"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Mike confirmed that was just a counting mistake, he didn't even notice it until someone pointed it out on Twitter weeks after the album release.

2. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

I think this is one of the really great songs from Living Things. The song is so wonderfully laid out, and it's hard for me to find things wrong with it. It's a really strong track. It's what Roads Untraveled could have been, imo. Tinfoil flows into it so easily and fluidly. The synths supporting the sweeping "oh"s by Chester and Mike, the piano, the drums. I just really like this track.

Want to point out that the video for the Powerless remix linked is pitched up, not the original pitch. I really like the Powerless remix, it's one of my favorites from Recharged.

Let's do ALTNC then THP, I agree.

3. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

This song :wub: :wub: :wub:

First of all, Tinfoil is a beautiful instrumental. The intricate drumming along with the smoothly flowing piano notes just make the song perfect. And the synth is one of my favorite parts about the song. It's such a unique sound and really stands out without it having to be really in your face.

Now onto Powerless. I could go throughout the day, just listening to the song on repeat (actually I think I have done that in school once). The heartbreaking lyrics along with Chester's amazing vocal performance is really want makes this song great for me (along with the drumming and synth). Do you ever feel like there's just that song that seems to be written about a certain point in your life? Powerless is that song. While I always loved this song, I started to like it a lot more after my relationship suddenly ended. "I watched you fall apart and chased you to the end. I'm left with emptiness that words cannot defend." That line really hit me hard, and when I really started to listen to the lyrics and that line came up I got the chills. It's one of those lines that are just so personal that you wouldn't really get unless you were in a similar situation. You held it all but you were careless to let it fall is a really powerful (yes, pun intended) line. It just shows a sense of moving on which is not really an apparent theme in this depressing song. This song and its lyrics are just so perfect.

The Powerless Recharged remix is pretty good and I'll listen to it every once in a while.

The Ascension Bound remix is almost as good as the original. The remix completely removes the depressing feeling of the original and replaces it with this really atmospheric and dreamy sound that I absolutely adore. This is one of those I'll turn on and just forget about the world and get lost in thought. That's how good it is.

Captain-EO likes this.
  4. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"Tinfoil" is flawless, in my opinion. Tremolo gtr is always good :)

I love the pno progressions and the drum rhythms in "Powerless" - always good when LP use non-traditional time signatures - but, as the closer on the album, I feel that it should really have packed more of a punch with its lead melodies and its arrangement. Much like "Pushing" and "Numb" on their respective albums, it could l've been placed anywhere in the tracklist.

5. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I would almost agree with you, but I find Powerless is thematically the best closer for the album. It wraps up all the frustration found in the rest of the album in an uplifting way. The only other song I could potentially put in its place would be Roads Untraveled, or if Brad's section in Until It Breaks was extended into it's own thing like Three Band Terror.

Really? I couldn't stand the remix and felt like I wasted 6 minutes of my life listening to it for the purpose of this thread. Felt like they took this brilliant, depressing ballad and turned it into a sloppy club dance anthem.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  6. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Tinfoil is pretty boring. It's nice for the full album experience, but rarely do I feel the need to listen to the track along with powerless. I like the guitar in it, that's about it. It was a little strange the way they used it to open Faint, but cool I guess.

Powerless is a great track. I've recently grown more fond of it than I ever have been. The time signature thing is really nice, and the chorus is such a solid melody. The song gets consistently better as it goes on, and feels like it's just long enough to breathe.

7. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

I absolutely love the Powerless remix. It expands upon the existing melody, which is something a lot of the other remixes fail to do. It's one of my favorites, if not my single favorite, off Recharged. If you listened to that video that you posted, you listened to a version that was pitched up, idk if you caught when I mentioned that last page :/

8. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Nope I listened to the real version from my Recharged album on iTunes. I figured the video link I posted would be normal so I never listened long enough to realize it was pitched up higher.

9. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

You're, like, the first person to ever say that in this community, I think :lol:

10. Filip

I wouldn't say I "absolutely love it" but it is one of my favorite remixes from the Living Things era. Glen Orpheus' remix blows it out of the water, though. That remix is perfect.

11. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

TINFOIL/POWERLESS is the best closer for LIVING THINGS. I would love to hear the "middle part" that link TINFOIL & POWERLESS.

12. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

a fresh new shittier op to celebrate our victory. i tried writing something for papercut but i had no fucking clue what i was doing and just proceeded to leave it at the video with a title in the style of faint's.

i really like tinfoil. it's really chill. there is not much to dislike to be honest. it's one of the better interludes the band has done. somewhere behind jornada del "goat" muerto. powerless is probably the best album closer the band has done since minutes to midnight, i'd say. the messenger was way off mark for me, personally. i feel as though the catalyst would have served as a perfect ending to a thousand suns imo, nevertheless. these tracks are probably on the better end of the spectrum in terms of the quality of the tracks on this record, as i really feel as though this is a fairly weak album in comparison to their previous two. and finally, i wasn't even aware there were a third piece of this finale that fitted between the two, whilst it certainly has my interest, i don't think i'll wish we got it anytime soon. i'm okay with how it concluded.

13. Filip

I suppose we could eventually add write-ups for all the songs that don't have them. The OP looks sweet.

For a long time I didn't get why people liked Tinfoil, as I thought it was a really boring instrumental compared to "Cure" and "Session". My opinion's changed now and I just love the feel of the interlude and how it leads into Powerless. So, I didn't like that one, but now I do. The opposite thing with Powerless. For a long time I was saying it's a great song that I just don't listen to much. Now I get that I don't listen to it 'cause I don't really like it that much. And it's weird. There's nothing about it that bothers me, it's just that when I'm listening to it, I wish I wasn't. Then again that goes hand-in-hand with my general enjoying of LP's midtempo ballads that I say I hate (read: I like Final Masquerade, I just wish it didn't exist.)

Runner up for most random for a reason. What I wrote doesn't even make sense to me.

14. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

Oh my god Filip, I thought I was the only one in that club :lol: Although, your posts just lack continuity, mine are sometimes just straight up crazy.

15. Filip

They do have continuity when I'm thinking about what I'm writing. Right now, I'm just typing whatever is in my head.

16. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Sums up my feelings.

Captain-EO likes this.
  17. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

I love "Tinfoil", seriously, I can't listen to "Powerless" without it. They're essential to each other. Just the way it slowly builds up and fades into "Powerless" is one of my favorite things the band has ever done, it's so chilling.

I wouldn't want "Powerless" any other way, it's the perfect closer for LT. It incorporates the whole trust/regret theme that the album builds upon, and just lets it all go. What LT means to me is an album about looking back upon your past, the relationships, the regrets/mistakes, and just learning to accept yourself.

"I can't fall back, I came too far, hold myself up and love my scars"

"You'll never know what I became because of you. Ten thousand promises, ten thousand ways to lose"

Looking back, this album contained some of my favorite lines the band has written to date, many of which I think most can relate or have meaning to in some form. This is one of those albums where I initially did not like a good portion of the tracks, and boy do I feel foolish for ever feeling so. I'm so glad I went back and gave this album another listen, otherwise I think my "LP favorites" list would be quite different :D.

Tinfoil/Powerless officially earns a spot in my current top favorites for sure. Permanently? Maybe so.

18. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I completely agree. This is what makes LT one of my favorite albums of all time.

Captain-EO likes this.
  19. Josh

Josh Met LP 8-13-14 LPA VIP

Before I start, I would like to seperate the two tracks, tinfoil and powerless. It is meant to be that way.

Tinfoil: it is a really peaceful instrumental with one of those "calm before the storm" moments happens to end the album. There are easily problems with this track though. There isn't really that much progression into the track until you get close to powerless. I wish it would have been longer, but it was longer in the first place (we need to hear the middle demo). Btw, I think MIKE just said "it was a mistake" that the album had 13 dots instead of 12, to not point out they cut a song at the last minute. Opinions are opinions though. Rating: 6.5/10

Powerless: it is a very powerful track, even though it is named "powerless" :kappa:
    It is a great ending track with beautiful sounds and melodies included. In the first half of year of listens, it was amazing. But after time, it kinda dies down and gets repetitive. It's just one of those tracks where I can only listen to it so often because it's repetitive. Also, there is just something.... Something that never "clicked" in this song. It never got to that "special" status. Overall, great song. 8.5/10 rating. (10/10 for effort into it)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  20. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

this is probably a horrible question, but does how much you listen to a song dictate how good it is for you? you kind of answered this in the later part, but, do u often listen to the band? i guess i'm asking this bc i rarely listen to the band anymore, but i do know where i stand with each and every song. so i rarely listen to powerless for example but i do know that it is one of the better songs on the album, imo.