Marvel Movie Universe: Phase 2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by ChuckCheese, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'm still not sure how I feel about her playing Jessica Jones. I've only ever seen her in Breaking Bad and I hated her performance (although I also hated the character in general). I hope she can pull it off.

Now that we've got three of the four main Defenders cast, we just need to wait on Iron Fist. I hope it's Charlie Hunnam, personally.

2. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Daredevil Footage Descriptions From Scenes Not Shown In The Trailer

SPOILERS obviously.

I think that Krysten Ritter can pull of broken pretty well, and I actually really enjoyed her performance and breaking bad. I think she's great for this role as she's already shown a wide range in being happy and destroyed.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  3. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I'm alright with Krysten Ritter as Jessica.

What I'm not sure about is the story and the writing, since the showrunner of Jessica Jones is the screenwriter of all five Twilight movies.

4. Jesse

Well, that's not quite fair. Twilight was already fucking awful and there was no way to make a good script based off of the written material. no matter what.

5. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  6. Jesse

My HYPE is through the roof and out into space, orbiting Mars!

7. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Wow

8. The Joesen One

9. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

10. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

"An additional coda involving the Avengers eating shawarma was shot on April 12, 2012, a day after the world premiere" That was for the first Avengers. And it had it's US premiere (where the shawarma scene was first seen, it was not in there when I saw it on April 29th) on May 4th.

If they wanted to shoot a super quick cameo for Spidey right now to go into Age of Ultron, they absolutely could, going by the logic that it is now February and Age of Ultron premieres on May 1st in the US.

11. Will

I've got loads of thoughts on Spider-Man (finally) joining the MCU:

Casting
    — It's been said Andrew Garfield's out as Spider-Man. What does this mean for the rest of the cast? Will they be replaced? I'd guess the answer's an unequivocal and resounding yes. There really isn't any way you can recast the main character and not recast the rest of the characters. It just doesn't make any sense. As long as J.K. Simmons tops the list to play J. Jonah Jameson (again), I'll probably be OK with whatever happens. It's already been confirmed that this will be the Peter Parker Spider-Man, so Donald Glover playing Miles Morales will be out of the question (yes, I've seen that on other sites).

When will he appear?
    — As of right now, all bets are on Spider-Man appearing in Civil War – which, let's face it, was obvious. But I can see them casting Spider-Man in the next couple weeks and then filming a post-credits scene for Age of Ultron (not unprecedented, as pointed out above), featuring the newly-recast Peter Parker being bitten by a radioactive spider (keeping his origin true to the comics, as opposed to the original trilogy and The Amazing Spider-Man series). Then they can expand upon his storyline in Civil War, leading up to him choosing a side (Iron Man). I can see them explaining that the reason he decided to become a superhero after he was bitten was because of his idol, Captain America (which would be so goddamn perfect I'd be surprised if they don't go this route).

The Sinister Six and Carnage films should be canceled
    — I never thought a standalone Sinister Six film made any sense. If they all appear in one film together, why would they fight Spider-Man separately afterward? I mean, I'm sure they'd have done a two-on-one sort of thing with at least one of the films, but featuring all six villains and then not having them all fight Spider-Man at the same time just doesn't make any sense to me. "Yes, I know we could take him out if all six of us went after him at once, but how about we just send out Doctor Octopus this time?" It doesn't add up. As for Carnage, I've got a little bit different reasoning, which I'll explain next.

The Venom film should press on
    — Because Venom's such an important character to the Spider-Man universe and the Marvel universe overall, it makes sense to continue with the standalone Venom film to explain Venom's origins. Venom could battle Carnage in this film, which probably isn't exactly what people would want, but it sort of makes sense. Then Venom could find itself on Earth in a Spider-Man film, where it takes control of Spider-Man just as it does in the comics. Then, later, after Venom's "tamed," the character of Agent Venom (Flash Thompson) could be introduced to work with S.H.I.E.L.D. To me, that makes the most sense, but I'm sure other ideas are probably better.

Spider-Man's appearance in Civil War
    — I want to expand upon this one a little bit, which is why I saved it for last. So, in all likelihood, Spider-Man's going to appear in Civil War. This is pretty much a given at this point. (The only other film in which it would make sense for Spider-Man to appear would be Ant-Man, but that's pretty unlikely, and it'd have to be a post-credits scene like with Age of Ultron anyway.) So it's highly likely they've got a script completely finished (obviously things change as the films are being shot, so little edits could be made as they go along), but here's what I think they did: I think they had two separate scripts, one including Spider-Man, and one without. Now, I know that sounds pretty unlikely, but if they had a thought that Spider-Man's rights would either end up going back to Marvel or being completely won-back, I could see this being possible. This would make it easier to add Spider-Man into the film without simply shoehorning him in and making it obvious they just smashed his character into scenes. The way I can see it playing out is that they wrote specific scenes where Spider-Man could appear, but had the scenes written two separate ways: One featuring Spider-Man, and one without. (I feel like I'm repeating myself, I'm just kind of going with what I'm thinking and typing it as I think it.) It makes the most sense to me that they'd have done it this way, that way, if Spider-Man's rights reverted, they wouldn't have to completely rewrite the script, and if they never did, they wouldn't have anything to worry about. All they'd have to do is add in scenes featuring Spider-Man by himself and bring it full circle. I can see Civil War ending up being the longest Marvel film because of this. (And, in my opinion, it should've been called The Avengers: Civil War and it would've still been perfect to kick-off Phase 3, and then a solo Captain America film could've come afterward, but that's just me.)

Spider-Man's solo film
    — Once Spider-Man appears in a post-credits scene for Age of Ultron and then in Civil War, we'll get a solo film, tentatively titled Spider-Man. Since we'll probably get a lot of his backstory in Civil War, we won't need this film to be an origin story – he can simply jump in to kicking ass, which is exactly what a Spider-Man film needs. I've got no idea who they plan on using as a villain, but I'm hoping it's Norman Osborne/Green Goblin, because his storyline can tie in very, very well to other storylines currently ongoing in the MCU. At any rate, I think Spider-Man would be a great time to introduce Daredevil into the films, as Spider-Man and Daredevil are famous for their team-ups in the comics. Daredevil doesn't have to have a large role, but I think he should still be in the film. Since his solo miniseries on Netflix will be out and concluded by this point, it makes some sense to see him here before he teams up with Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Iron Fist in The Defenders.

I think those are all my thoughts. I'll probably have more later.

edit —

I had a couple more thoughts.

Jessica Drew should get her own Netflix miniseries to tie in to The Defenders
    I can't believe I didn't think of this before, but this would be perfect. Introducing Jessica Drew as Spider-Woman on the small screen and having her tie in with The Defenders would be awesome. I'll admit I don't know much about Drew or Spider-Woman in general, but I can see this working out perfectly, especially considering Drew's private-investigator past.

J. Jonah Jameson's crusade against Spider-Man
    JJJ's crusade against Spider-Man could apply to all the other superheroes in the MCU and could be a huge element to the Civil War storyline. I can see him going after Spider-Man and Daredevil initially, before moving on to other superheroes.

12. Jesse

Disappointed on the Black Panther delay. I'd be okay if they put in Miles Morales in a movie but they won't. :(

13. Will

I'm not quite sure I understand why they had to push back the release dates for the films. They could've easily slid Spider-Man in there without pushing any of the others back. And I don't understand why The Inhumans was pushed back until after Infinity War 2. That makes the least amount of sense to me.

14. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I've seen a bunch of people wanting Donald Glove to play Miles Morales. Why would we want another super old guy trying to play a teenager? Glover is 31. Garfield is 31 as well. Get some 18-year-old to play Spider-Man who actually looks like a kid.

15. Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

Because he was a huge inspiration for the character and has always been the #1 choice to play him. Even did so in one of the animated Spider-Man shows.
    But yes I agree with you, he is too old, even if he were playing Peter Parker he would be too old.

16. Will

I don't think Donald Glover should play Miles Morales because he voiced him in the cartoon. I also don't think Drake Bell should play Peter Parker just because he voiced him in the cartoon.

They should get that kid from Teen Wolf to play him. He's only 23 and looks young enough to pass as a high school kid.

edit —

I saw someone mention Logan Lerman. He'd be a great choice, too, I think. The only trouble's that there might be scheduling conflicts with the Percy Jackson movies, assuming they go forward with The Titan's Curse.

17. Jesse

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-deal-sony-opts-lease-772251

Younger actors will be sought for Spider-Man reboot; Sony 'leasing' Spider-Man

And

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/10/hugh-jackman-ponders-wolverine-joining-the-mcu

18. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

19. The Joesen One

[​IMG]

20. Will

I hope we get to see the Iron Spider costume in Civil War. It's not essential to the overall plot, but I think it'd be a good way for Tony Stark to sort of bribe Peter Parker into choosing his side.