The "How did LP make that sound" Thread - Research

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Arachnids, Apr 19, 2014.

1. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Oh, I suspect that that will remain a mystery forever ... :shinado: :shinado: :shinado:

2. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

You do know they're a manufactured boy-band right?

Why else would they have a multi-cultural rapper and such universally vague angsty lyrics?

3. minuteforce

They're also UNDEAD PUPPETS OF THE ILLUMINATI ▲▲▲▲ WAKE UP SHEEPLE

4. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Yes, I wonder :CUMULUS:

5. mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

6. Flenix

Flenix New Member

Anyone know how they got the synthy sound under the piano in the VERSES of Numb?

My band are covering it. I've sampled the steel pan pads onto an MPD16 with Kontakt (Happy to give anyone the patch on request) but can't quite get the verse sound right.

7. One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

does anybody know how the BTH intro was made. It almost sounds like a piano with effects and occasoional glitches here and there. DOes anybody now anything specifc?

8. Captain-EO

I know exactly what you mean. I can't tell you how to make the sound, only that it's a synth set to change pitch and oscillate fairly quickly. If you give the multitrack a listen you can hear it pretty well by itself.
    I don't know anything, but I made a very similar sound by manipulating a sample of my kalimba while muffling it to make the notes sort of "warble" to give it a tremolo-like sound.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  9. One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

Theres pretty much something that pops into my mind for every song so I'll start at the first song I have questions for: Papercut. There is this guitar-öike sound in the intro. I am not quite sure if its really a guitar or something that just put through loads of effects, does anybody have an idea how that was done?

10. minuteforce

Simply sampling this audio isn't the worst idea either

The first melodic element you hear in "Papercut" is not a gtr, and I didn't learn this until over a decade after I'd first heard the song. :)

"From The Inside" has a similar thing going on with a high melodic lead which resembles distorted gtr

11. AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

Is that what you're talking about?

12. Rikishi

Rikishi Banned

Very unusual, people thought that the guitar always sounds like Joe Hahn me now!

13. Captain-EO

Am I the only one to hear a lower-pitched version of the ending synth (the strings-based one that you can hear really well in the Smokeout video) of Papercut throughout the bridge on the last two beats of every measure?

14. Captain-EO

Bump.

I'd like to bring up everyone's favorite song, In Between. Many times people have questioned whether it's a real cello or synthesized. But can't you hear some sliding at the beginning? This leads me to believe that the cello in IB is either live or resampled.

15. minuteforce

No-one was credited for playing it, so either Phoenix tracked it or Shinoda played a sample instrument or both.

16. Captain-EO

I'm fairly certain they recorded something in the studio because of the slides. Because I highly doubt that if it was a professional sample they would use takes with really audible slides. They did away with classifying each band member as a certain role anyway, so there's no need to credit Phoenix if he did, because all the band members just do whatever they think they need to do.

That's what I think at least.

17. minuteforce

That's my point. Because no-one was credited, it was obviously a band member, whichever way it was done.

18. Captain-EO

I know, I just wanted to elaborate upon it :p

Here's a fun fact. The scratch sample used in Wretches and Kings is a sample of the crowd at the beginning of the sample of Mario Savio's speech. The very first time the scratching kicks in you can hear the sample playing once without it being scratched.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  19. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

This is PURELY speculation on my part, and may be completely wrong. Don't take my word as gospel (for once...:lol:), but I've always believed that the "cello" in In Between is actually a bassline that's been run through some kind of plugin that simulates the sound of a bowed instrument. It has a very sampled/triggered sound to it, but like you mentioned, the sliding sounds are an oddity. They also don't sound like the type of sliding sounds you'd hear on a bowed instrument, as bowed instruments are fretless, so any slides you hear on them should be very smooth, legato slides. The slides on In Between sound very metallic and harsh, the kind of slides you'd normally hear on a fretted instrument with wound strings...like a bass. Adding more fuel to this, the song-by-song quotes in the Minutes to Midnight booklet mention In Between as "consisting of little more than a beat and a bassline." Why would they say that but not mention the strings? The "regular" bassline just plays root notes and doesn't even come in until the second verse, while the string part runs throughout the whole song. I have no idea what kind of plugins may have existed for this type of application in 2006-2007, but I'd be amazed if there wasn't SOMETHING around that could do it. But yeah, to me that's always sounded like a sampled cello sound with random bass guitar sliding noises between each note, so I figured they pulled something like that.

20. Captain-EO

INTO THE BOOK OF ASTAT IT GOES! :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015