The Hollywood Undead thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Hishaminayat, Jan 27, 2015.

Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Wow. I pretty much feel the exact opposite way for every song on the album.

Usual Suspects - 8.5/10: An absolutely bombastic track with a sick instrumental. Funny's verse is tight as fuck too. My favorite track they released until How We Roll.

How We Roll - 9/10: I immediately got hooked by the intro. It sounds like an opening credits to a cool 80s street gang movie (with cuts of city skylines). J-Dog's verse pumps me up and the interplay with Funny Man is cool. Same goes for Charlie and J3T. It might sound corny to some people but I think it's awesome how they just straight pimp each other (and claim to smoke more weed than Bob Marley :p). Danny doesn't have to stand out on every song (in fact, I prefer when he doesn't - it makes for a more well-rounded, classic HU track when you're not just waiting for the chorus) but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the chorus or how he sounds here anyways.

Day Of The Dead - 8/10: When I first heard it I was like "oh great, another typical HU song that brings nothing new to the table" and while that is mostly true, the song has grown on me and there's enough variety on the album to have one song for the fans of "classic" HU.

War Child - 5/10: Ehhh, it's ok. Not substantially better or worse than any other party pop song, but it's ok I guess. The lyrics are kinda stupid though.

Dark Places - 10/10: Possibly my favorite track on the album. The chrous is very relatable and Danny sounds great on it. I love how dark the beat is too, so cool. Especially the intro. J3T's hook is on-point as well. Then there's Charlie's verse. OH MY GOD that was disgusting! So fucking killer!

Take Me Home - 7/10: Pretty good in it's own right, but I only really liked the chorus and the bridge. But I loved the bridge.

Gravity - 4/10: I was pretty hyped for this song when the chorus leaked and people said it would be awesome, but then I heard the whole thing. And I realized that the chorus was the only thing that I liked, and that wasn't even too great, especially compared to Disease and Live Forever.

Does Everybody In The World Have to Die - 8.5/10: another dark song like Dark Places but much different overall. Sounds like something straight out of a horror movie. J3T is a fucking MADMAN and that bridge is just so lunatic, so demonic, so goddamn cool.

Disease - 7.5/10: The chorus is perfect. But the rapping isn't too strong. And the intro beat sounds eerily similar to Black Skinhead (you read that right).

Party By Myself - 6/10: There's really nothing wrong with this track, again especially compared to today's party-pop tracks. Lyrics are catchier and less cringe-worthy than War Child so it gets an extra point.

Live Forever - 9.5/10: Everything about this song is great. The verses are great, the way they utilize Funny Man right before the chorus is great, and the chorus itself is great. It's also probably the most uplifting song on the album (at least the standard version); Funny's lyrics make me smile and the chorus has me wanting to sing my heart out along with Danny. IMO it's superior to Gravity in every way and makes me wonder why they put both on the album. Maybe the ending could've been a bit better but that's it.

Save Me - 9/10: I also love everything about this song. The chorus and verses are great, and the instrumental and outro are just magical. Maybe there could've been a cool bridge or something, and maybe it's a little generic, but that's it.

Guzzle, Guzzle - 7/10: The rap track with Funny Man I've always wanted! Much better than Pigskin IMO. Funny's rapping is much tighter and the beats come in at just the right time. The chorus and bridge are really cool too. I'm docking 1.5 points for J-Dog's verse; they should've just left it all to Funny.

I'll Be There - 6.5/10: I was thinking this sounds just like imagine Dragons too. Nevertheless I think HU is almost as good at that sound as IG is, even if it's not exactly something I want to hear from them. Whatever, Charlie sounds surprisingly good though.

Let Go - 9/10: Sounds a little like Skillet, and I love them so that's good for me. J-Dog's verse is surprisingly better than usual for him (a recurring theme on this album) and I love the part where he and Danny both say "fuck love!" because hey, there's not much screaming anywhere else on this album. J3T's verse is great as usual for the closing track (of the deluxe, non Best Buy version). The guitar is sick, the bridge is pretty good, and the outro is amazing. The chorus is good but the outro is where Danny really shines. Much better than Outside, which I could never get into. The chorus was just too whiny for me.

Ghost - 8.5/10: At first I didn't like it but it's definitely grown on me, especially the chorus. 8.5 for being so smooth and melodic, which isn't very typical of HU outside the chorus.

Sing - 10/10: This might be my favorite soft song of all time. It's fucking PERFECT! The verses are nice and catchy and Dany is an absolute angel. And the synths and blips (idk what else to call them lol) make this song sound like something straight out of heaven.

Fuck The World - 8.5: The intro is really cool and so is the entire instrumental. J-Dog's verse is awesome too. Sure the lyrics in the chorus are stupid but they're signature HU. ("I wanna fuck the world!" Gonna need a pretty big dick for that...) With the instrumental it's probably the best chorus for a live setting on the entire album. And it's most dark-rock track on the album by far

I must admit I'm a HUGE HU fan. They're my second favorite band behind LP. That said, I think this is a very solid album overall with many songs that are objectively very good (If you believe there is any objectivity in music). I also think they write their lyrics from the heart more so than LP these days. Even if you absolutely HATE HU, I don't think you can hate "Ghost" or, at the VERY least, "Sing".

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Nah Gibs would totally hate on that song. I could imagine he'd say something like "vocals suck, too poppy." Which is a shame. Oh well.

Anyways, what I've noticed with most HU fans is that HU is a very hit or miss type of band, and this very true for this album in my opinion. So if you could make your dream Hollywood Undead album, what would the tracklist be? I'll do mine when I have more free time.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

The vocals do suck, but it's not inherently terrible to me just because it's "poppy." The song lacks 2 qualities important to any pop song: a catchy melody, and a memorable instrumental phrase. Combine that will lazy production + forced cringey rap, and you get a pretty terrible song IMO.

When I rated it in RTSA, I went with an open mind since y'all seemed to like it so much, but oh well. Hollywood Undead ain't gonna please everyone. They're music isn't trying to target the demographic I lie in. :lol:

brady

What I just don't understand is how you hate Danny's vocals. At times, I prefer Danny's vocals over Chester's. You may not like them, but there's no way you could call them bad. Deuce's vocals on the other hand... let's just say I'm glad that he's no longer in the band.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

It's less the tone of his voice, and more the way the lines are written. Like I said, I think the song lacks a great melodic line to really pull me in. The way he sounds so breathy, and is seemingly singing a bit out his range is what brings it down for me. I'm sure he is a great singer, but all of this plus the way the vocals are processed don't really compliment him.

And I would rant about the lyrics, but nah.... :lol:

brady

It's Hollywood Undead, is there really a need to? :lol:

Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Well THANK YOU for actually discussing what it is you don't like about the song. I sincerely mean that, even if I disagree and think that the melody is catchy. I was starting to think you just liked making HU fans feel like shit and weren't objectively analyzing the songs. And for that I apologize. :)

As will I. Should be fun.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

Did you ever get Deuce's solo "album" called 'They Call Me Big Deuce' after he left HU?? I got it because it was free and, on a scale of the worst things to happen on this planet, I'd rate it above 9/11.

Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Lol I did. And 9 Lives. Yeah his solo shit's pretty bad but some songs like America are slightly listenable to me at least. And I think Truth has an alright rapping voice even if most of his lines suck.

EDIT: And ironically Truth is actually better known for leading one of the biggest high-speed police chases of all time (and for what he had to say about it). Ironically, it ended in Hollywood.
    [video=youtube;WCg6z817dS8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCg6z817dS8[/video]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    brady

Here's my dream album:

Title: This Love, This Hate

1. Save Me - single
    2. From the Ground
    3. Lion
    4. Rain
    5. Mother Murder
    6. Gravity - single
    7. We Are - lead single
    8. Believe
    9. Black Dahlia
    10. S.C.A.V.A.
    11. Outside
    12. Let Go
    13. This Love, This Hate
    14. Ghost [Bonus Track]

Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Nice tracklist man. I'm making mine right now but it's proving tough to narrow it down. Will post soon though.

EDIT: See below

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Sorry for double-posting, but if I simply edited this into my last post you'd never know unless you checked the thread.

Ok here it is finally.

Album title: Nightmares & Dreams

01. Dead Bite
    02. Apologize
    03. Pour Me
    04. Lion
    05. Dark Places
    06. Mother Murder
    07. How We Roll
    08. El Urgencia
    09. We Are
    10. This Love, This Hate
    11. My Town
    12. Young
    13. Bullet
    14. City
    15. Paradise Lost
    16. Street Dreams (Bonus Track)
    17. Sing (Bonus Track)
    18. Live Forever (Bonus Track)
    19. S.C.A.V.A. (Bonus Track)

I know it's kind of long, but hey Day Of The Dead has 18 songs if you include all the bonus tracks. BTW I like how we both like Lion and Mother Murder, both very underrated HU songs.

brady

It's a pretty good album, but some of those songs I'm not a huge fan of personally (like El Urgencia, How We Roll, Dark Places). Also, I wouldn't consider Lion and Mother Murder to be underrated. It is my understanding that those songs are actually quite popular.

And while we're on the subject, I absolutely love Lion. Definitely one of my favorites from Hollywood Undead.

Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess I'd say Lion and Mother Murder are pretty popular with their hardcore fanbase. I just feel like the band somewhat under-utilized their potential by not making them singles and barely playing Mother Murder live (to date they haven't played Lion AFAIK). When I hear them I think "Damn, everyone should know these songs!" Lion especially pumps me up, and the bridge is just epic.

And I mostly just like their rap-centric songs because their lyrics are so cocky they make me laugh, I'm simple like that :p

brady

That's the side of them that I don't really like at all. Except for Lump Your Head. That song is so damn fun to listen to :lol:

Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Yeah, that song took a while to grow on me but now I love it. Charlie's verse at the end is definitely my favorite part.

LazorCozmic

LazorCozmic Banned

Top 10 HU songs I.M.O.

1. Been To Hell
    2. We Are
    3. Believe
    4. Lights Out
    5. Another Way Out
    6. Dead Bite
    7. Comin' In Hot
    8. Lion
    9. Undead
    10. Day of the Dead

brady

After just listening to Day of the Dead in full again, I've got to say that this album is pretty awful. Without any bonus tracks, this album would certainly be their worst, but is saved by songs like Ghost, Sing, I'll Be There, and Let Go.

LazorCozmic

LazorCozmic Banned

I actually don't deny that, and even the Day of the Dead itself, the mv didn't thrill me too much. I prefer Notes From The Underground

brady

Yeah, Notes From The Underground is my favorite albums by them. Songs like Outside, Believe, and Lion are love.