Chester's vocals then and now

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Broman, May 11, 2014.

1. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

There are a few people who went to US THP shows before the whole remainder of the tour was canceled, and they said Chester was in the best vocal shape they've heard him in years. Mark from LPL being one of them (who said it's in great shape), and he's gone to close to 30 shows if not more.

Point being: Chester's voice goes up and down, much like any performer. There's tours/nights where he sounds absolutely legendary, and other nights where you worry for his voice. It's gonna happen.

2. outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

i still disagree, but its ok. this will be my last post about his voice here, before i get to annoying.

even chester's good recent good performaces are bad compared to his good performances from MTM or ATS era. his up and down kind of only goes down. we got used to his flat performances.

i'm also a big fan of STP, and weiland mostly suck live, even back in the day, but i barely notice it anymore. listen to him now and you will probably puke, when he had chester's age he still had some good moments, he was still in velvet revolver at the time, now he is 47 and his voice is unrecognizable for people that only know "plush" and the hits he had over his carrer.

chester is not even 40 years old, and just the fact that theres so much discussion on his vocal decline "proves" that it really is happening.

Mike patton for instance is nearly 50 and since 2009 tours with faith no more singing the stuff he did in the beggining of the nineties, and he pretty much nails anything. he has soe bad nights where he sounds like shit, but even on these nights you would be impressed.

the point is that chester's voice should be at a better shape, for 3 main reasons:

1.he is not as old as some of us seem to think he is, he should be able to sing most of his songs without any problem until he is 50 or so.
    2.he seems to be a pretty healty guy, no drugs and shit that caused damage to many other singers.
    3.i dont remember the 3ยบ reason because my brother is talking a lot here. but it is a good reason.

my brother wants to use the PC here, so excuse my mistakes, i didnt have the time to check and correct them

i think this sums up what i think:

3. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

I'm only a crack...in this castle of...

BAM BAM BAM BAM HEAVY HEAVY SYNTHS SYNTHS DOO DOO FUCKING KILL THE SONG.

4. Queef

Queef Banned

Chester has not been a strong live vocalist since 2008, sorry to say it but it's true. He consistently struggles to match up to his studio recordings. It's like his voice went from having three tones to one tone, hence why his sung choruses don't have they punch they used to unless they're double tracked. Even Steve Aoki has figured that out, Chester sounds great in their collaborations with him

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  5. Captain-EO

That would be because you can make the vocals sound perfect on a studio recording. Double vocals, pitch correct, etc. You can't exactly do all of that live.

6. Queef

Queef Banned

He coped just fine before.

7. Captain-EO

Just compare any live performance of Numb to the studio version.

8. Queef

Queef Banned

Compare any performance of Numb post-2010 to a performance of Numb between 2001-2003. Chester could at least get close to his studio performances before A Thousand Suns. Case closed.

9. Captain-EO

And now you're changing your own argument. So now the argument has shifted from Chester being godly before 2008 to him just being not as bad as he is now? And no, Numb live has never, ever been anywhere close to the studio version, nor will it ever be unless the band can bring several Chester Benningtons up on stage.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  10. Queef

Queef Banned

This fucking guy. :facepalm:

Chester has struggled to compete with his studio recordings since 2008, whereas before he could get pretty close to how he sounded. That clear enough for you, derpderp97?

11. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

SO the meaning of a live perforrmance is to be as close as possible to the studio version? i see :leo:

12. Captain-EO

Of course it is. That is, if you ask Queefer.

13. GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

Hmmm....No wonder people use playback :obama:

14. Queef

Queef Banned

Mother of God you people are pedantic. I'm out.

15. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

I think the synths add to the atmosphere of the lyrics. I like them. It's like being sad but being light-hearted about it.

You're the only saying Chester doesn't sound nearly as good as in studio recordings :lol:

16. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

[​IMG]

17. GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

Fixed!

18. outcastboy

it's impossible to sing numb or anything from meteora exactly the way it is on the album, because of the layers. theres no need to sing it exactly that way actually, but he could hit the notes. thats the point.

only songs like the messenger or everything from MTM can be sung perfectly live and he cant sing those too...

19. Captain-EO

See ya soon, Queef. :bradwink:
    I just feel like it kills a good song with an awesome metaphorical message in the lyrics. They can do it to BID, they can do it to LGM, or even STB for all I care. But I cannot stand the heavier dancey synths being put in a song like COG. I feel like it's a disgrace to the song.
    Exactly. LP loves to go all-out perfectionism on their stuff, so it's impossible to replicate live vocally. Expecting Chester to sound like the record is asking for the impossible in most, if not all, of these situations. Papercut, One Step Closer, With You, Points of Authority, Crawling, Runaway, By Myself, In the End, pretty much every song LP has released before THP is heavily effected and perfected on the vocals. Every one of those I just listed has more than Chester vocal line going on at once. Numb is the most glaring example of this, because there's like three or four layered vocals in that song, at the very least. There's no way for the band to do that live, even if Mike does vocals.

What's next, Queef hates Mike's rapping live because there are no accented words? :kappa:

20. outcastboy

but chester sounded good in these songs back then, even if it was not perfect. he could hit the notes and sound good.

listen to Crawling live in london 2001. thats an amazing live performance, crawling was amazing in 2007 too, it didnt had the raspy tone used in 2001 but chester could still hit the notes and there was even some vibrato. theres some great recent performances of numb too, like the Rio+Social in 2012 very different from the album version, but he sounds good. this same "concert" also has one of the last good New divide performances.

the layered vocals are no excuse, the layers dont change the note that he has to hit when singing it live. and since he could sing well these layered songs in the past, the only reason why he cant do it now is because his voice is indeed deteriorating.