The lyrics... Oh god, the lyrics...

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Bawa, Sep 3, 2014.

Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

I don't know if this ever occurred to you guys but just from reading the booklet, notice how they are using all these war analogies about the state of rock music? That's how Chester's parts are connected with Mike's, in my humble opinion. Let me explain.

My theory is that all songs from track 1-6 are really about the state of rock, though as usual with LP, they're also vague enough to be interpreted differently. The second part of the album goes into different subjects.

Keys To The Kingdom
    The chorus acknowledges how they played a part in the current state of rock being what it is themselves and being frustrated about that (throwing the keys to the kingdom away). The next part is clearly about everything they've been talking about in the interviews. The hunt for something visceral and all:

"We start the final war
    Tell me what’s worth fighting for
    When we know there’s nothing more
    We take the hand or fist
    Just to sell ourselves for this
    The path we least resist"

Then there's the rapping. The rapping is written in a way more direct approach and is very aggressive/arrogant. But it's still on the same topic... Basically saying, rock being what it is, LP is the fucking band to change it. It makes sense.

All For Nothing
    The rapping continues in the same subject and relies heavily on military/war references. The chorus is about the pressure from labels/fans/media. Take a listen, it makes perfect sense. Also it says "OUR TRUST / BETRAYED" not "my trust". This to me is proof it's about the band and not some personal shit.

Guilty All The Same
    Obviously about pressure of labels/fans. I think everybody knows at this point, so I wont get into it. Rakim's part is on the same subject but like the other rapping, taking a more direct approach.

War
    War is basically about LP's new music coming out and destroying everything in it's way. It obviously relies on the war analogies, like the other songs, keeping the record rather consistent.

Wastelands
    The wastelands in this song is the state of rock and they have to "force themselves to choose" (to play visceral rock). The rapping continues the theme of the other raps.

--------

Until It's Gone
    Now this is where the album begins dealing with personal subjects. I can't stand the lyrics on this song personally, and it's pretty clear it was wrote when the band was in a different headspace. It can be interpreted in a number of obvious ways (leaving a loved one, etc.), but also the whole "letting a child go when they've grown up"-thing Mike talked about. I guess it could also be interpreted as the world letting go of true rock music.

Rebellion
    Continues the war terminology but with a different theme. I love the lyrics here, and they seem to be about the thing Mike was talking about on the Bill Maher show. How can they be angry at this point, how can you even be angry in this part of the world. People making this type music today, in their part of the world, are basically imitations of rebellion. He said on twitter the lyrics were ironic though, which point to the contrary. Maybe it's really making fun of people with the opinion that our problems are not real, because someone is in war far away. Who knows? I would for someone to ask him for a more in-depth answer on these lyrics. Either way, great lyrics.

Mark The Graves
    Obviously a relationship kind of song, from the whole "There was so much more to lose than the pain I put you through" part. I'm personally tired of LP using the "let it go" theme, they've had 14 songs on the subject even before this album. Just count the actual amount of times the words "let go" are used in LP's songs since Meteora. We get it LP, you should be able to let go of the past and move on.

Final Masquerade
    Another relationship kind of song. It's typical pop/rock lyrics, but they aren't necessarily bad. I still don't understand why so many people on here were impressed with the whole "The light on the horizon was brighter yesterday with shadows floating over..."-thing. It's basically the first analogy that comes to anyone's mind if you're talking about a radical change in your life, for the worse. Decent lyrics.

A Line In The Sand
    This song is again about the state of rock and LP's place in it. It starts out reflecting on the war they just fought (the whole album). The chorus and rap is about LP taking back the rock spotlight.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"Our" could just mean "your's and mine", though. That's another valid interpretation of that line, I think :)

SKaRR*oKi

SKaRR*oKi Everything.Falls.Apart

I thought most the lyrics on keys to the kingdom were great, apart from parts of mikes rapped verse which seems to mean little. But rapping to that tune at that part of the song was another curve ball in what was a curveball of a song.

I've never felt the way I felt listening to KTTK for the first time, when listening to any other song by any other band.

Has anyone mentioned the lyrics for A Line in the Sand being written during the ATS period. And they sound very similar to lyrics of that period of LP writing. The song sounds to me like the band reflecting on ATS, and laughing. Looking back at the album they've made, and realising how different it is and how they ignored the fans cry to go back to their old style.

The album as a whole, the lyrics are hit and miss. In my opinion.

opazlevi

opazlevi Member

I think you're taking the lyrics too literally.. is it not obvious that this song is basically about the hate they get and people complaining about their sound?

"Tell us all again what you think we should be. What the answers are, what it is we can't see. Tell us all again how to do what you say. How to fall in line, how there's no other way, but oh, we all know..."

Talking about people telling them that they need to go back to their old sound.

"Show us all again that our hands are unclean. That we're unprepared, that you have what we need. Show us all again, 'cause we cannot be saved. 'Cause the end is near, now there's no other way. And oh, you will know..."

People talking about how Linkin Park is passed their prime.

As for Until it's Gone, I don't think it's specifically about a relationship. Thinking about the lyrics, it could be about just not working as hard as you're supposed to, and not caring until it's gone basically lol.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Everyone interprets the lyrics differently and everyone thinks their idea is the "obvious" one. :) I say that the song's lyrics refer to a multitude of things. Rakim's verse is his addition to the overall vibe of the song, providing a fresh angle to look at things from.

Queef

Queef Banned

Terrible lyrics, the only track which approaches some sort interesting message is Rebellion (probably because Daron wrote them)

How do ya like them apples?

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Daron Malakian did not write the lyrics to "Rebellion".

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

Of course not, Serj Tankian did!

:rofl:

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Did you just join this site to hate on The Hunting Party? Cause there's YouTube for that :lol:

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

First Toca,now this guy?
    I need roflcopter

Captain-EO

We need a thread for Queef, Toca, and Fuck.

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

Not Fuck...He is hella deep...

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

Leave my bae Toca alone

brady

That's weird...

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

Your reasoning for this statement better be good

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

What if it's Mike, Chester, and Dave :nandu:

Queef

Queef Banned

If you Fuck Toca you get a Queef

Captain-EO

brady

You called "Toca" your "bae". That's fucking weird, dude.

God damn we're so off topic :lol:

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

The next one who uses "bae" i will definitely punch in his face :kappa:

God how i hate this word :lol: