The biggest rip-off of an LP song ever?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by TobinKnowsBest, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Weird , right? :lol:

2. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I think people are really grasping at straws when they try to claim that someone "ripped off" a sequence of 4 notes...

3. LazorCozmic

LazorCozmic Banned

Sounds somewhat similar to Papercut I think.

4. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

It's not just the note sequence, the entire introduction sequence is structured near identically to Papercut, even the following riffs are remarkably similar.

I'm not saying it's a complete ripoff, but you would have to be musically impaired to not notice the similarity instantly if you are familiar with both songs.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  5. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Papercut is in the key of Db minor, Hero is in the key of Eb minor.
    Papercut has a common time feel at a tempo of 150 BPM, Hero has a half time feel at a tempo of about 72 BPM.

Papercut's intro synth sequence: root, 5th, 2nd, 5th, minor 3rd, 5th, 2nd, 5th (where the 5ths are below the root note), repeating twice.
    Hero's intro guitar melody: root, root, 2nd, 2nd, minor 3rd, minor 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, minor 7th, minor 7th, 4th, 4th, minor 3rd, minor 3rd, 2nd, 2nd.

The "remarkably similar" following riffs...
    Papercut: Db5, E (octave), Eb (octave), E5add9.
    Hero: Eb5, Gb5, Eb5, Bb5 (with maybe a Db5 accent chord thrown in as a transition somewhere).

I'm VERY familiar with both songs and I literally hear no similarity outside of the ascending/descending first 3 notes of the minor scale heard in the intro hooks, an incredibly common musical device used in countless contemporary songs, and it's still executed somewhat differently in these two songs anyway, as I pointed out.

...But don't listen to me, I'm "musically impaired."

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015
  6. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yeah, sorry you had to find out this way, Astat

/s

7. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

But that's not going to change the fact that a lot people find the intros similar to each other - in form of composition, instrumentation, mixing, production etc.
    - case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcrSSeuEpDQ - And yes I know that you can make mashups of everything, so it's not really a valid argument.. but still.

And I mean, It's not like Skillet is known for making the most original music in the world...
    I mean they do have a habit of letting their inspiration show a little too much, if you ask me...
    *cough* http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbgp1uxqH8E *cough* (the mashup is horrible but that's not the point)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  8. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

^This.

Comeon, Astat, you don't need to bust out the condescending smartass attitude, I'm not trying to insult anyone. You have your point, and it's entirely correct, but when it comes down to it, picking anything apart down to that level can falsify a lot of the posts in this thread.

also I hate feeling attacked almost every time you talk to me .-. I just wanna love you

9. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I never, ever had a single thought that those two songs sounded similar. And ya know what, I still don't. You guys are just nitpicking which we could do all day.

10. GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

Well it's not like both songs are ACTUALLY similar in term of keys or whatsoever.It's just this reminiscent...thing.

Some people IN FACT find "Hero" reminds them to "Papercut"(me being an example as the reason I found out about Skillet is because I heard "Hero" and I'm sure you already know what I thought).....

While some people,IN FACT never notice any kind of even slightly this sounds-alike thing.

So,let's just say:
    Blatant rip-off = No,
    Sounds Alike = Half yes half no(the fuck?).

Just my half assed (not really,PEACE!!!) two cents.

11. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

This is the whole ALITS/Victimized discussion all over again. I used to actually get the songs confused, I would hear one come on shuffle and think it was the other. Obviously multiple people think they sound similar. The only reason to break out the technical details would be to defend/accuse the artist of deriving from the other song. In which case, even the most detailed technicalities of the song don't prove anything. It's like arguing about lyrics and what they mean, the only true way to know is to ask the author.

12. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

+1

13. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

You go into too much detail. The guitar sound, tone, and the entire song feels Linkin Parky to some people.

14. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

This was most likely done because TNA wrestling couldn't obtain the rights to use Papercut as a theme, so they more or less made their own.

15. JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

I'm also one of the people who was reminded of Victimized instantly when I first heared ALITS. But when you're getting used to the song, this isn't as striking anymore.
    For me, it's just ALITS's character to sound a bit similar to other songs, just because of the GATS (and Wastelands? I don't know anymore :D) similarities. By being like this, it concludes the album nicely, imo.

16. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

There's always one person that's gotta be "that guy" :lol:

17. Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

This. I don't care about the technicalities, it just sounds similar to me.

18. LazorCozmic

LazorCozmic Banned

[video=youtube;_i38oom8ARE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i38oom8ARE[/video]

This kinda sounds like Don't Stay, (only the intro though) pretty much the same format and tempo but different riff.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  19. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

I think the thing that set him off was the fact that you said you had to be "musically impaired not to see the similarity".

Btw Astat your post fucking made my day. :rofl:

20. MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

[video=youtube;e8YmnttGgho]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8YmnttGgho[/video]