoming a useful being in society, But our society currently refuses to march into these establishments and fix them within. they instead hold signs with ink splots believing it will make a promising change in the world and it just doesn't work! and doing the same thing over and over expecting results is a sign of insanity so it looks to me like we have a societal problem and quite a big one at that.

Dragondust

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Huh? They're both racist murderous assholes that now have a holiday in their name.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

But without him sniping all those people, we would have less freedom right now. Somehow...

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

But without him sniping all those people, we would have a lot more people coming home in body bags...

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

And that would be nobody's fault but their own.

Dragondust

Hey I just wanted to add something you should know... "FREEDOM ISN"T FREE"

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

They may as well be coming home in body bags, the rate of suicide among US Veterans is fucking staggering. Many more US soldiers commit suicide than die in combat.

Regardless, they shouldn't have been there in the first place. The "War on Terror" is one of the biggest jokes ever (along with the "War on Drugs"). You can't kill an idea. What you can do, and what the US and it's allies have done is ensure that there will be plenty of business in the "War on Terror" for a long time to come. They've done this by invading foreign countries & killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people, destroying infrastructure & dropping entire. Creating ripe conditions to breed even more extreme groups, like ISIS, to emerge from the wreckage and recruit a shit ton of people whose loved ones were blown to pieces by highly inaccurate drone strikes (41 men targeted but 1,147 people killed: US drone strikes).

In practice the War on Terror does exactly the opposite of it's stated intent. It creates more terrorists, not less, and those terrorists are more extreme than the last ones.

Money. Power. That's what it seems to me. Somebody is getting paid from all this, the industry of war generates a shit ton of money, and it's in their interests to keep the War Machine rolling. Waging war on an idea rather than a country is the perfect way to keep it rolling forever.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Also, we're spending so much money on needless wars and military equipment it's insane. The Pentagon just this week (I think) asked congress to stop buying equipment it doesn't need. Somehow they're self interest in getting companies insanely rich are in our best interests and labeled freedom? ha!

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I agree that we should pull out all of our soldiers out of the middle east, but when you are over there, you have to protect yourself and your fellow soldiers. You don't just let the enemy murder you all.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Ding ding ding ding. We have a winner.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

2edgy4me

Dragondust

If you google them both..like I did you can hardly compare the two.

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

As a graduate student in history, I firmly believe that historical actors should be judged based on the information they had at the time. Did Chris Kyle likely know that Iraq was not as connected to 9/11 as the government had said? Probably not. Based on the movie (I have not read the book), I would say Kyle bought into what the government was selling. And that message was a War on Terror so that another 9/11 could not be carried out. What does this make him? Just another human being, honestly.

I don't understand why we hold people up to such high standards. Was Kyle a statesman? No. He was just a soldier doing what he had to do to get by. He was at war. No man is made of marble and above criticism, but some of the hyperbole coming out about him is simply atrocious.

And no, I am not some War on Terror apologist before any of you attack me for being so. I believe the US has done more bad than good in the Middle East and that includes the ongoing drone policy. The fact that we as Americans are largely comfortably ignorant about the atrocities committed in our name is abhorrent.